Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

P10p

May 15, 2012
IMO it's obvious Fiala is poor defensively and a Turnover machine. Dredge up whatever stat you want but I'll believe my eyes. Can that change? I sure as hell hope so because he's a net liability right now.

See an eye doctor?

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'm not paying for the athletic. Can you be more specific on what was said?
I don't know if there was more to it on the radio show other than the summary on the Athletic, but this is from the article.

Question from fan Mary: Do you miss (Mikael Granlund) as much as I do, were you surprised by what little return we got for him, and what can you do to get him back when he’s a free agent?

Well, No. 1, quite frankly, I was very shocked that he was traded. You know, he wasn’t having his usual offensive great year, but at the same time, he was our best player. Once we lost Mikko (Koivu) at center and Charlie (Coyle), we had no more centers, so I was more shocked that they traded him at that stage than anything else. When we got Kevin (Fiala) back, I don’t know how you could say how little return. … He got two points 5-on-5, and the rest were either empty-netter or pull the goalie or power play. I mean, in his defense, it’s really difficult to come in to a team two-thirds through the year mainly because when we were losing these guys, they were the most popular guys on the team. So you come in and you’re sort of not being who you are. So I think if he does sign back with us that he’ll be an awful lot different player this year than he was last year. That’s my hope anyway.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Wonder if him not signing as anything to do with the GM change. Fenton praised Fiala as a potential superstar in this league, sure his agent thought he would pay above market value. With GMBG there is no "my guy" mentality and maybe the offers are more in line with his production.

Reactions: AJ Thelen

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ya, Guerin has no stake in Fiala. It wouldn't be a great look for the team as a whole, but if Fiala's demands are out of line, then MN can trade his rights to someone else, and Fenton would be blamed for the whole cock up.

Granlund didn't have a good year with NSH, and will probably be a difficult sign for the notoriously stingy Preds, who have other vets they have to worry about. I wonder if they would go for a do over? I sure would.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Ya, Guerin has no stake in Fiala. It wouldn't be a great look for the team as a whole, but if Fiala's demands are out of line, then MN can trade his rights to someone else, and Fenton would be blamed for the whole cock up.

Granlund didn't have a good year with NSH, and will probably be a difficult sign for the notoriously stingy Preds, who have other vets they have to worry about. I wonder if they would go for a do over? I sure would.

I like the idea of trying to get him back in free agency. But we still have the center issue, and putting more big money into a wing might create and issue unless they trade some other wing(s) for a center.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Hardly any of the RFA's have signed yet. I wouldn't read much into it.

Zero interest in bringing Granlund back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund is another LHS forward, but one who has proven he can play a good RW, and he can also be a #2C in a pinch, though it's not his best position.

P10p

May 15, 2012
I could see us looking back on this in the end saying "and we ended up with nothing to show for Granlund"......

Wabit

May 23, 2016

We now have Zucc for the next however many years, and he's on par with Granny as an offhanded RW. It wasn't just with the Preds Granny was off, the last few months here he wasn't good (by the previous seasons standards) either.

I don't read much into Fiala not being signed yet. The GM change had to have put a lot of the negotiations in limbo with all the RFAs. It seems that there are a lot of unsigned RFAs around the league right now. Trouba/Nylander RFA holdout effect?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I could see us looking back on this in the end saying "and we ended up with nothing to show for Granlund"......
The chances of Nashville only getting a year and change of Granlund from this trade are substantially higher than that of Minnesota getting "nothing" from it.

Reactions: P10p

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
I honestly couldn't care less when we get Fiala back. Let him sit if he wants to. Wild are going to be shit this year and Fiala won't be the difference maker.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Could he be playing hardball because he want’s out?
Unlikely. It doesn't sound like he was thrilled with his role in Nashville and there was reportedly some friction with the coach. I realize that every player says that they're "eager for a new start/opportunity" after getting traded, but there was probably a fair bit of truth to that with Fiala.

Not that his first few months in Minnesota were amazing or anything, but we're still at the tail end of the honeymoon phase here. These drawn out negotiations are just becoming the new normal with RFAs.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Why is it a veteran misses training camp and it's no big deal. A young player misses it and he's going to have a bad season? Fiala isn't a rookie anymore. He's been to a few camps. Or is it that he is new and uh...

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Why is it a veteran misses training camp and it's no big deal. A young player misses it and he's going to have a bad season? Fiala isn't a rookie anymore. He's been to a few camps. Or is it that he is new and uh...
I must pay even less attention to this time of year than I realized. When have veterans missed camp in the past?

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com
I honestly couldn't care less when we get Fiala back. Let him sit if he wants to. Wild are going to be **** this year and Fiala won't be the difference maker.

Agreed. We don't need Fiala. More ice time to guys like Sturm. But, I think the Wild will surprise everyone. It's not really THAT impossible for the team to make the playoffs. The Wild already has one of the best blueliner depth in the league. All they need are some veterans to have big years … and to stay healthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad