News Article: Kessel May Take Gary Roberts' Fitness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

CalgaryLeaf*

My proof is that he is an NHL player.
Can you proove he doesnt?

Anyone can claim to "work out"..My mother is 40 pounds overweight but she walks a 1/2 hour a day and calls it a "workout".

The proof is Kessel's fat gut when he arrived at camp...There's a picture of fatboy on the golf course a week before camp opened and he was easily 25 pounds overweight..More circumstantial evidence is Kessel coasting during games but still ending most of his shifts GASPING FOR BREATH.

Doesn't take a genius to figure it out.

Working out like a world class athlete is an entirely different story...You rarely, if ever, see fat hockey players...Ridiculous.

Babcocks Marner

It's a magical time
Mar 3, 2015
Toronto
Didn't Kessel get Fat after Cancer? I have no idea if that could harm your body and make you put some weight on, Lance Armstrong looks great, but he got the juice :laugh:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
People glance at A couple bad angle pictures and all of a sudden they become fitness experts.

This is becoming a semantically discussion. Do I work out in the summer? I would say yes. I go to the gym twice a week. Been doing this for a decade now. So I can say I work out too.

Now the question is just how hard does one work out. I don't think anyone will ever consider Kessel the hardest work out specimen in the off season in the NHL.

Look at the example this guy has made for his team to follow. http://evoultrafit.com/stories/jonathan-toews/

It's a matter of optics, it's a matter of your best player setting an example for younger players and the entire team. So yes, we can all assume Kessel does the work out, perhaps he does the bare minimum to get himself in shape.

What we want here with Babcock stressing fitness and commitment is players to take the lead on this. Does Kessel take the lead in fitness on this team? The answer is no.

But he is not alone, the entire team could be better trained strength and fitness wise. There is a reason why Belza was let go. Shanahan probably saw what most of us have known for years now.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
This is becoming a semantically discussion. Do I work out in the summer? I would say yes. I go to the gym twice a week. Been doing this for a decade now. So I can say I work out too.

Now the question is just how hard does one work out. I don't think anyone will ever consider Kessel the hardest work out specimen in the off season in the NHL.

Look at the example this guy has made for his team to follow. http://evoultrafit.com/stories/jonathan-toews/

It's a matter of optics, it's a matter of your best player setting an example for younger players and the entire team. So yes, we can all assume Kessel does the work out, perhaps he does the bare minimum to get himself in shape.

What we want here with Babcock stressing fitness and commitment is players to take the lead on this. Does Kessel take the lead in fitness on this team? The answer is no.

But he is not alone, the entire team could be better trained strength and fitness wise. There is a reason why Belza was let go. Shanahan probably saw what most of us have known for years now.

Its only a matter of optics if we actually know what said player does to train. None of us do. Right now its exactly as was stated above. We are basing this off a couple pictures.

Unless you do actualky have some inkling as to his workout regimen.

We as Leaf fans need to stop assuming we 'know' these players.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT
I am glad he is trying this. If he can manage to get into the groove he will have a LOOOONG career.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Anyone can claim to "work out"..My mother is 40 pounds overweight but she walks a 1/2 hour a day and calls it a "workout".

The proof is Kessel's fat gut when he arrived at camp...There's a picture of fatboy on the golf course a week before camp opened and he was easily 25 pounds overweight..More circumstantial evidence is Kessel coasting during games but still ending most of his shifts GASPING FOR BREATH.

Working out like a world class athlete is an entirely different story...You rarely, if ever, see fat hockey players...Ridiculous.

Yet he did well at the beginning of the season....

They should keep cookies on the bench then

palmateer67

Feb 6, 2010
New York City

These attacks are offensive, to say the least. Calling Phil Kessel "fatboy" and comparing him to someone's overweight mother...honestly do something better with your time. Doesn't take a genius to figure out that all of these unwarranted attacks are why players struggle with playing in Toronto.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Its only a matter of optics if we actually know what said player does to train. None of us do. Right now its exactly as was stated above. We are basing this off a couple pictures.

Unless you do actualky have some inkling as to his workout regimen.

We as Leaf fans need to stop assuming we 'know' these players.

You sound like a lawyer in a TV drama when you bring up all this "you don't have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt" that he is definitively not in shape, or doesn't work out.

Relative to his peers who also play the same game, which we are all watching, Kessel has fitness issues because he's winded after every shift. That's all you need to know.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Yet devastates his peers in production. Maybe it's his teammates that need to work harder. Why aren't they gassed after every shift?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Could Kessel be giving up hockey to become a tibetan monk? It may still be possible says speculation expert Leaffaninvictoria.

Watching the media flail around this offseason about Toronto is ridiculous, just look at the whole Babcock situation.

Ovate

Dec 17, 2014
Toronto
25 goals isn't that devastating.

37 is.

Unless you're now trying to argue that he was in great shape 3 years ago but is now a a fat, lazy, *******.

Not that I agree with the original premise that he's gassed after every shift. If it were the case that his stamina was poor, you'd see a decline in his production between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd periods. Which you don't.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
37 is.

Unless you're now trying to argue that he was in great shape 3 years ago but is now a a fat, lazy, *******.

Not that I agree with the original premise that he's gassed after every shift. If it were the case that his stamina was poor, you'd see a decline in his production between the 1st, 2nd and 3rd periods. Which you don't.

He didn't score 37 last year and he's getting older.

In terms of goals breakdown by period, I don't have the numbers per period, but his productivity plummeted as the season wore on.

Was he too busy working out to score goals? What's the spin?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
You sound like a lawyer in a TV drama when you bring up all this "you don't have evidence beyond a reasonable doubt" that he is definitively not in shape, or doesn't work out.

Relative to his peers who also play the same game, which we are all watching, Kessel has fitness issues because he's winded after every shift. That's all you need to know.

Now you sound like a lawyer in a TV drama. Maybe Kessel looks winded because he is working harder than his line-mates.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
He didn't score 37 last year and he's getting older.

In terms of goals breakdown by period, I don't have the numbers per period, but his productivity plummeted as the season wore on.

Was he too busy working out to score goals? What's the spin?

Kessel scored the same, or maybe a slight decrease in goal % for the leafs this year. Art Ross winner scored 88 points. Scoring was down around the whole league which is probably the reason why Phils points and goals total went down

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Could mean he's out of shape so even only playing one end of the rink is too much for the guy?

So out of shape that he routinely blows by the opposition when the opportunity arises. Be interesting to hear an explanation of how someone who's out of shape can do that.

Crysis

Jun 28, 2015
So out of shape that he routinely blows by the opposition when the opportunity arises. Be interesting to hear an explanation of how someone who's out of shape can do that.

Because he plays one side of the ice only and takes a breather and waits for a breakout opportunity then with his saved energy he has a burst of speed then is wiped again?

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
Gee, I guess some people who said in Kessel's draft year he could be more talented then Crosby, must be right.

I mean, how else would a lazy, undedicated, out of shape dad bod put up 82, 80 point seasons, be near PPG in playoffs, and be one of the fastest players in the game today?

Must be a new kind of back handed compliment or something.

Seriously, this is foolish. What do you guys think he would be if he was 'in shape'? A 110 point, 60 goal winger who can backcheck? Not every player is perfect. Every player is more than likely in better shape than the casual fan criticizing their shape, though.

Christ, fat jokes. What is this, high school? Caution; Children at play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad