Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeagleJenkins

Jul 17, 2018
Minnesota
It makes it look like it's Fiala decision alone to hold out, and that holding out is a negative thing. looking at the contract signed, it's pretty clear that Guerin was the on holding things up.
I didn't read into his comments as a negative just stating what has happened.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It just looks like an honest answer to a question that was asked. He probably did say more than needed to be said, but I'll chalk that up to him being a rookie GM.

A vet GM probably would have said something like: "We have a fair offer on the table and are working with him to get the contract done. We really want to get him in camp as soon as possible."
This is how I see it as well. It's not a big deal, but why make it seem like it's all on Fiala? Especially now that we know it was Guerin who was lowballing Fiala in the negotiation.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This is how I see it as well. It's not a big deal, but why make it seem like it's all on Fiala? Especially now that we know it was Guerin who was lowballing Fiala in the negotiation.

I don't see $3M x 2 as a lowball. It's similar to what Nino got for a bridge as far as money, with 1 less year attached. Evolving Hockey had him at ~$3.1m x 2, you had him in the $3m-$3.5m x 2 a few days ago.

What I'm wondering is how much Fenton and Guerin offers differed to Fiala?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He asks for examples and you reply with "injuries and such" lol great examples to back up the bs you just make up....

Parise missed training camp in 2017: Nearly a week into Wild training camp and still no Zach Parise.

I can't find anyone further than that as most of them deal with recent injuries. I remember Marian Gaborik sitting out of camp in 03 due to a contract dispute.

I want to know the sources of 2Pair's alleged allegations that Parise is the source of the issues in Minnesota.

P10p

May 15, 2012
Parise missed training camp in 2017: Nearly a week into Wild training camp and still no Zach Parise.

I can't find anyone further than that as most of them deal with recent injuries. I remember Marian Gaborik sitting out of camp in 03 due to a contract dispute.

I want to know the sources of 2Pair's alleged allegations that Parise is the source of the issues in Minnesota.

Now now, let a not try to point the finger at other posters just because you know you're wrong.

Your original post was along the lines of "how come when a veteran misses camp it's nothing but when a young guy misses camp it's a big deal". Well, you can look at it like that if you want, but in fact parise missed camp as you said, due to injury. If you cant see the difference between missing camp with an injury vs missing camp as a holdout well, you're beyond help.

Mind you it is all moot now as fiala had signed. But nonetheless, you shouldn't post false information just because it fits your narrative. Research is a click away....

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Now now, let a not try to point the finger at other posters just because you know you're wrong.

Your original post was along the lines of "how come when a veteran misses camp it's nothing but when a young guy misses camp it's a big deal". Well, you can look at it like that if you want, but in fact parise missed camp as you said, due to injury. If you cant see the difference between missing camp with an injury vs missing camp as a holdout well, you're beyond help.

Mind you it is all moot now as fiala had signed. But nonetheless, you shouldn't post false information just because it fits your narrative. Research is a click away....

I also pointed out Gaborik, and the concern was more about how he was holding out, not that he was missing training camp. Missing training camp is still missing training camp, regardless if it's an injury or because of a hold out. It didn't stop Parise from popping in 15 goals in 42 games. In the end, the result is the same; a player misses training camp. Why does it matter, if it is an injury or if it's due to a hold out? What about a young player not making training camp (say if Fiala is injured instead of holding out) makes it any different than a veteran missing training camp? Why did Guerin make that comment? If Fiala's position at risk?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
It's not football. There isn't a playbook to learn.

Training camp is there for 2 reasons: 1. for younger players to get noticed, and 2. for players to hit opening night at the correct conditioning level. A young player missing camp has an effect both of those.

Reactions: P10p

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Didn't Kemps miss some of camp a few years ago due to a contract dispute?

Not many miss camp unless it's due to an injury. You can't really make a big deal out of a guy not playing because he physically can't.

Only RFA's can hold out; which is the only leverage they have when it comes to contracts. UFAs (at least ones that are worth anything) will all have deals done before camp starts.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't see $3M x 2 as a lowball. It's similar to what Nino got for a bridge as far as money, with 1 less year attached. Evolving Hockey had him at ~$3.1m x 2, you had him in the $3m-$3.5m x 2 a few days ago.

What I'm wondering is how much Fenton and Guerin offers differed to Fiala?
If Fiala had to hold out just to get to the bottom of his "market value" then it clearly wasn't Fiala that was holding things up.

It's a great deal for the Wild, so if Guerin's interview played a part in that then it was done perfectly. I just didn't care for the way he did it in the media. :dunno:

It's a hell of an improvement over the Ek deal.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
If Fiala had to hold out just to get to the bottom of his "market value" then it clearly wasn't Fiala that was holding things up.

It's a great deal for the Wild, so if Guerin's interview played a part in that then it was done perfectly. I just didn't care for the way he did it in the media. :dunno:

That's some behind the scenes things I'm not privy too. Fenton could have made something like a $3.5m x 2 offer and Fiala (or his agent) tried to hold out for more for all we know.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
That's some behind the scenes things I'm not privy too. Fenton could have made something like a $3.5m x 2 offer and Fiala (or his agent) tried to hold out for more for all we know.
What Fenton might or might not have done has zero bearing on anything.

Reactions: Jilpat

Wabit

May 23, 2016
What Fenton might or might not have done has zero bearing on anything.

When it comes to a contract it does. $3m might have been the only offer GMBG ever made to Fiala, if he was offered more by the previous guy he could have been trying to wait just to get back to that number.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

The bottom of your market value.

This is assuming that Fiala "holding out" caused the offer to be raised at any point. Guerin also could've just had his heels dug in at $3M from when he was hired, at an amount that he thought was fair, like he said.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
The bottom of your market value.

This is assuming that Fiala "holding out" caused the offer to be raised at any point. Guerin also could've just had his heels dug in at $3M from when he was hired, at an amount that he thought was fair, like he said.
If Guerin had his heels dug in at $3M, then he really wasn't at all concerned with getting Fiala in to camp on time.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
If Guerin had his heels dug in at $3M, then he really wasn't at all concerned with getting Fiala in to camp on time.
What if Fiala was insistent on 5 or 6 years? There's more to this than the dollar amount. Russo previously stated Fiala and the Wild were off on both term and dollar amount. It's possible Fiala just finally gave in to the bridge deal.

As for the deal itself, works for me. Bridge seems to be the way to go.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I'm sure he's "concerned" about the Spurgeon situation. Doesn't mean he needs to overpay him just to resolve it.
Completely agree. But if you're willing to hold out on your end to get him signed at the very bottom of his "value", then it isn't really cool to talk in the media about how bad it would be for the team if Fiala holds out.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
What if Fiala was insistent on 5 or 6 years? There's more to this than the dollar amount. Russo previously stated Fiala and the Wild were off on both term and dollar amount. It's possible Fiala just finally gave in to the bridge deal.

As for the deal itself, works for me. Bridge seems to be the way to go.
Fair points although I don't remeber reading the bolded?

I just have a hard time believing that Fiala's asks were too outrageous given what he actually signed for.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Fair points although I don't remeber reading the bolded?

I just have a hard time believing that Fiala's asks were too outrageous given what he actually signed for.
He responded to a question on that MN writer mailbag on the Athletic a few days ago.
Q: What is the hold up on the fiala signing? Money, term?
A: both

That was the only mention of it that I've seen.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Completely agree. But if you're willing to hold out on your end to get him signed at the very bottom of his "value", then it isn't really cool to talk in the media about how bad it would be for the team if Fiala holds out.

I think he was actually saying how it would be bad for Fiala himself as a player, and not so much the team.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I think he was actually saying how it would be bad for Fiala himself as a player, and not so much the team.
regardless, it's still Guerin trying to put pressure on Fiala through the media. It's not a big deal, and it worked perfectly in the end. Just not something that I agree with.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
It makes it look like it's Fiala decision alone to hold out, and that holding out is a negative thing. looking at the contract signed, it's pretty clear that Guerin was the on holding things up.
I don't see it that way at all. Boudreau mentioned at the fair that when players miss significant time during the camp/preseason it hurts their season. Sounded like Guerin was pointing out that the team is worse off if Fiala isn't at camp.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
I don't see it that way at all. Boudreau mentioned at the fair that when players miss significant time during the camp/preseason it hurts their season. Sounded like Guerin was pointing out that the team is worse off if Fiala isn't at camp.
I'm not arguing that what he said was wrong. My point is that the way Guerin said it made it sound like it was Fiala that was making the decision on his own. There are 2 sides to a negotiation.

Look at the comment section of that article, or even a few of the posts here. "Screw em if he doesn't want to sign" "who does he think he is holding out for more money" "we don't need him anyway". A lot of that comes from reading an article where Fiala is painted as the bad guy despite the fact that none of us know what was being negotiated. Guerin is smart enough to know that his comments would only add fuel to that nonsense. It's not a huge problem or anything, I just feel that those comments were unnecessary.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I'm not arguing that what he said was wrong. My point is that the way Guerin said it made it sound like it was Fiala that was making the decision on his own. There are 2 sides to a negotiation.

Look at the comment section of that article, or even a few of the posts here. "Screw em if he doesn't want to sign" "who does he think he is holding out for more money" "we don't need him anyway". A lot of that comes from reading an article where Fiala is painted as the bad guy despite the fact that none of us know what was being negotiated. Guerin is smart enough to know that his comments would only add fuel to that nonsense. It's not a huge problem or anything, I just feel that those comments were unnecessary.

You definitely have a very good point. I doubt Guerin was trying to make Fiala the bad guy when he said that stuff, but that’s certainly how it ended up, at least to some fans. Especially for a player who just got here, was part of a controversial deal to get him here, and hasn’t really had a chance to prove himself here. There are already some fans looking for any reason to dislike Fiala, and Guerin’s phrasing, even if unintentional, gave them some more ammo.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
You definitely have a very good point. I doubt Guerin was trying to make Fiala the bad guy when he said that stuff, but that’s certainly how it ended up, at least to some fans. Especially for a player who just got here, was part of a controversial deal to get him here, and hasn’t really had a chance to prove himself here. There are already some fans looking for any reason to dislike Fiala, and Guerin’s phrasing, even if unintentional, gave them some more ammo.
I think that's the biggest reason that I kind of cringed when I read the article. The guy already has more than his share of haters for reasons not even in his control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad