Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes 5: signs 7 years, $50M

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hayes’ 5v5 points/60 and xGF% were both higher this season than in his legendary campaign last season. Wonder how many people are aware of that.

But well below the two previous seasons, I wonder what factors into that, schemes, teammates, puck luck.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Funny how it was an excuse when Giroux played through it in that down season, a few years back--and rightfully so, I might add--and it effected his next Season also... also when Moose had core based problems that had to be corrected... which also impacted the following Season. IIRC I believe there was another player with core a based injury the same Season as G.

Yes, I agree with the person who said the haters will ignore it and keep hating on him. The double standards applied to players by some fans is really both unfair and often hypocritical.

It was obvious to me, and probably all open minded fans that Hayes was just not right much of this season... just as it was with G, when he was laboring through it and had an off season. G in my mind should be admired for his playing through injuries without complaining... same should be said to others who do. People will ignore how Hayes downplayed it after this season... saying he had a minor injury that will be addressed in the off season.

I think when Hayes appears to not be having fun... something is wrong. I remember how Danny Briere had that shoulder injury but he just played on... even though he couldn't even give his celebration arm pump due to the injury.

I imagine Hayes may be hampered next season, if his is like Giroux's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghosts Beer

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Core surgery would definitely have an impact on Hayes' effectiveness. The problem is he was an issue last season and at the start of this one. It explains why it looked like he wasn't even trying to skate hard at times this year. I don't blame him holding up a little while injured and this team being god awful.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Core surgery would definitely have an impact on Hayes' effectiveness. The problem is he was an issue last season and at the start of this one. It explains why it looked like he wasn't even trying to skate hard at times this year. I don't blame him holding up a little while injured and this team being god awful.

Not so sure it is as much him holding up... or holding back... as much as maybe his being unable to shift to another gear, or go to another level. I've never had the injury, but from what I understand, it's very painful.

From all indications, he appears to be a good teammate who gives his all... but there has to be a limit as to what even the best gamers can endure. I'm sure he could have pushed to be shut down, had he wanted it... but that would be being selfish... I think he did a decent job setting up his linemates with setups... he just couldn't be his old self on the PK, and on his two-way game.
JMO

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
With the team being realistically out of the playoffs for months and Hayes playing like garbage, exactly what was the benefit of him playing through it instead of just getting the surgery and having a few extra months to recoup before next season? So that Hayes could look like a tough guy?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
With the team being realistically out of the playoffs and Hayes playing like garbage, exactly what was the benefit of him playing through it instead of just getting the surgery and having a few extra months to recoup before next season? So that Hayes could like like a tough guy?

Well, Frost went down, Laczynski went down, Patrick was MIA. We kinda lack depth at center.
I think once he got used to playing with it, he just gutted it out.

Where it probably hurt him the most was the PK, if it took away his first step, it would explain why he wasn't making plays on the puck near the blue line like he did the year before.

However, this mantra that Hayes was this selfish player who wouldn't pass:
He had 10 first assists at ES, one more than Couts, and 5th on the team.
The year before he only had 7.

Reactions: Sawdalite

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
So Fletcher doesn’t shut down Hayes when philly was out of a playoff spot and wait until after the season to have Hayes go under the knife for a major surgery which could put Hayes out anywhere from 3 months to 9 months depending on the severity of the injury. :shakehead

Just look how long it took other hockey players to recover from that type of surgery and come back, even if Hayes comes back, let’s say December he won’t be anywhere near 100%. It takes time and physical therapy to restrengthen the core muscles.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So Fletcher doesn’t shut down Hayes when philly was out of a playoff spot and wait until after the season to have Hayes go under the knife for a major surgery which could put Hayes out anywhere from 3 months to 9 months depending on the severity of the injury. :shakehead

Just look how long it took other hockey players to recover from that type of surgery and come back, even if Hayes comes back, let’s say December he won’t be anywhere near 100%. It takes time and physical therapy to restrengthen the core muscles.

