Prospect Info: Kerby Rychel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I don't know his game that well other then seeing him here and there over the years. I don't know what happened to him this year but looking at his stats, it's a bit concerning that a 4th year pro, former 1st rounder that cleared waivers and yet his numbers are down a good bit from last year while playing on the top team in the AHL.

I'll see if I can find where I read this, but someone wrote in an article (probably in The Athletic) that after having a real bad start to the year in the AHL, he's put up 25 points in his last 37 games.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I feel like he'll be a kassian type player if he can ever accept his role. He seems like a someone who wants to be the guy but just doesn't have all the tools and he just won't accept it.
Kassian is a great skater whereas Rychel is not.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I'll see if I can find where I read this, but someone wrote in an article (probably in The Athletic) that after having a real bad start to the year in the AHL, he's put up 25 points in his last 37 games.

interesting, maybe the waivers thing got to him and took him longer to respond.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
From The Athletic:

Rychel.png

Last year, Rychel finished with 52 points in 73 games and was the Marlies top scorer.

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Kassian is a great skater whereas Rychel is not.
I just mean their role on the team. Not directly comparing the two. Just be a tough guy who can pot some goals and occasionally make some plays like Deslauriers too I suppose. I guess Deslauriers is a pretty good skater too so I don't know where I'm at with this honestly :laugh:

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Prospect depth at Laval is improved after this trade. Another project that may work out or not. Might create some competition with McCarron which is a good thing

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
How did he looked in his first AHL game with the Rocket? Do you guys think he could have a shot with us?

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
How did he looked in his first AHL game with the Rocket? Do you guys think he could have a shot with us?
He was noticeable for sure, not a super fast skater but was hard on the forecheck yesterday and got into some rough stuff. Also scored the goal on the power play.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
There’s room in todays nhl for slower players as long as they have good hockey sense and can follow a play and not take themselves out of it. If they get running around like McCarron does when he’s trying to impress, they make themselves look like slow lumbering oxen our there. But if they can stat in the play and do the little things like take two players into the corner to open up space or wreak havoc in front of the net to make the goalie uncomfortable and limit his sight, then they can be very useful parts to any team. Problem is most of these guys never had to rely on smarts in junior and would use their skill and size to get by. Now they need to adapt and evolve or they have no chance. Look at a guy like DLR who’s massive but his decision making ability and positioning compensated enough that it doesn’t matter if he’s not the fastest guy in the ice, though he is quicker then Rychel and Big Mac.

So take power skating lessons in the summer, lose some mass and watch a LOT of game tape and maybe there’s a chance for guys like Rychel and McCarron in the AHL.

Reactions: donghabs98

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Watching him with the Marlies, he just doesn't seem to have what it takes to an NHLer.
Hands aren't good enough, skating and mobility aren't good enough.
Just hasn't progressed as hoped when drafted. Not saying he isn't trying but he may have peaked. Team make trades not help their AHL teams but to help at the NHL level, so I don't know how he really helps the Canadians.
Good luck to Rychel. It just might be has last chance to secure a NHL spot.

bleuetbio

Registered luser
Nov 13, 2008
Montreal
There’s room in todays nhl for slower players as long as they have good hockey sense and can follow a play and not take themselves out of it. If they get running around like McCarron does when he’s trying to impress, they make themselves look like slow lumbering oxen our there. But if they can stat in the play and do the little things like take two players into the corner to open up space or wreak havoc in front of the net to make the goalie uncomfortable and limit his sight, then they can be very useful parts to any team. Problem is most of these guys never had to rely on smarts in junior and would use their skill and size to get by. Now they need to adapt and evolve or they have no chance. Look at a guy like DLR who’s massive but his decision making ability and positioning compensated enough that it doesn’t matter if he’s not the fastest guy in the ice, though he is quicker then Rychel and Big Mac.

So take power skating lessons in the summer, lose some mass and watch a LOT of game tape and maybe there’s a chance for guys like Rychel and McCarron in the AHL.

Can we just trade McCarron and gets something before its too late... like for Rychel.

Reactions: Et le But

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Nice start for rychel but have a feeling he's a ahl allstar that has trouble lasting in the nhl...

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Let’s give him a serious look and see shall we? Might as well
With 5 points in 5 games he deserves a shot. But doubt will do much good. He has NHL caliber shot but his his wheels will kill him in NHL, in AHL not so much. Rykel is playing with Terry and Cracknell in Laval. Which pads his stats

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I don’t think he’s an NHL player but might as well call him up, now is the time to see if he’s grown at all.

CoopersFalls

Director of Armchair Operations
Mar 5, 2010
Central Ontario
I think Rychel will end up being a bottom 6 NHLer. He has the grit and the hands to carve a spot out in a 4th line role at the very least.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think Rychel will end up being a bottom 6 NHLer. He has the grit and the hands to carve a spot out in a 4th line role at the very least.

Carr has everything but the speed and he may not make it. It's hard to make it in today's NHL without the skating.

Reactions: montreal
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad