News Article: Kessel May Take Gary Roberts' Fitness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

wulfio*

Kessel works out for sure. But you can tell he is focusing more on fast twitch training as opposed to much endurance stuff. And based on his apparent high body fat %(for a pro athlete), he likely has a terrible diet. Unless he just has terrible genetics. But from the cookie jokes the players make, I'd say it's the former.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
He's a professional athlete who gets paid millions and will be retired by the age of 40 or earlier. I'm not saying he can't take any days off, but at least do some kind of working out. You don't have to go all out or anything, just do some light workouts once a day or 3/4 days a week. It's not that hard when you don't have anything else to do.

Kessel works out every day, sometimes twice, and has a very healthy diet. He is a very healthy individual who takes his hockey very seriously.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would worry about Phil working out with Gary Roberts. He might get injured or just plain too exhausted to last the season.

Maybe he could work his way up with Jane Fonda doing a few 20-minute workouts first? Mind you, it has been 30 years since Jane was on TV doing that, but I've heard the average 77-year-old Jane is in better shape than the average 27-year-old Phil.

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
Kessel is a top NHLer. It's disgusting the way people talk about him and straight up make **** up. The double standard for Kessel and the media is sickening.

This is so true. Sometimes I feel bad for him in his interviews because he must just want to tell them to flock off. He definitely isn't a guy that likes the limelight either.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
So wild claims can't work both ways? What a shock. :laugh:

So, you don't have any proof?
I love it when people like you constantly defend Kessel, demand 100% accountability to prove everything negative to the nth degree . . . and any claim or comment by commentators, teammates, ex coaches are all BS.

But make a claim that he has some kind of very healthy workout routine in the offseason, something no one has ever claimed for Kessel . . . and you think it should be allowed as a viable opinion.

Laughable, really.

He himself claimed quite otherwise! He told us he takes it easy, relaxes, doesn't think or talk hockey, skates maybe 10 times in the summer.

where is anything close to a hint that Kessel works out every day? In the summer? I guarantee there is not one time that Kessel has ever said that . . .

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
So, you don't have any proof?
I love it when people like you constantly defend Kessel, demand 100% accountability to prove everything negative to the nth degree . . . and any claim or comment by commentators, teammates, ex coaches are all BS.

But make a claim that he has some kind of very healthy workout routine in the offseason, something no one has ever claimed for Kessel . . . and you think it should be allowed as a viable opinion.

Laughable, really.

He himself claimed quite otherwise! He told us he takes it easy, relaxes, doesn't think or talk hockey, skates maybe 10 times in the summer.

where is anything close to a hint that Kessel works out every day? In the summer? I guarantee there is not one time that Kessel has ever said that . . .

You must have missed the last part of the quote

Kessel explained. “I probably take a month off. I live in Florida in the summer, so I go down there and golf and fish and do that kind of stuff and get away, and then I’ll start working out again.â€

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
You must have missed the last part of the quote

I did miss that part.

Kessel explained. “I probably take a month off. I live in Florida in the summer, so I go down there and golf and fish and do that kind of stuff and get away, and then I’ll start working out again.â€

Ok, so by Kessel's admission, he doesn't work out at all for about a month, then starts up again after about a month. Fair enough.

Still nothing about working out every day, or every second day, or any indication that he has any kind of exercise or fitness routine that a regular NHL has. That was my problem with the claim (can't remember the poster) they made - that Kessel has some kind of arduous workout program. Which is normal actually for a pro NHLer, but unheard of in regards to Kessel.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I did miss that part.

Ok, so by Kessel's admission, he doesn't work out at all for about a month, then starts up again after about a month. Fair enough.

Still nothing about working out every day, or every second day, or any indication that he has any kind of exercise or fitness routine that a regular NHL has. That was my problem with the claim (can't remember the poster) they made - that Kessel has some kind of arduous workout program. Which is normal actually for a pro NHLer, but unheard of in regards to Kessel.

You're familiar with the workout programs of 700 plus NHLers?

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I did miss that part.

Yet you have no problem stating Kessel does not work out at all without anything to back it up.

Got it

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
I did miss that part.

Kessel has zero obligations to reveal his workout plan to us. Also do you have proof that a 'regular' NHLer works out every day? Why does Kessel need to prove this to you, but no one else does. Or are you sitting waiting to review the workout plan of every Toronto Maple Leaf that is currently signed or will potential sign with this team?

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
He said so! He doesn't work out at all for a month! Reread what Kessel says please . . . I think you need some kind or reading comprehension course.

Shocking! A player takes a month off from hockey after the rigors of an NHL season is over. You think Towes and Kane and the rest of the Blackhawks have done anything yet?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Kessel works out for sure. But you can tell he is focusing more on fast twitch training as opposed to much endurance stuff. And based on his apparent high body fat %(for a pro athlete), he likely has a terrible diet. Unless he just has terrible genetics. But from the cookie jokes the players make, I'd say it's the former.

Any shred of evidence that can support this claim?

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Shocking! A player takes a month off from hockey after the rigors of an NHL season is over. You think Towes and Kane and the rest of the Blackhawks have done anything yet?

The Hawks go deep into the playoffs every year.

Phil Kessel's season is over in April every season (arguably earlier if you watch him play).

There's no reason for him to take summers off when some players are playing an extra two months of games while also committing to an off-season workout routine.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Common sense certainly seems to be a foreign concept to some.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Kessel has zero obligations to reveal his workout plan to us. Also do you have proof that a 'regular' NHLer works out every day? Why does Kessel need to prove this to you, but no one else does. Or are you sitting waiting to review the workout plan of every Toronto Maple Leaf that is currently signed or will potential sign with this team?

See any NHLer talk about off-season workout regimens in a myriad of interviews . . . I thought people who comment on here actually follow the NHL?

No one claimed anyone has obligations to reveal workouts, that's a strawman argument.

Kessel doesn't have to prove anything to me. Where did I ask that?
I only ask that posters claiming he has a solid workout regimen, back up their claims. I'm not making those claims, THEY are. And you too apparently?

And a side note . . . guaranteed, between Hunter, Babcock and Shanahan, every single draftee and signee coming to the TML will be looked at as to their workout regimen and fitness. As they should, it's just smart business.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
The Hawks go deep into the playoffs every year.

Phil Kessel's season is over in April every season (arguably earlier if you watch him play).

There's no reason for him to take summers off when some players are playing an extra two months of games while also committing to an off-season workout routine.

He took a month off, not the summer. I bet you just about every player on every non-playoff team that did NOT go to the WC took a month off.

What the hell is with people needing proof of Kessel's off-season activities. Do you work for the Maple Leafs? No! We are fans, let management worry about Kessel's off-season activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad