Player Discussion Kevin Fiala

Status
Not open for further replies.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Weren't you just giving me **** for comparing plus-minus of people on two different teams?

No, and I'm not comparing Barkov and Kopitar.

Are you going to tell me that those two are bad defensively or are you going to admit you're using a garbage metric to push a garbage point?

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Then look at what each of them did plus-minus this year. Like you said same teams lol
Granlund since Thanksgiving was -10 in 40 games for the Wild and -5 in 20 games for the Preds
Fiala was -12 in 19 games for the Wild and -11 in 64 games for the Preds

Did you have a point?

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
No, and I'm not comparing Barkov and Kopitar.

Are you going to tell me that those two are bad defensively or are you going to admit you're using a garbage metric to push a garbage point?

It may be a less than stellar metric but it proves my point that that you can easily verify with the eye test and that fialas excessive turnover ability is a defensive liability and is therefore much worse of a complete player.

That metric was an illustration of a point that many are blind citing statistics when the truth is obvious.

Its like saying Cousins, or Bradford the year he played for the Vikings should have been the league mvp because they had a ton of yards or had a super high completion percentage

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
It may be a less than stellar metric but it proves my point that that you can easily verify with the eye test and that fialas excessive turnover ability is a defensive liability and is therefore much worse of a complete player.

That metric was an illustration of a point that many are blind citing statistics when the truth is obvious.

Its like saying Cousins, or Bradford the year he played for the Vikings should have been the league mvp because they had a ton of yards or had a super high completion percentage
It doesn't come close to doing that

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Ok. Then you keep on saying that fiala is as good of a 2 way player as granlund. Lol

He literally already conceded that Fiala is not as good defensively as Granlund. The point is that, regardless of that, the difference between Fiala and Granlund's play down the stretch (and after Thanksgiving, really) is negligible. Nothing else matters. The value of this trade is not dependent on what the two players did in 2017. It's dependent on what happens from here on out, and SO FAR, the difference is negligible.

There's also the fact that Fiala is likely going to continue to improve, while Granlund has either plateaued or will decline going forward.

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
He literally already conceded that Fiala is not as good defensively as Granlund. The point is that, regardless of that, the difference between Fiala and Granlund's play down the stretch (and after Thanksgiving, really) is negligible. Nothing else matters. The value of this trade is not dependent on what the two players did in 2017. It's dependent on what happens from here on out, and SO FAR, the difference is negligible.

There's also the fact that Fiala is likely going to continue to improve, while Granlund has either plateaued or will decline going forward.

Yes they have been somewhat equal in points over 15-20 games. That's a tiny sample size though.

However saying what either will be in the future is guessing at best. Both could turn into dumpster fires. I guess I would rather go with the guy that has skill and looks like he actually knows how to play the game. That is why I brought up the 2 way ability and fialas massive turnover ability.

Granny is 27. It's not like he is 34+. He had plenty of prime years left that we gave up for a lottery ticket in fiala. We take more of the risk in the trade though.... which is why everyone said we got taken in the trade in the first place.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
Yes they have been somewhat equal in points over 15-20 games. That's a tiny sample size though.

However saying what either will be in the future is guessing at best. Both could turn into dumpster fires. I guess I would rather go with the guy that has skill and looks like he actually knows how to play the game. That is why I brought up the 2 way ability and fialas massive turnover ability.

Granny is 27. It's not like he is 34+. He had plenty of prime years left that we gave up for a lottery ticket in fiala. We take more of the risk in the trade though.... which is why everyone said we got taken in the trade in the first place.
Who is using that sample size?

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There should have been a pick or something coming with Fiala; probably Nashville's 1st. It is what it is.

The risk isn't all one-sided though. There's a risk that Fiala doesn't put up the numbers Granlund did from 2016-18... but there's also a risk that Granlund doesn't. And while Fiala's upside is more uncertain he's got several years of team control and reasonable contracts ahead of him.

The Predators, on the other hand, have found themselves in a somewhat precarious situation. I'm guessing that neither the team nor the player is going to be gung-ho about an extension this summer and if he goes into next year without a contract they run the risk of losing him to UFA. If that happens they've given up one of their most promising young forwards for some of Granlund's worst NHL hockey.

Ultimately I wouldn't send Fiala back to Nashville for Granlund, which makes it hard for me to be too down on it.

2Pair

Oct 8, 2017
There should have been a pick or something coming with Fiala; probably Nashville's 1st. It is what it is.

The risk isn't all one-sided though. There's a risk that Fiala doesn't put up the numbers Granlund did from 2016-18... but there's also a risk that Granlund doesn't. And while Fiala's upside is more uncertain he's got several years of team control and reasonable contracts ahead of him.

The Predators, on the other hand, have found themselves in a somewhat precarious situation. I'm guessing that neither the team nor the player is going to be gung-ho about an extension this summer and if he goes into next year without a contract they run the risk of losing him to UFA. If that happens they've given up one of their most promising young forwards for some of Granlund's worst NHL hockey.

Ultimately I wouldn't send Fiala back to Nashville for Granlund, which makes it hard for me to be too down on it.
Completely agree. The value Fenton got in that trade was awful, but it's starting to look like the timing was perfect. If Granlund was still here and had finished the season like he did in Nashville, people would be talking about getting rid of him before the draft.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Completely agree. The value Fenton got in that trade was awful, but it's starting to look like the timing was perfect. If Granlund was still here and had finished the season like he did in Nashville, people would be talking about getting rid of him before the draft.
Yeah, and I suspect that he'll probably bounce back and continue to be a very good player. But the timing of his slump and the need for an extension is a nightmare.

Last edited:

NHL1674

Whatever...
Sponsor
Aug 8, 2008
Minnesota
Yeah, I will never like the initial trade for the fact that there should have been a pick coming back with Fiala. That said, Granny has been a mess and really hasn't picked it up with the Preds. Now he can certainly rebound next year, and I'm not sold on Fiala. But that is one hell of a big question mark of what Granny is worth in terms of his next contract based on his decline lately.

Rask Decisions

Don't take it too seriously
Jul 6, 2006
Keansburg NJ

There is nothing promising about Fiala unless you're a fan of the opposing team and you're talking about his careless puck handling.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
There is nothing promising about Fiala unless you're a fan of the opposing team and you're talking about his careless puck handling.
Bet you were a big Matt Dumba fan 2-3 years ago as well. But hey, maybe someday we'll all get to enjoy a Minnesota Wild team that's known for responsible, low-event hockey.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
There's certainly a group of Nashville fans that would undo the trade (not a large group, but a group), and there is another group already in favor of trading him before he hits his next contract.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012

Oof

Bet you were a big Matt Dumba fan 2-3 years ago as well. But hey, maybe someday we'll all get to enjoy a Minnesota Wild team that's known for responsible, low-event hockey.

Oof

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Dude is the same age as Eriksson Ek, Greenway, and Donato. Here is the best season for each of them:

Fiala 80GP 23g 25a 48pts
Donato 56GP 10g 15a 25 pts
Greenway 81GP 12g 12a 24pts
Eriksson Ek 75GP 6g 10a 16pts

Are Donato and Greenway also not promising players then? What about Kunin? He's not far from their age and his best season was 49GP 6g 11a 17pts.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
One thing for sure about Fiala...he is paid a hell of a lot less than Granlund. Granlund was consistent, then his game went away, but Nino and Coyle were posters boys for inconsistency.
I still see energy and effort from Zucker, and his speed is still there, but his game is lacking finish, and maybe a bit of luck.

Reactions: TheeNorthStar

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Dude is the same age as Eriksson Ek, Greenway, and Donato. Here is the best season for each of them:

Fiala 80GP 23g 25a 48pts
Donato 56GP 10g 15a 25 pts
Greenway 81GP 12g 12a 24pts
Eriksson Ek 75GP 6g 10a 16pts

Are Donato and Greenway also not promising players then? What about Kunin? He's not far from their age and his best season was 49GP 6g 11a 17pts.

I can see the ek and fiala comparisons since they both have a few NHL years I them. Greenway and Donato don't so that is sort of apples to oranges

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I can see the ek and fiala comparisons since they both have a few NHL years I them. Greenway and Donato don't so that is sort of apples to oranges

Is that not a credit to Fiala that he was able to make the NHL sooner and post a 48 point season?

BlackBusa24

Dec 13, 2018
Is that not a credit to Fiala that he was able to make the NHL sooner and post a 48 point season?

I can't imagine it being a bad thing that is for sure. Just wanted to compare apples to apples is all.

His whole turnover thing may be a sign he was brought up too early though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad