Confirmed with Link: Kevin Hayes 5: signs 7 years, $50M

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I'd bet against that, but his first year as a Flyer was misleading as well
So the largest continuous segment of his career as a Flyer, the 69 games he played in 19-20, was the most misleading part of his time in orange and black. Very interesting. Especially since that was before he had any sort of abdominal injuries.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
So the largest continuous segment of his career as a Flyer, the 69 games he played in 19-20, was the most misleading part of his time in orange and black. Very interesting. Especially since that was before he had any sort of abdominal injuries.
Compare it to the two years before, and his scoring when healthy since, and it seems to be the anomaly.
pp/60 (5x5)
2017-2019: 2.11
2019-2020: 1.59
2020-2022: 1.86

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
It's almost like getting 1c usage is going to inflate his stats a little bit...

I mean, divorced from contract, most people don't think Hayes is a bad player, right? If he has one strength, it's his creativity with the puck. He's basically a 50 point, above average middle 6 puck carrying center. It's really not a stretch to say if you give him every last ounce of scoring usage on the team, at every strength, that he could stretch that a bit higher -- and Konecny and Farabee are the only top 6 players on the team. He's also rocking a nearly 18% shooting % at all strengths, which is top 10. That's probably going to normalize.

He could very well end up with a career year.......on a bad team, which would be partly why they're a bad team. And I can use the same logic applied to certain other players: Hayes is stat padding.

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
To be fair, I'm pretty sure @Captain Dave Poulin doesn't think Hayes is bad, either.

uhhhh-steve-buscemi.gif

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I mean, divorced from contract, most people don't think Hayes is a bad player, right?

1. This is, by some distance, your worst post ever.

2. Do you realize that when you post something so ridiculous and irresponsible I get dragged back into this horror thread for at least the second time in one day after it was necrobumped for some reason?

DAVIDE1333

Dec 22, 2019
As least it's not a contract year. Maybe the Flyers (hopefully) new GM will realize it's time to overhaul and actually be able to get rid of his contract. And I don't think he's an awful player. Just paid too much on an awful team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I mean, divorced from contract, most people don't think Hayes is a bad player, right? If he has one strength, it's his creativity with the puck. He's basically a 50 point, above average middle 6 puck carrying center. It's really not a stretch to say if you give him every last ounce of scoring usage on the team, at every strength, that he could stretch that a bit higher -- and Konecny and Farabee are the only top 6 players on the team. He's also rocking a nearly 18% shooting % at all strengths, which is top 10. That's probably going to normalize.

He could very well end up with a career year.......on a bad team, which would be partly why they're a bad team. And I can use the same logic applied to certain other players: Hayes is stat padding.
He's not stat padding b/c Torts would kill him.
That is, he's not neglecting defense (cherry picking, etc.) to pad his offensive stats.
He's just not a great defensive center. That didn't matter so much with a healthy Couts.

Now his stats may be "inflated" from where they'd be as the 2C, but not by much, he might play 1-2 minutes more a game at ES, which would increase his ES scoring by 7-15%. He'll also get a boost being on PP1. If Atkinson and JVR were healthy, he's have similar quality wings, even with a healthy Couts.

So if his norm as a 2C was 50 points, he may get 60-70 (5-10 at ES and another 10 or so from a bigger PP role).

It's one reason I look at 5x5 scoring per 60 when comparing players, total points scored can depend on usage.

prototypical4thliner

Jan 12, 2017
Remove all other things except for playing metrics and results, gun to your head, tell me you don’t take Hayes over deslaurier.

Hell of a barometer I know.

If he was paid 2-3 million less, actually played as a third center, and not force fed down our throats, I wouldn’t have an issue. But he’s not.

There have been plenty of ugly hockey players who were effective. Remember Tyler Kennedy?

Magua

Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
He's not stat padding b/c Torts would kill him.
That is, he's not neglecting defense (cherry picking, etc.) to pad his offensive stats.
He's just not a great defensive center. That didn't matter so much with a healthy Couts.

Now his stats may be "inflated" from where they'd be as the 2C, but not by much, he might play 1-2 minutes more a game at ES, which would increase his ES scoring by 7-15%. He'll also get a boost being on PP1. If Atkinson and JVR were healthy, he's have similar quality wings, even with a healthy Couts.

So if his norm as a 2C was 50 points, he may get 60-70 (5-10 at ES and another 10 or so from a bigger PP role).

It's one reason I look at 5x5 scoring per 60 when comparing players, total points scored can depend on usage.

“Ghost was padding stats, awful advanced metrics.”

Ghost last season: +0.7 relxGF%
Hayes this season: +1.1 relxGF%

Kevin Hayes on one of the worst rosters in the league, seeing top line usage……kinda looks like padding stats to me?

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'm not backreading this shit, but damn. Are the Flyers so bad that Kevin Hayes contract needed a bump?

Stop making me scroll to find the soccer thread when I come back here you f***ing heathens.
Why would anyone give two sheets about this franchise. Management doesn't. I'm amazed everytime I meander into the postgame threads and see the masochists on the hamptster wheel of negativity. Call me when the house is torn down to the studs.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I'm not backreading this shit, but damn. Are the Flyers so bad that Kevin Hayes contract needed a bump?

Stop making me scroll to find the soccer thread when I come back here you f***ing heathens.
Just put it on ignore and you won't have to.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3