Well, we don't know how severe it was.

Giroux was both a hip and abdominal injury, so it might have been more extensive.

Claude Giroux Injury: Updates on Flyers Star's Recovery from Hip Surgery

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Well, Frost went down, Laczynski went down, Patrick was MIA. We kinda lack depth at center.
I think once he got used to playing with it, he just gutted it out.

Where it probably hurt him the most was the PK, if it took away his first step, it would explain why he wasn't making plays on the puck near the blue line like he did the year before.

However, this mantra that Hayes was this selfish player who wouldn't pass:
He had 10 first assists at ES, one more than Couts, and 5th on the team.
The year before he only had 7.

My answer to that is who cares? Pick a scrub off the waiver wire if you have to. Hayes playing at 50% sure wasn't the difference between making the playoffs and not.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Well, it was clear something was wrong with Hayes. He must have downplayed it to the staff if just weeks ago they were acting like it was minor.

Reactions: Sawdalite

Bigkarl

Dec 27, 2017
Well, it was clear something was wrong with Hayes. He must have downplayed it to the staff if just weeks ago they were acting like it was minor.

Well that’s quite a ringing endorsement of the staff. You can see from tv that there’s something clearly wrong with him, but the training staff that interacts with him on a daily basis and is supposed to, you know, diagnose and treat injuries, can’t figure it out. “Hey KevDog, can’t help but notice you seem like you’ve been in a lot of pain and struggling out there lately. How about we get an MRI on that thing to make sure it’s not serious?”

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
They probably did get a MRI, and Hayes was told he probably wouldn't damage it further.
Remember, a good part of the team had COVID, Frost was out, Laczynski soon went down, and it wasn't until April that "all hope was lost."

Hayes TOI by month:
Jan 18:46
Feb 19:21
Mar 17:44
Apr 16:00
May 15:58

So it looks like the injury occurred in early March, with the team still in contention for a PO spot.
16 points in his first 18 games
15 points in his last 37 games

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Not so sure it is as much him holding up... or holding back... as much as maybe his being unable to shift to another gear, or go to another level. I've never had the injury, but from what I understand, it's very painful.

From all indications, he appears to be a good teammate who gives his all... but there has to be a limit as to what even the best gamers can endure. I'm sure he could have pushed to be shut down, had he wanted it... but that would be being selfish... I think he did a decent job setting up his linemates with setups... he just couldn't be his old self on the PK, and on his two-way game.
JMO

He lacks the vision in either end to either consistently set up his teammates or be a consistently plus defender in his own end. The myth of his PK abilities comes from the fact he scored the SH goals we haven't seen in years, but he does it by consistently cheating. His bad habits and lack of hockey sense were exposed as soon as he had any sort of physical disadvantage.that doesn't bode well for the next 5 years.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Well that’s quite a ringing endorsement of the staff. You can see from tv that there’s something clearly wrong with him, but the training staff that interacts with him on a daily basis and is supposed to, you know, diagnose and treat injuries, can’t figure it out. “Hey KevDog, can’t help but notice you seem like you’ve been in a lot of pain and struggling out there lately. How about we get an MRI on that thing to make sure it’s not serious?”

Jim McHacksaw probably just threw him a bottle of pain killers and told him to stop being a p***y.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

There wasn't a single comment this entire season in any GDT that "something looks off," at least that I saw, and I'm pretty sure I saw all of them. It's convenient hindsight for people who still, for whatever reason, want to maintain the delusion that he is anything but bang average at absolute best, and shit garbage more often than not.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There have been numerous comments the last month or two about Hayes not playing good defense, not playing well on the PK (and his PK time was gradually eliminated), about him not scoring.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
There have been numerous comments the last month or two about Hayes not playing good defense, not playing well on the PK (and his PK time was gradually eliminated), about him not scoring.

Right, because he f***ing sucks. Not a single peep about him looking like he was carrying an injury. Face it, he's f***ing terrible.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad