Prospect Info: Kerby Rychel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I like what I’ve seen from him tonight. A good hit and starts a scrum with Tanev a while later. We need energy players on this team.

He’s essentially competing with Deslauriers at this point.

And Carr and Logan Shaw on the other wing.

Ideally I have it Carr - Rychel - Deslaurier but I think you need more speed on that 4th line.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
He doesn't have the greatest acceleration, but once he gets going his speed isn't bad. He's been effective on the forecheck and in front of the net, he won't live up to his draft expectations but he can be a solid 4th liner who can fill in on the third line.. worst case, he's another Carr who can help Laval offensively.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
We have quite a few guys ready for the 4th line next year, even McCarron showed some promise. I've always been a fan of having 4 4th liners on the roster and rolling with the 3 who want it most at any given time. Keeps them edgy and healthy. Dlo, McCarron, DLR, Rychel...

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Rychel’s skating has been reported to be bad. I thought he looked adequate. He has bottom 6 upside

I agree, but I have Lehkonen, Hudon, Byron, Carr, and Deslaurier ahead of him as bottom six wingers. As we only need 4, I'm not how he gets in the lineup, aside from injuries.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I agree, but I have Lehkonen, Hudon, Byron, Carr, and Deslaurier ahead of him as bottom six wingers. As we only need 4, I'm not how he gets in the lineup, aside from injuries.
Hudon and Carr? Not sold on either for the long term. It’s up to Rychel to seize his opportunity

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Hudon and Carr? Not sold on either for the long term. It’s up to Rychel to seize his opportunity

Hudon's been playing injured, remember. 30 points his rookie year, many of it spent on the 4th line or not nearly 100%, I am confident he's a top 9, let alone capable on the 4th line.

Even more than the points, I like his game. He needs to work on his skating and sometimes he loses control of the puck at the wrong moment. But the latter I see improving. imo, his skating will determine whether he's a 40 or even 50 point guy versus merely a 30 to 35 point guy.

As for Carr, I really would like to see him get a place on the 4th line opposite Deslaurier for 82 games. I think they would provide good secondary scoring. But I doubt Julien sees it that way.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
We have quite a few guys ready for the 4th line next year, even McCarron showed some promise. I've always been a fan of having 4 4th liners on the roster and rolling with the 3 who want it most at any given time. Keeps them edgy and healthy. Dlo, McCarron, DLR, Rychel...
If McCarron has any trade value I say we just dump him. Even if it's just a 3rd or 4th round pick.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Hudon's been playing injured, remember. 30 points his rookie year, many of it spent on the 4th line or not nearly 100%, I am confident he's a top 9, let alone capable on the 4th line.

Even more than the points, I like his game. He needs to work on his skating and sometimes he loses control of the puck at the wrong moment. But the latter I see improving. imo, his skating will determine whether he's a 40 or even 50 point guy versus merely a 30 to 35 point guy.

As for Carr, I really would like to see him get a place on the 4th line opposite Deslaurier for 82 games. I think they would provide good secondary scoring. But I doubt Julien sees it that way.

Don’t get me wrong, I like both Hudon and Carr. I just think Rychel can possibly carve a spot against these types of players. Hudon needs another gear, pure and simple.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Don’t get me wrong, I like both Hudon and Carr. I just think Rychel can possibly carve a spot against these types of players. Hudon needs another gear, pure and simple.

Yet, Hudon is more dangerous offensively than Lehkonen, and I would argue Byron. Hudon mainly has lower numbers than Byron because of his usage and his injuries imo. Hudon can do a better job in a top six role than both those players. I have him as our 6th best offensive player, ahead of Danault, but because Danault is a centerman, Hudon's out of the top 6.

If only Hudon had that other gear, I'd go:

Pacioretty Hudon Gallagher
Scherbak Galchenyuk Drouin

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I hope Rychel is brought back next year. He has the physical play and decent skill set to be an effective 4th liner. He's better than guys like Froese, Logan Shaw and McCarron and at worse he would be great depth for Laval.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->