Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taylor26

Nov 12, 2011
minneapolis
Fiala had a -23 +/- year last year and has had 1 close to 50pt season. 2.5mil x 2years or 3mil x3 years. Close to a Jason zucker bridge?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Injuries and the such.
Regardless of age or contract status, I don't think anyone's going to hold it against a player if they miss camp because of an injury. And I can't think of a Wild player under contract that's missed camp for any other reason, but it's a hard thing to search for.

Personally I'm not to the point of holding it against Fiala yet, either. With the late GM switch it makes sense that some timelines will run a little longer than they normally would. But if we start creeping up on preseason games and he hasn't signed yet...

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'm not sold on Fiala, for better or worse, but have no problem with him holding out. Everyone has a right to ask for what they are worth. I also have no problem with Guerin saying, "No."

Reactions: W75 and Nsjohnson

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Seems fair and a bridge is probably the right move for both sides here.. Glad to have it done, not that it actually took all that long.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Agreed. We don't need Fiala. More ice time to guys like Sturm. But, I think the Wild will surprise everyone. It's not really THAT impossible for the team to make the playoffs. The Wild already has one of the best blueliner depth in the league. All they need are some veterans to have big years … and to stay healthy.
I like your optimism, brother. Hope you’re right.

Reactions: a79krgm

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I like the deal, fair for both sides.

Did Fiala wait just long enough to skip out on BB's first day skating test? :sarcasm: (yes, BB will make him do it when he gets to the team).

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
what was said in the story?
Nothing major. Guerin just made a few comments about how bad it would be if he wasn't at camp and how much it could hurt his season/the team. I don't like trying to turn the fan base on the kid just to put a little pressure on him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
what was said in the story?

The portion of Russo's article with Guerin quotes:

“We’ve made him a fair offer and he’s deciding,” Guerin, in Traverse City, Mich., for the prospects’ tournament, told The Athletic during a phone interview Tuesday morning. “I understand the position he’s in. I’ve been in it a couple times myself. We want to get him in as quick as possible because if you miss training camp, the chances of you having a good year aren’t very good. We want to get him in here and get him going.
“I’m just speaking from experience that you’re better off being in camp than not. For Kevin’s sake and our sake, I hope he’s there, I really do.”

Guerin, who played 1,263 regular-season games and another 140 playoff games in 18 seasons as a player, has been in Fiala’s shoes.
In 1997-98 with the New Jersey Devils and in 1999-00 with the Edmonton Oilers, Guerin was late arriving to each of those teams due to contract disputes.
“Both times it did not work out for me,” Guerin said. “Of course, at that time I thought I was doing the right thing, but looking back now, the difference that it made for me money-wise didn’t really make a difference. It went into November and I had bad years.”

“I don’t know what his other options are. They’re probably the obvious ones,” Guerin said, likely referring to playing in the KHL or somewhere else in Europe. “I hope we can get this done, get him here, get going and put this all behind us.”

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Nothing major. Guerin just made a few comments about how bad it would be if he wasn't at camp and how much it could hurt his season/the team. I don't like trying to turn the fan base on the kid just to put a little pressure on him.
The portion of Russo's article with Guerin quotes:

“We’ve made him a fair offer and he’s deciding,” Guerin, in Traverse City, Mich., for the prospects’ tournament, told The Athletic during a phone interview Tuesday morning. “I understand the position he’s in. I’ve been in it a couple times myself. We want to get him in as quick as possible because if you miss training camp, the chances of you having a good year aren’t very good. We want to get him in here and get him going.
“I’m just speaking from experience that you’re better off being in camp than not. For Kevin’s sake and our sake, I hope he’s there, I really do.”

Guerin, who played 1,263 regular-season games and another 140 playoff games in 18 seasons as a player, has been in Fiala’s shoes.
In 1997-98 with the New Jersey Devils and in 1999-00 with the Edmonton Oilers, Guerin was late arriving to each of those teams due to contract disputes.
“Both times it did not work out for me,” Guerin said. “Of course, at that time I thought I was doing the right thing, but looking back now, the difference that it made for me money-wise didn’t really make a difference. It went into November and I had bad years.”

“I don’t know what his other options are. They’re probably the obvious ones,” Guerin said, likely referring to playing in the KHL or somewhere else in Europe. “I hope we can get this done, get him here, get going and put this all behind us.”
thanks for that I did read that. I didn't think it was a dick move to put that in the media. an honest opinion from his past doesn't hurt.

Reactions: TaLoN and Nsjohnson

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
thanks for that I did read that. I didn't think it was a dick move to put that in the media. an honest opinion from his past doesn't hurt.
It makes it look like it's Fiala decision alone to hold out, and that holding out is a negative thing. looking at the contract signed, it's pretty clear that Guerin was the on holding things up.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yeah, I don't have any issues with Guerin's comments. Just stating the truth.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
It makes it look like it's Fiala decision alone to hold out, and that holding out is a negative thing. looking at the contract signed, it's pretty clear that Guerin was the on holding things up.
I think it's more likely you're reading into things too much. Sometimes people can say things without a hidden meaning. [mod]

Last edited by a moderator:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It just looks like an honest answer to a question that was asked. He probably did say more than needed to be said, but I'll chalk that up to him being a rookie GM.

A vet GM probably would have said something like: "We have a fair offer on the table and are working with him to get the contract done. We really want to get him in camp as soon as possible."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad