News Article: Kessel May Take Gary Roberts' Fitness Program

Status
Not open for further replies.

AuraSphere

Jun 27, 2012
I think trading kessel would be a mistake, no one is giving a good offer in terms of trades, and I wouldn't want him gone for scraps.

He can easily turn it around, and just imaging him with Marner in the future is pretty sweet. Hope he can turn it around and actually goes through with this training.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Alright guys, now let's talk about the real reason Kessel is coming back in July.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I don't think many people bring up Kessel's cancer in arguments of support. It's actually really rare, but regardless most of your argument just seems to say that Kessel is lazy or uninterested.

The Leafs collapsed this season, yeah, but like Shanhan said it's never one guy and I'd think if we're talking over accountability it's the guys like Bozak who are gifted spots moreso then the guy who can pump out 30 goals on the regular. As for the goal drought? Most players who score under 30 go long stretches of games without scoring. When Phil is on point, we all know what he can do and the bigger issue is that in his entire time here he hasn't gotten a skilled center to play with. Hell, Lupul went what? 4 months without scoring a goal? Wheres the vitriol for the 5.25Million dollar man who can't put a puck in the net?

I think the issue in all of this is that Kessel is a scapegoat, unneccesarily, due to being the face of the Leafs. It evokes images in Leaf fans, from Mahovlich to Gilmour to Sundin, usually guys that were clutch, led their team to (almost) success, who worked hard and came up with big moments. Kessel hasn't had that clutch moment, but people act like this guy faded in the playoffs, when he was one point shy in a Boston series brutally mismanaged by Carlyle. He can produce in the playoffs, he's done every time he's been there, its just about getting there that's been the issue but we all know how night and day the offense and defense and goaltending has been. Every year something else seems to break down on the team. Maybe Babcock puts a stop to that but don't blame just Kessel.

When interviewed about Kessel, Wilson said that Phil's problem wasn't being rude, or controversial, or adversarial, he was just emotional. He took things a little to personal maybe, and he let the fans, the media and maybe other player's criticism of him to his head and it affected his play. Why is that bad? Why is a guy that shows his feelings bad? Yeah we all seen Kessel with his head slumped down or banging his stick or being frustrated but Kessel also has been jumping for joy or had that big ass smile when he scores on Thomas/Rask. That's just the kind of guy he is, so why's it a bad thing? Also why is Kessel considered fat at 6'0/202 but Kadri 6'0/188 is considered undersized and Polak 6'0/236 is considered fine?

I think if Kessel could just work a little harder people would be ok with him, seeing him sprint and maybe win board battles a couple times would be ok but any expectation that any hockey player will suddenly get to the NHL spend 8 seasons there and suddenly change his style of play is moronic. Kessel's a sniper and an underrated passer with blazing speed, let's just appreciate that and hope for a good season.

Sure they did. I know I did. Read the context again. I'm a one time glass half-full Burke/Kessel apologist. And I'll still stand by certain characterizations. Heck, I'm still defending his accomplishments around the boards while our organization is being kicked while we're down, but it's wilful ignorance to deny fans the right to be indignant with certain obvious deficiencies.

tooncesmeow

May 3, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Sure they did. I know I did. Read the context again. I'm a one time glass half-full Burke/Kessel apologist. And I'll still stand by certain characterizations. Heck, I'm still defending his accomplishments around the boards while our organization is being kicked while we're down, but it's wilful ignorance to deny fans the right to be indignant with certain obvious deficiencies.

I don't know, I don't see many posts on here saying "kessel has cancer stop being mean to him." Obvious deficiencies how? I honestly don't think fans know what they want outside of wanting a winning team.

The issue with Kessel is that he's not a "hard worker" or "a two way player" so show me a hard working 35-goal calibre winger and tell me what they do. Now tell me what great two-way wingers exist in the NHL and what their role is. Give me a list of players who drastically changed their playstyle midway through their career and succeeded?

There's nothing wrong with having a speedy sniper capable of getting pucks in the net and I think most of this whining and complaning about Phil is purely because of the team's place in the standings after 6 seasons of Phil. That doesn't change the organization's inability to get a top 6 center to play with him, that doesn't change Nonis 2 seasons of terror where he set this team back a decade, nor does it the fact one player can't suddenly make a team a conteder and it doesn't change that inept media obsessed with a team constructed 22 years and 2 lockouts old.

Leafsman

I guess $11M doesn't buy you what it use to
May 22, 2008
I am not a fan of Kessel's lack of defensive focus but think he takes afr too much heat.

Kessel is what he is and has always been and Leaf's mgmt knew what kind of player he was. Kessel shouldn't be taking all the blame because mgmt didn't surround him with the proper supportive and complementary linemates.

Kessel has HUGE offensive potential and while it is awesome that he is hopefully getting some much needed help in terms of fitness, it is not his sole responsibility to become some defensive dynamo.

Shifting a huge part of his focus to defenisve play will 100% diminish the skillset he was acquired for. I can only imagine what posters on here woudl start saying if Kessel did change to a more defensive player and his offensive game suffered.

Kessel not only will never be a great defensive player, I argue he shoudln't be. Mgmt has dropped the ball on this incredible asset and I really pray that Shanny and Babcock can contribute to correcting this problem. Kessel has to stop completely ignoring and being lazy when it comes to defense which an off-season with Roberts could solve, mgmt has to start using this asset properly and we have to stop expecting him to be something he is not.

Kessel doesn't have to be an incredible defensive forward, just paired with one.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
perhaps??? could include??????

Dreglund

non-sense

not saying Phil doesn't need a tougher work-out schedule, just saying it's speculation by Dreger, because it's been a LeafLand obsession in regard to the great Gary

no doubt he's had some success but that success was found with kids who were going to develop physically anyway how did he do with Nazem

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
perhaps??? could include??????

Dreglund

non-sense

not saying Phil doesn't need a tougher work-out schedule, just saying it's speculation by Dreger, because it's been a LeafLand obsession in regard to the great Gary

no doubt he's had some success but that success was found with kids who were going to develop physically anyway how did he do with Nazem

When Nazem Kadri went to Gary Roberts, he came out of it blasted by Dallas Eakins for being bottom 3-4 in fitness and body fat.

Gary Roberts does not have the medical or scientific background to perform this task. The hard-on most of this forum has for him is unwarranted.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
When Nazem Kadri went to Gary Roberts, he came out of it blasted by Dallas Eakins for being bottom 3-4 in fitness and body fat.

Gary Roberts does not have the medical or scientific background to perform this task. The hard-on most of this forum has for him is unwarranted.

Dallas Eakins is a huge moron (see: Edmonton).

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I have no doubt that Roberts is entirely qualified.

The thing is that you can take any training program you want, and as long as the effort is there, you'll get the results you're after.

If you just won't go hard and far enough with it, it doesn't matter what program you do.

deuce457

Nov 28, 2010
Alright guys, now let's talk about the real reason Kessel is coming back in July.

Thank you.

Darren Dreger simply speculated and quite frankly he could not have been further off base. This city is ridiculous. All anyone had to do was check Phils twitter account, it was his first post.

Dreger has really slipped, he is almost becoming non-credible to me.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
What did his off season conditioning consist of in the past?

Fishing, playing poker, golfing, relaxing, hanging out with friends, occasionally skating?

While many NHLers go on strict off-season fitness programs, Toronto Maple Leafs sniper Phil Kessel takes a different route.

“Honestly, I skated maybe—I don’t want to tell you this—but I skated 10 times maybe all summer,†Kessel revealed to reporters Thursday in Toronto as training camp opened.

Kessel said he spends most of his summer “living a normal life†by relaxing, golfing, hanging out with family and friends and fishing. He added that one of the highlights of his off-season was catching an 11-foot, 450-pound shark.

“I don’t talk hockey or have anything to do with hockey in the summer,†Kessel explained. “I probably take a month off. I live in Florida in the summer, so I go down there and golf and fish and do that kind of stuff and get away, and then I’ll start working out agin.â€

thatsenoughnow

May 15, 2015
Fishing, playing poker, golfing, relaxing, hanging out with friends, occasionally skating?

Kessel explained. “I probably take a month off. I live in Florida in the summer, so I go down there and golf and fish and do that kind of stuff and get away, and then I’ll start working out again.â€

So.. out of ~5 months, Kessel takes ONE month off to relax.. and that's a problem? :confused:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm sure Roberts has learned quite a bit over the years, especially coming off his serious injury.

I don't think he is going to work miracles with anyone that doesn't have the capacity to get better in the first place.

If people enjoy his program they'd probably work harder at it, if not they'll likely take shortcuts and look for the easy path if that is who they are.

If Kessel works out with Roberts, or some other trainer perhaps he'd improve his conditioning.

Regardless, of another it isn't Kessel's fault thread we know he's a top 10 offensive player, and if he's worth his money the Leafs should be able to land some good building blocks in a trade for him.

If the Leafs can't get a good deal for him, if the value just isn't there, Babcock sounds like the type of coach that would even put a HOF top 3 all time defender in his place, so Kessel won't be getting a free pass.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I think trading kessel would be a mistake, no one is giving a good offer in terms of trades, and I wouldn't want him gone for scraps.

He can easily turn it around, and just imaging him with Marner in the future is pretty sweet. Hope he can turn it around and actually goes through with this training.

I totally agree. Phil seems like the kind of guy who genuinely cares about winning

Phaneuf on the other hand I have no issue getting rid of because he is lazy

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I don't know, I don't see many posts on here saying "kessel has cancer stop being mean to him." Obvious deficiencies how? I honestly don't think fans know what they want outside of wanting a winning team.

"I don't know..." the new age's get out of jail free card for discarding germane points that undermine lazy assertions...To clarify, I was (and remain to an extent) an apologist for Burke/Kessel. When the trade went down and questions concerning Kessel's character were bandied about, many on this board cited his battle with cancer as indicative of his true character. This to say, there are people (myself included) who have never taken a prejudicial stance against Kessel and that the current tone of criticism has been arrived honestly through informed observation.

To your question: "Obvious deficiencies how?" Read your own quote below slowly and without looking away at any update, FB or Twitter alerts.

The issue with Kessel is that he's not a "hard worker" or "a two way player" so show me a hard working 35-goal calibre winger and tell me what they do. Now tell me what great two-way wingers exist in the NHL and what their role is. Give me a list of players who drastically changed their playstyle midway through their career and succeeded?

So...Bingo. And then there's the obvious player-coach fractious relationships. The poor media decisions. Salutegate. And on and on...

Ovechkin, Stamkos, Johnson, Palat, Kucherov, Kane, Datsyuk...All kinds of wingers and C/W that play a solid game.I don't know what sport you're watching that confuses the NHL and advises your apparent incredulity, but there are plenty of wingers that score, and play an intelligent two-way game.

As for players that drastically changed their game midway through their career and succeeded, the obvious answer is Steve Yzerman who transformed himself into a team success oriented player that yielded Cups and likely his post-player career.

There's nothing wrong with having a speedy sniper capable of getting pucks in the net and I think most of this whining and complaning about Phil is purely because of the team's place in the standings after 6 seasons of Phil.

Not sure how you equate citing a player's obvious capacity to provide more than he does as a criticism of the goals provided. Moreover, I don't recall criticising his speed or his sniping ability or his ability to get pucks on the net, and I haven't read one detractor or supporter comment likewise, so I don't have a clue why you've included something universally celebrated as something criticized.

And yes, people are fed up with Kessel's apparent performance (away from the puck) as well as others in the group repeatedly named as being the core of the culture problem with our club...Your point is?

That doesn't change the organization's inability to get a top 6 center to play with him, that doesn't change Nonis 2 seasons of terror where he set this team back a decade, nor does it the fact one player can't suddenly make a team a conteder and it doesn't change that inept media obsessed with a team constructed 22 years and 2 lockouts old.

The organization that provided the group that the CURRENT group is addressing is no longer in office. And so it makes little sense to rehash that dead horse yet again. But since the concern is for the organization as an entity over and above the micromangement required to yield professional standards from it's highest paid players, I think it's distorted thinking that on one hand says blame the problem on the regime before for the problems requiring solution, but don't criticize the assets brought in by the prior regime.

The saving grace is, THIS management group appears to bring a culture that won't be negotiated with. Phil Kessel will either change and contribute and remain, or Phil Kessel will change and contribute and be traded. And so long as the club continues to take one step towards a return to legacy and dignity, I truly do not care who is wearing the sweater, just as long as those that are demonstrate gratitude for the privilege to do so and do their utmost to repay the fans for the good faith given year after year and game after game.

You don't know of any players that changed mid-career? Stevie and Y and I can't help you then. You don't see obvious deficiencies in a player that coasts to change, circles away from corners, his own-end and 99& of any sort of forecheck? I can't help you there either, friend. You don't know of any wingers that score and play a two-game after these playoffs!? Again, mea culpa.

What I want is integrity top to bottom and I want demonstrated intelligence from the management group as reflected in their asset management and in the quality of people brought in to return Toronto to a cornerstone franchise synonymous with dignity and industry. I'm not optimistic because of a feeling, I'm bold because the management group is providing every indication that they're not building a club to take part, they're fashioning a franchise that is unapologetically self-aware that it's supposed to take over.

So with all due respect, this is not the management group that created the problem, it's the one that eliminated every true cause for alarm...And when the message was shared with the on-ice group this past January that they had in their hands an opportunity to inform the new management as to who they were in the second half of the season, Phil Kessel imploded.

He was smiling the day after Carlyle was fired. He was part of that ten game, high octane Leafs offence that was motoring, that around the eighth win of that streak, Carlyle called the oncoming 18-wheeler.

When a coach looks nervous during a winning streak, calls the oncoming slump and is then fired shortly thereafter, you can bet the blame was not yoked on him. You could also infer that when there's rumours of a communication breakdown (again and with the same player), that those rumours are likely true when the media-awkward, non-verbal star in question is inexplicably front and centre, helplessly grinning as he answers questions concerning the fire of said coach.

You have missed some of these incidents so...probably tough to know for certain.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So.. out of ~5 months, Kessel takes ONE month off to relax.. and that's a problem? :confused:

I think you missed the part where he says he wants nothing to do with hockey in the summer. For him to incorporate Roberts into part of his summer. It can only be viewed he has changed this stance. Good on Phil to finally start showing some dedication to off season fitness and strangth training.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011

Gary Roberts is strict on people who attend his camp to eat properly. Kessel doing this and keeping it up during the entire season could do wonders for his endurance.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
259ibdt.jpg

thatsenoughnow

May 15, 2015
I think you missed the part where he says he wants nothing to do with hockey in the summer. For him to incorporate Roberts into part of his summer. It can only be viewed he has changed this stance. Good on Phil to finally start showing some dedication to off season fitness and strangth training.

Of course it's a good thing that he's going to train with Roberts (if true). It's always great when people try to better themselves.

However saying that he takes summers off and doesn't do anything just isn't true. Playing hockey and hitting the gym are two separate things. I'm sure there are plenty of players who don't pick up a stick or skate all summer.. but staying fit and conditioned has nothing to do with playing hockey.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Of course it's a good thing that he's going to train with Roberts (if true). It's always great when people try to better themselves.

However saying that he takes summers off and doesn't do anything just isn't true. Playing hockey and hitting the gym are two separate things. I'm sure there are plenty of players who don't pick up a stick or skate all summer.. but staying fit and conditioned has nothing to do with playing hockey.
You need to read the quote I posted more carefully. Last year Hobbies first, then as the season nears Kessel starts to train. This year priorities seem to be changing. Roberts first, hobbies 2nd. I doubt there are 450lbs sharks in Lake Ontario to fish. This is a major fundamental change in Phil's dedication to be in better shape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad