Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can't imagine it being a bad thing that is for sure. Just wanted to compare apples to apples is all.

His whole turnover thing may be a sign he was brought up too early though.

Do you wanna hear some names of guys that are in the top 20 most giveaways this year?

Johnny Gaudreau, Brent Burns, Mathew Barzal, Leon Draisaitl, Drew Doughty, Dylan Larkin, Mike Hoffman, Morgan Rielly, David Pastrnak, Connor McDavid and Nikita Kucherov.

Can you give the turnover thing a rest now?

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Do you wanna hear some names of guys that are in the top 20 most giveaways this year?

Johnny Gaudreau, Brent Burns, Mathew Barzal, Leon Draisaitl, Drew Doughty, Dylan Larkin, Mike Hoffman, Morgan Rielly, David Pastrnak, Connor McDavid and Nikita Kucherov.

Can you give the turnover thing a rest now?

When he plays like any of them I will be happy to. He sure doesn't though.

Jeez dude I need to buy you a fiala jersey for how much you are in love with him. Sorry I am being critical of you personal jesus

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I can see the ek and fiala comparisons since they both have a few NHL years I them. Greenway and Donato don't so that is sort of apples to oranges
If you compare this past year, a year in which they are all the same age, Fiala ran away with his scoring. 39 points is higher than 25 points which is higher than 24 points which is higher than 14 points. That is apples to apples.

When he plays like any of them I will be happy to. He sure doesn't though.

Jeez dude I need to buy you a fiala jersey for how much you are in love with him. Sorry I am being critical of you personal jesus
Answer this question: Is there nothing promising about Greenway, Donato or Eriksson Ek? If you say yes, then I have no problem with just disagreeing and bowing out of the conversation because at least there is consistency in that train of thought. If you say no, there is something promising with those three, that's where I start to have issues with your opinion because of the fact they are all the same age and Fiala continues to put up better offensive numbers than any of them. There's no consistency if you say that.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
If you compare this past year, a year in which they are all the same age, Fiala ran away with his scoring. 39 points is higher than 25 points which is higher than 24 points which is higher than 14 points. That is apples to apples.

Answer this question: Is there nothing promising about Greenway, Donato or Eriksson Ek? If you say yes, then I have no problem with just disagreeing and bowing out of the conversation because at least there is consistency in that train of thought. If you say no, there is something promising with those three, that's where I start to have issues with your opinion because of the fact they are all the same age and Fiala continues to put up better offensive numbers than any of them. There's no consistency if you say that.

My point is that because he had more time in the nhl he should have the better numbers. Fiala has had 2 more years to adapt to the speed and style of play than greenway and donato. Development isn't a statistic on a linear curve with the x axis a being age and the y being points

I would hope that fiala has more points or else it would be pretty damning.

After next year or so I can see a better comparison being made but you have to give the rookies a chance to adapt to the NHL game before an honest apples to apples comparison can be made.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
My point is that because he had more time in the nhl he should have the better numbers. Fiala has had 2 more years to adapt to the speed and style of play than greenway and donato. Development isn't a statistic on a linear curve with the x axis a being age and the y being points

You were comparing Fiala and Granlund "at the same age" earlier

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I am all of a sudden having a weird and irrational burst of optimism about this guy. 50+ points next year?

He has obvious physical talent, and an offensive mindset, just needs to have it tempered by a bit of common sense, which i think he can get by seeing TOI. Sort of the wing version of Dumba.

There is no doubt that we need a player(s) to make an offensive impact up front.

Still would far rather have Granlund, but what's done is done.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
I am all of a sudden having a weird and irrational burst of optimism about this guy. 50+ points next year?

He has obvious physical talent, and an offensive mindset, just needs to have it tempered by a bit of common sense, which i think he can get by seeing TOI. Sort of the wing version of Dumba.

There is no doubt that we need a player(s) to make an offensive impact up front.

Still would far rather have Granlund, but what's done is done.

Yeah I like to have optimism with him as well. He is super skilled and I am curious to see what he does with a full season with us.

Who would you guys play with him?

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
No clue. He's a wild card. Zucker/Greenway and Ek?

Our forward lines are a mess.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Yeah I like to have optimism with him as well. He is super skilled and I am curious to see what he does with a full season with us.

Fiala - Staal - Zuccarello
Fiala - Staal - Donato
Zucker - Staal - Fiala

I wouldn't really mind any of these.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
Fiala - Staal - Donato
Zucker - Staal - Fiala

id like it to be fiala - staal - donato. he seems to need a shooter on his line by the looks of it. not saying he cant and wont shoot but I think he likes to pass more than shoot which would fit in well with donato and staal.

a79krgm

Jul 15, 2006
White Bear Lake
www.northstarshockey.com

Who knows? I see this guy as a total wildcard this season. He had a pretty good showing with the Swiss team (4g, 7pts in 8GP) this spring. Still, Fiala strikes me as a kid who tries to do too much. I've seen those types of players before and they're frustrating to watch. I think Fenton has a lot at stake with him and he knows it. Maybe he will respond and have a career year?

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Fiala - Staal - Donato
Zucker - Staal - Fiala

I'd really like that one if the development plan for him is to be a goal-scorer, which I think it should be. Would love to see what he could do with a guy like Zuccarello feeding him. The issue becomes who has to play their off-side though.

This is what I hope to see:

Parise - Koivu - Kunin

Donato/Zucker - Rask - Zucker/Donato (Only worry with this line is how many goals might end up in the back of our net)

Foligno - Ek - Hartman

(Greenway in Iowa as the 1LW or 1C with PP time to develop the offensive side of his game)

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
I'd like to see Parise drive a line with two kids.

Parise-JEE/Kunin-Fiala would be fun to see.

Not a terrible idea either. I really want to see Parise and Kunin together because of the same competitive drive that both of them seem to have. I just don't know if this team can afford to play Kunin at center right now, with only having Hartman and Zucc as the only other 'true' RWs.

A Parise - JEE - Kunin line would be interesting to see, since it would allow JEE to play with talent. Boudreau has such an endless amount of possibilities with where players could go next season. I can't even imagine what this team looks like in 1-2 years with the addition of Kap, Boldy, and whoever else makes the leap.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Ek should be playing above Rask in the lineup. No way that Parise isn't the #1LW, and Zucker isn't the #2LW. Donato is probably #3LW. His game isn't suited to being a 4th liner, while Greenway's is. Zucarrello and Fiala will be the top two RW's, Kunin #3RW, unless he is moved to C. His handedness makes that a bad move for this team, IMO. My lineup, to start the season;

Parise Staal Zucarrello

Zucker Ek Fiala

Donato Rask Kunin

Foligno Greenway/Sturm Hartman

Once Koivu comes back some hard decisions will have to be made. Things are wide open in the middle six. I can definitely see a trade being made. I hope that Fenton isn't get too invested in one of his recent acquisitions, and considers them to be moveable pieces if the deal is right.

Oh, and i can see Rask being moved down to the 4th line pretty quickly. Greenway together with Kunin and Donato might be interesting, with Kunin and Greenway swapping FO's depending on which side of the ice they are on.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'd like to see Parise drive a line with two kids.

Parise-JEE/Kunin-Fiala would be fun to see.
Parise has never been capable of "driving" a line. At this point he needs to be attached to Koivu and have them just play a grinding two way game.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008

Granlund. (I'm really only half joking. If Granny's no good in Nashville this year, maybe we can bring him back).

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Granlund is likely going to have a bounceback year. I don't know if he'll reach ~70 points like he has in the past, but you can't honestly tell me he just suddenly got bad out of the blue. I think it likely that there were outside factors that went into his down season last year, and I'd be surprised if he let those factors keep him down forever. It's not like he was bad to start the year (though he was shooting at an rate that wasn't sustainable).

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Granlund was given a lot of prime offensive TOI in MN, and his stats benefitted from it. Maybe he isn't receiving the same TOI in NASH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->