News Article: Kessel May Take Gary Roberts' Fitness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
He didn't score 37 last year and he's getting older.

In terms of goals breakdown by period, I don't have the numbers per period, but his productivity plummeted as the season wore on.

Was he too busy working out to score goals? What's the spin?

So you are saying he was fit at 24, but his fitness declined through his mid twenties?

His shooting percentage halved in the second half of the season. If it had been career average, he'd have hit 30 goals. Shooting percentage fluctuations are bad luck or injuries, not fitness.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
Gee, I guess some people who said in Kessel's draft year he could be more talented then Crosby, must be right.

I mean, how else would a lazy, undedicated, out of shape dad bod put up 82, 80 point seasons, be near PPG in playoffs, and be one of the fastest players in the game today?

Must be a new kind of back handed compliment or something.

Seriously, this is foolish. What do you guys think he would be if he was 'in shape'? A 110 point, 60 goal winger who can backcheck? Not every player is perfect. Every player is more than likely in better shape than the casual fan criticizing their shape, though.

Christ, fat jokes. What is this, high school? Caution; Children at play.

Because he saves all his energy for one side of the ice? Points aren't everything, would you rather have Kessel or Toews?

The two aren't even in the same league when it comes to contribution to TEAM SUCCESS.

I know who I would pick...

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Wait

We got an offer from Chicago? Toews for kessel?

Ya. That was stupid to pass on

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Because he saves all his energy for one side of the ice? Points aren't everything, would you rather have Kessel or Toews?

The two aren't even in the same league when it comes to contribution to TEAM SUCCESS.

Did I say points were everything? Is it suddenly an easy feat to put up points in the big leagues? Leafs shouldn't have let Kozun leave, they should've told him to play offense only and then they can get 80 points without paying Kessel?

Nowhere did I say that he was excellent defensively, a perfect leader. However, goals do contribute to team success, and Kessel, well, he contributes a lot of his team's goals. Just saying.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Yet devastates his peers in production. Maybe it's his teammates that need to work harder. Why aren't they gassed after every shift?

Its amazing the lengths some will go to in order to thrash Phil. Its always the same group, and it never holds up to reality.

Their proof always seems to be along the lines of 'my own eyes' as if their opinion is infallible.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
Wait

We got an offer from Chicago? Toews for kessel?

Ya. That was stupid to pass on

See? Now youre just ignoring the fact that there are a million Jonathan Toews out there. Remember when he won the Cup all by himself in LA? His heroics for the Bruins?
Let alone his miraculous overcoming all the odds and singlehandedly shutting down every team and scoring every goalfor Chicago this year.

Toews. Hes all you need.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Wait, you'd rather have Toews and that's your evidence that Kessel is out of shape?

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Its amazing the lengths some will go to in order to thrash Phil. Its always the same group, and it never holds up to reality.

Their proof always seems to be along the lines of 'my own eyes' as if their opinion is infallible.

I find it amazing that reading through any Kessel thread, the amount of 'my own eyes' testimonies that lead to immature and childish jokes/shaming/comments is as obscene as it is.

Kind of shameful that so many people on hfboards are coming across as such *******s towards a guy that is probably a lot of kids' idol. I don't see a reality where an overweight player can compete in the NHL for a lengthy career like Phil's, especially at his level, without as said, the most talent ever seen.

It's foolish, it's childish, and it's one of those 'we have no real argument so how about this' things. He is an elite player and people are just far too eager to throw hatred at him for no reason.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Spott said he was over weight , why are you lying by saying it's bs ?

One of the top point producers in the league ... one of the fastest skaters ... but Spott made a comment ... watch the guy play sometime FFS, then you might realize how dumb this out of shape talk is.

Good night. :)

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
One of the top point producers in the league ... one of the fastest skaters ... but Spott made a comment ... watch the guy play sometime FFS, then you might realize how dumb this out of shape talk is.

This man seems to think a guy can't put up a lot of points and skate fast while being out of shape in the sense of what shape a team expects him to be in.

Best to move on, his logic is so flawed there's really no point in debating him.

Edit: Starting to think he's trolling us.

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009

Spotts said he was 20 lbs over weight , i believe he would know more than a random message board poster/homer

so why do you believe our ass't coach at that time would lie about something like that ?

and many of us who watch him struggle to get through a shift even though he's coasting for half of it do come to the conclusion he could be in much better shape

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
This man seems to think a guy can't put up a lot of points and skate fast while being out of shape in the sense of what shape a team expects him to be in.

Best to move on, his logic is so flawed there's really no point in debating him.

No he thinks that an Olympic caliber athlete whose one the fastest skaters in the league probably isn't over weight. And he's not saying out of shape he's saying Spott called him over weight.

Honestly everyone debating Kessel is out of shape/over weight has flawed logic and honestly should just shut up about it.

Phil Kessel has flaws, he doesn't back check, he doesn't take a hit, he doesn't go into dirty area's these are valid and legit criticisms, calling an NHL star and US Olympian out of shape is idiotic.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013

I've been blown away since this all started. Phil has given us so much as leafs fans. He's the only reason this team has had any chance. Whether you want him traded or not doesn't even matter. The unfounded hate is like nothing I've ever seen. It's scary really.

How can so many people be so blinded by this fog the media has created that they'd be willing to give up Phil for nothing astounds me. Like a 2nd rounder ffs! Is this real life?

And the best part is........

They all say "who cares about his goals. He's more of a detriment being on the ice. Look at his plus minus!"

But Polak who clipped at the identical - rate kessel did per game (cause Polak missed a bunch) is revered as a god because he took a puck to the face this one time and the came back. All hail our -22 in 56 games, 9 pt bad reflexes overlord! This is the type of player we need around here "

Whaaaaaaat?????

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
No he thinks that an Olympic caliber athlete whose one the fastest skaters in the league probably isn't over weight. And he's not saying out of shape he's saying Spott called him over weight.

Honestly everyone debating Kessel is out of shape/over weight has flawed logic and honestly should just shut up about it.

Phil Kessel has flaws, he doesn't back check, he doesn't take a hit, he doesn't go into dirty area's these are valid and legit criticisms, calling an NHL star and US Olympian out of shape is idiotic.

For team USA...he wouldn't have made team Canada in the shape he was/is in.

He doesn't back check because he has no gas left in the tank and needs a breather to go on another rush unless the puck goes in our net...then it's more of a breather.

It's not idiotic to say it in the sense of the shape the TEAM EXPECTS HIM TO BE IN. We aren't saying he's out of shape compared to us here..........

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I've been blown away since this all started. Phil has given us so much as leafs fans. He's the only reason this team has had any chance. Whether you want him traded or not doesn't even matter. The unfounded hate is like nothing I've ever seen. It's scary really.

How can so many people be so blinded by this fog the media has created that they'd be willing to give up Phil for nothing astounds me. Like a 2nd rounder ffs! Is this real life?

And the best part is........

They all say "who cares about his goals. He's more of a detriment being on the ice. Look at his plus minus!"

But Polak who clipped at the identical - rate kessel did per game (cause Polak missed a bunch) is revered as a god because he took a puck to the face this one time and the came back. All hail our -22 in 56 games, 9 pt bad reflexes overlord! This is the type of player we need around here "

Whaaaaaaat?????

you do realise that most people want Polak traded too, right?
you keep saying this - but everyone got over the puck to the face a lonng time ago.

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
For team USA...he wouldn't have made team Canada in the shape he was/is in.

He doesn't back check because he has no gas left in the tank and needs a breather to go on another rush unless the puck goes in our net...then it's more of a breather.

It's not idiotic to say it in the sense of the shape the TEAM EXPECTS HIM TO BE IN. We aren't saying he's out of shape compared to us here..........

You aren't worth responding to, believe what idiocy you want. I see no need to further a debate with you it's pointless.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
you do realise that most people want Polak traded too, right?
you keep saying this - but everyone got over the puck to the face a lonng time ago.

Just making comparables. I don't see people calling Polak a stupid giant. Or a lazy children eater :)

mikeo1

Jan 6, 2008
Vancouver
Spotts said he was 20 lbs over weight , i believe he would know more than a random message board poster/homer

so why do you believe our ass't coach at that time would lie about something like that ?

and many of us who watch him struggle to get through a shift even though he's coasting for half of it do come to the conclusion he could be in much better shape

Because Spott was making an off the cuff comment that he didn`t expect to be reported or be taken seriously. He was actually praising Kessel in that quote that people keep referring to. Spott had no idea how much Kessel weighed.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
And the best part is he missed 30 games due to over working out. Maybe Phil has a better understanding of balance :sarcasm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad