News Article: Kessel May Take Gary Roberts' Fitness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
I did miss that part.

Ok, so by Kessel's admission, he doesn't work out at all for about a month, then starts up again after about a month. Fair enough.

Still nothing about working out every day, or every second day, or any indication that he has any kind of exercise or fitness routine that a regular NHL has. That was my problem with the claim (can't remember the poster) they made - that Kessel has some kind of arduous workout program. Which is normal actually for a pro NHLer, but unheard of in regards to Kessel.

That's fair, that same blurb that was quote also highlight's Kessel doesn't have a regiment that's similar to other NHLers. By all accounts he could train harder, so hopefully for his sake he is going to go to Roberts.

I can certainly understand why Kessel would want to take some time off of hockey and the rink after each season, given how ridiculous every season has ended for Kessel while he's been in Toronto .. Time to unwind out of the spotlight is probably the only way he's able to cope with this hockey pressured market that brings him out of his comfort zone.

This isn't to excuse him from not training harder, just an observation of the situation. I was really hoping he would have come into this season a changed man after he spoke about having to be better last off-season (after another collapse) and taking some accountability on his shoulders. Alas it didn't appear he did.

The Apologist

Apologizing for Leaf garbage since 1979
Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
See any NHLer talk about off-season workout regimens in a myriad of interviews . . . I thought people who comment on here actually follow the NHL?

No one claimed anyone has obligations to reveal workouts, that's a strawman argument.

Kessel doesn't have to prove anything to me. Where did I ask that?
I only ask that posters claiming he has a solid workout regimen, back up their claims. I'm not making those claims, THEY are. And you too apparently?

And a side note . . . guaranteed, between Hunter, Babcock and Shanahan, every single draftee and signee coming to the TML will be looked at as to their workout regimen and fitness. As they should, it's just smart business.

Should those making the opposite claims not do the same then? Why should we just accept this garbage myth that Kessel is fat and lazy?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
That's fair, that same blurb that was quote also highlight's Kessel doesn't have a regiment that's similar to other NHLers. By all accounts he could train harder, so hopefully for his sake he is going to go to Roberts.

I can certainly understand why Kessel would want to take some time off of hockey and the rink after each season, given how ridiculous every season has ended for Kessel while he's been in Toronto .. Time to unwind out of the spotlight is probably the only way he's able to cope with this hockey pressured market that brings him out of his comfort zone.

This isn't to excuse him from not training harder, just an observation of the situation. I was really hoping he would have come into this season a changed man after he spoke about having to be better last off-season (after another collapse) and taking some accountability on his shoulders. Alas it didn't appear he did.

But see, what are you basing your last paragraph on? The only report at all we got was that he was top three in camp.

Loosie

The Eternal Optimist
Jun 14, 2011
Kitchener, Ontario
See any NHLer talk about off-season workout regimens in a myriad of interviews . . . I thought people who comment on here actually follow the NHL?

No one claimed anyone has obligations to reveal workouts, that's a strawman argument.

Kessel doesn't have to prove anything to me. Where did I ask that?
I only ask that posters claiming he has a solid workout regimen, back up their claims. I'm not making those claims, THEY are. And you too apparently?

And a side note . . . guaranteed, between Hunter, Babcock and Shanahan, every single draftee and signee coming to the TML will be looked at as to their workout regimen and fitness. As they should, it's just smart business.

Agreed on this, as they should be, but it's their business as management not ours as fans.

As for the rest there are numerous times that you are asking for proof that Kessel has a 'rigerous workout schedule' because a poster claimed it, yet lack of proof does not equate the opposite which is what you seem to be indicating.

Also he did not hold a press conference to say "I did not work out this month". He was asked a question by a reporter about what he's been up to. This is how things work in this city and it's incredible stupid. No where else do they ask what a player did in the off season and scrutinize the fact that they 'took a month off'

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Should those making the opposite claims not do the same then? Why should we just accept this garbage myth that Kessel is fat and lazy?

I won't speak for others, only myself.

I've never claimed he's fat, but I will claim that he doesn't come into camp in proper shape, and that is from comments and 'hints' made by ex-coaches. Special treatment comments, etc.

I will claim that by my eye test, he doesn't look like he's in NHL shape. Obviously, he's got the amazing foot speed, and he plays 20 minutes a night, so . . . maybe it's just the way he looks? Could be, but any time he's played deep into the season, he has looked tired to me, and doesn't appear to be able to put in the effort he could earlier in the year. I am assuming that with all the chatter about Kessel being out of shape by commentators, ex coaches, and hints from players . . . that there is something to it. Conversely, I have never heard anyone defend him to the contrary, that he works out hard, hits the bikes after a game, is the guy who does this or that workout routine the best, etc. Never.

So to claim that Kessel is lazy is a garbage myth, is ridiculous. There has been a lot of chatter about it, eye test and comments, to suggest it - with nothing to contradict that claim, other than internet rebuttals.

Fat? No, not fat . . . but for an NHLer, by eye test, he looks really out of shape. And for the last quarter of the season, he can still skate for short bursts quickly, but really lacks endurance (by my eye test).

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington

I've never claimed he's fat, but I will claim that he doesn't come into camp in proper shape, and that is from comments and 'hints' made by ex-coaches. Special treatment comments, etc.

I will claim that by my eye test, he doesn't look like he's in NHL shape. Obviously, he's got the amazing foot speed, and he plays 20 minutes a night, so . . . maybe it's just the way he looks? Could be, but any time he's played deep into the season, he has looked tired to me, and doesn't appear to be able to put in the effort he could earlier in the year. I am assuming that with all the chatter about Kessel being out of shape by commentators, ex coaches, and hints from players . . . that there is something to it. Conversely, I have never heard anyone defend him to the contrary, that he works out hard, hits the bikes after a game, is the guy who does this or that workout routine the best, etc. Never.

So to claim that Kessel is lazy is a garbage myth, is ridiculous. There has been a lot of chatter about it, eye test and comments, to suggest it - with nothing to contradict that claim, other than internet rebuttals.

Fat? No, not fat . . . but for an NHLer, by eye test, he looks really out of shape. And for the last quarter of the season, he can still skate for short bursts quickly, but really lacks endurance (by my eye test).

Ignore the double chin.

Damien Cox heard something, from someone, and tweeted it...

So let's just believe that instead of what our own two eyes can see..

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Doesn't anyone else think it's really disturbing that NHL players that earns millions of dollars each season is ''out of shape'' when the off season ends?

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell

By my eye test hes got a chubby face.
Links to where a coach has called him out of shape?

To claim that a top 5 poiunt producing player who happens to be one of the fastest forwards in the game is lazy is ridiculous. If yiu can back it up with actual facts and not just your twisted words ill sit down.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
Doesn't anyone else think it's really disturbing that NHL players that earns millions of dollars each season is ''out of shape'' when the off season ends?

Well, if it is true - I think it is, but we don't truly know - we'll see a very quick decline from Kessel in real hockey terms, starting right about now. With the players in the past who have had the same outlier type abilities to get by as a star player in the NHL without the physical fitness routine (see: Jeff O'Neill), the drop off happens early and descends quickly.

We'll see fairly shortly, in my opinion, whether Kessel fits into that paradigm. Hopefully, we see it as he plays for the Penguins or some other team.

wulfio*

Any shred of evidence that can support this claim?

I'm sorry but you don't get that kind of explosive first step without squats, plyo's, and/or wind sprints. His explosive acceleration is not a genetic gift. As I said, his play on the ice clearly shows he focus's almost entirely on fast twitch training, and puts less emphasis on endurance training. If I were to guess, I'd say his training program resembles a running back more than an all around athlete.

And like I said, his body fat % indicates a less than ideal diet for a pro athlete. He's probably consuming a lot of processed/refined foods. Or simply too much sodium and/or starches.

As an observer I'd say he's training the wrong way. I think with his natural skill, he could be a much better player than he is. Which is a scary thought. But to say he doesn't work out AT ALL, you're being a little ridiculous. You aren't arguably the fastest guy in the league for no reason. You're extremely naive to even insinuate that.

The Apologist

Oct 16, 2007
Leaf Nation Hell
I'm sorry but you don't get that kind of explosive first step without squats, plyo's, and/or wind sprints. His explosive acceleration is not a genetic gift. As I said, his play on the ice clearly shows he focus's almost entirely on fast twitch training, and puts less emphasis on endurance training. If I were to guess, I'd say his training program resembles a running back more than an all around athlete.

And like I said, his body fat % indicates a less than ideal diet for a pro athlete. He's probably consuming a lot of processed/refined foods. Or simply too much sodium and/or starches.

As an observer I'd say he's training the wrong way. I think with his natural skill, he could be a much better player than he is. Which is a scary thought. But to say he doesn't work out AT ALL, you're being a little ridiculous. You aren't arguably the fastest guy in the league for no reason. You're extremely naive to even insinuate that.

Whats Phils body fat % at?

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
But to say he doesn't work out AT ALL, you're being a little ridiculous. You aren't arguably the fastest guy in the league for no reason. You're extremely naive to even insinuate that.

That's the part that's always bugged me, one if Kessel is lazy and not in shape just how bad are the other athletes? Secondly are we saying if Kessel was in the mythical shape he'd be the second coming of Gretzky? How much better is he supposed to get exactly?

Kessel has real flaws but no one can just mention just those, they need to be hyperbolic and call him out of shape and fat.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
motivating 20 something millionaires to play hard every shift, let alone game and workhard 12 months a year is part of the new world of sports

hard handed coaching doesn't work anymore, just paying them obviously isn't the solution, hell even playing time doesn't really have meaningful change

IMO it has to be accountability to teammates. everyone buys in to a system, understands what eachs part is and they don't want to be the weak link.
When someone isnt pulling their weight everyone knows it
If they aren't willing too they are moved

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
An unsubstantiated tweet from Damien Cox is now taken as gospel, just like this Dreger tweet.

Amazing what people will believe nowadays...

Dreger said on the radio today that Kessel did in fact make contact with Roberts and said the plan is to start working out with him in July. But that doesn't mean he'll go through with it.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
Dreger said on the radio today that Kessel did in fact make contact with Roberts and said the plan is to start working out with him in July. But that doesn't mean he'll go through with it.

ford_cut_thewaist.jpeg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad