Speculation: Kent Hughes press conference (Jan 18 12:30PM TSN690)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Engels asked why it's better for him (Slaf) to stay in the NHL than AHL.

Lehkonen was in his final year of his deal.

Anderson has 4 years left with 5.5 mill cap hit.

Teams may inquire, but at this point it's likely too much to move to accommodate his contract.

I think teams want Anderson a lot but think we will trade him for cheap. The part that annoys me is some fans are obsessed at trying to trade him. Hughes said it... what you see on TV or the internet is just not true and he talked to Anderson about it.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I was reading a transcription on RDS...they say someone asked Hughes a question about tanking for Bedard, and his answer was along the lines of "I told MSL wins are good, but only up to a certain point"

anyone who watched/listened able to elaborate on what was said exactly? Seems surprising he'd imply he told the coach it's ok to tank/lose

That's such a thorny issue. If the team really wanted to tank, it wouldn't come from Marty but from the pawns that would be left over after Hughes traded a few difference-makers.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Toronto NY and Boston have tough reporters. Philly too — Philly have tough fans in general.

The problem is in Montreal the media are acolytes of the religion of the Habs. And so are we. Even the grumpy critical fellows (like myself) need to see a crumb of micro-success and we get all hopeful and optimistic. It happens often here because we’re fans of the Habs more than we are fans of hockey or whatever.

But it creates an absolutely dire and hollow media situation unfortunately.

Respectfully, if you think Montreal's media/fans aren't comparable or worse than Toronto, New York, Boston, Philadelphia and Vancouver, then you clearly haven't experienced the markets. As a Torontonian whose been to Leaf pressers, the idea that they have tougher reporters is laughable.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I thought there was a TON to take away from his feelings on their approach to Slafkovsky being in the NHL.

There is a lot of context and what Hughes said is in line with what you and I have said. The AHL is not the solution for all players. Some other fans didn't like his answer cause it didn't fall in line with their narrative which has been flawed in our herd for a long time now.

I remember a few fans saying "Guhle should play AHL to develop properly" before this season started.

Every player needs to be managed differently. Not sure how long it takes for some fans to come to grips with that but it's likely they have fell into the Bergevin/Timmins trap. Kind of funny that Gorton/Hughes are doing some development management the same eh? Go figure. Marchand quote... Some fans in Canada need to take a look in the mirror

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
"Slaf needs to find how to define his game"

Really

bunk-the-wire.gif

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think teams want Anderson a lot but think we will trade him for cheap. The part that annoys me is some fans are obsessed at trying to trade him. Hughes said it... what you see on TV or the internet is just not true and he talked to Anderson about it.
Hughes has also brought up Anderson at almost all of his pressers since last summer.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
"I don't think there's one path to developing a player" - Kent Hughes
There is a lot of context and what Hughes said is in line with what you and I have said. The AHL is not the solution for all players. Some other fans didn't like his answer cause it didn't fall in line with their narrative which has been flawed in our herd for a long time now.

I remember a few fans saying "Guhle should play AHL to develop properly" before this season started.

Every player needs to be managed differently. Not sure how long it takes for some fans to come to grips with that but it's likely they have fell into the Bergevin/Timmins trap. Kind of funny that Gorton/Hughes are doing some development management the same eh? Go figure. Marchand quote... Some fans in Canada need to take a look in the mirror
Same one's who are telling everyone how amazing his development is going now.

Go figure.

Reactions: dinodebino

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
"I don't think there's one path to developing a player" - Kent Hughes

Same one's who are telling everyone how amazing his development is going now.

Go figure.
Hughes went on to say they were worried about where Slafkovsky’s mind would be if he does get sent down and doesn’t produce in the AHL, which is a fair concern but that’s a self inflicted wound by this management which is unacceptable imo. They knew he was green when they saw him in training camp and should’ve seen that he would likely need more time outside of the NHL. Now they’ve created a problem that shouldn’t have been there to start.

Tanknation

Feb 24, 2012
I was reading a transcription on RDS...they say someone asked Hughes a question about tanking for Bedard, and his answer was along the lines of "I told MSL wins are good, but only up to a certain point"

anyone who watched/listened able to elaborate on what was said exactly? Seems surprising he'd imply he told the coach it's ok to tank/lose
I bet you in was more in line of him saying something to extent of, it's good to win, but also ok to lose. Especially when you have a young developing team, who is learning, and going through a transition stage.... that's my guess anyway.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Are trades still 'hard' and nobody wants to make a trade or come to Montreal? Sounds like he took Bergy's notes and fiddled with them a bit.

• Haha
Reactions: dinodebino

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Hughes went on to say they were worried about where Slafkovsky’s mind would be if he does get sent down and doesn’t produce in the AHL, which is a fair concern but that’s a self inflicted wound by this management which is unacceptable imo. They knew he was green when they saw him in training camp and should’ve seen that he would likely need more time outside of the NHL. Now they’ve created a problem that shouldn’t have been there to start.
Not really because that concern would have existed if they would have sent him down day 1 any way.

Either way, I don't want to recreate the Slafkovsky thread here, that thread is already toxic as is (and I recognize that i've unintentionally contributed to that toxicity).

Hoping his rehab goes well, that he has a strong offseason of training and comes ready to play, whether in Laval or Montreal, next season.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

I'm pretty sure teams want Anderson a lot. I'm not so sure they really want his contract though. This contract will scare lot of GMs. Not the AAV but the amount of years remaining.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Hughes is smart, he's saying all the right things, and he has a great understanding of the landscape. Now what matters is: In the final decisions, are his instincts right?

Instincts > Intelligence.

We'll see. I believe in him and Gorton. Hope they succeed big time.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Going to the A and not liking it despite being a necessary step is part of becoming a professional hockey player. Even beta Wright has gotten over it in the CHL.

Hughes has lost the plot.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Respectfully, if you think Montreal's media/fans aren't comparable or worse than Toronto, New York, Boston, Philadelphia and Vancouver, then you clearly haven't experienced the markets. As a Torontonian whose been to Leaf pressers, the idea that they have tougher reporters is laughable.
Yeah, most of the truly insane stuff surrounding the Leafs comes from sports radio and things like that, less from direct reporting.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Not really because that concern would have existed if they would have sent him down day 1 any way.

Either way, I don't want to recreate the Slafkovsky thread here, that thread is already toxic as is (and I recognize that i've unintentionally contributed to that toxicity).

Hoping his rehab goes well, that he has a strong offseason of training and comes ready to play, whether in Laval or Montreal, next season.
This injury may be a blessing. Gives the player and management a chance to reset completely.

Reactions: Canad13ns and 417

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The AHL case would be much better if the AHL team would not be a trainwreck like the NHL team. If the AHL team would be winning and coached by a coach having an history to work well with young players then the decision to send him down would be a lot easier to take.

Atm i fail to see what would help him in the AHL. He would be far better playing in Europe. You could definitely make a case that it would have been better for him to play in Europe and represent his country at the u20 than struggle in the NHL. But i'm not sure the AHL case is as strong as the European league case.

At the end of the day if he got what it takes he'll make it. The most important thing with kids is to be patient and work with them. There must be a dialogue between the coaching team and the kids. Utimately where you work with them doesn't matter too much as long as you do work with them. Obviously if you have a cup contending lineup it's not going to be done at the NHL level.

My expectation for KH next season is to clean up the mess that is our AHL team. It's been a mess for way too long. Fire everyone and put your own team in place.

Last edited:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Yeah, most of the truly insane stuff surrounding the Leafs comes from sports radio and things like that, less from direct reporting.

This is generally true in every market. Teams don't want people asking "hard" or combative questions in press conferences unless its warranted or unavoidable. People who write or speak like that don't get that kind of access.

Reactions: JoelWarlord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad