Speculation: Kent Hughes press conference (Jan 18 12:30PM TSN690)

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I see lots of people lamenting Montreal beat reporters. Can someone please provide an example of a market where heavy questions are asked and answered during a media scrum or a press conference environment? I am in my mid 40's and have watched a fair amount of sports in my day. I can't recall any serious sports journalism stemming from one of these types of Q&A events. This is a genuine question, not just counter-whining.

in philly the Phillies just fired or "replaced" the top beat writer because during the season he got into it with Nick Castellanos asking him if he heard the booing or not to the point they almost got into a fist fight.

Reactions: ngc_5128

tazsub3

May 30, 2016
The simple answer is that a lot of posters expect professionals at a press conference to ask questions like as agressively as an HF post does. It's very idiotic.

I don't think he's saying it's okay to lose on purpose. I think he's saying that wins/culture are good but there's no need to try and grind out points Torts/Hitchcock style. Play to win but don't do it at all costs in such a season.
he actually said both sides to hit, wins are good but up to a certain point, however losses can be good but up to certain point. I am sure someone can find you the clip.

Sorry replied to wrong poster. But the question was just before mine.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Getting Dach didn't ruin the tank though. It was shown repeatedly that when the Suzuki line was shut down, the team went quiet. These useless wins are due to plugs.

He's been great and contributing a lot. Of course it damages the tank. Not to mention he has helped Suz and CC a lot. The more you have good and contributing players, the more it makes us win. Pretty simple.

And don’t lose too many.

At least he's honest. lol

Reactions: CaptainKirk

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
in philly the Phillies just fired or "replaced" the top beat writer because during the season he got into it with Nick Castellanos asking him if he heard the booing or not to the point they almost got into a fist fight.

Yeah, and he's an idiot for doing it. I don't know enough about baseball/the story to say if he should have been fired or not but asking a team executive 'if he's heard the booing' is a dumbass question in most ways it can be asked. Of course a team's management hears it when their team gets booed and it's a question that can easily be asked to aggrieve someone on purpose. I don't know if that was the case here but if it was, I don't blame an executive for calling it out. People don't seem to understand that no one's out to get them. Bergevin, Benning, etc. are/were all really poor GMs. But that doesn't mean they should just take it if someone asks questions meant strictly to shit on them.

He's been great and contributing a lot. Of course it damages the tank. Not to mention he has helped Suz and CC a lot. The more you have good and contributing players, the more it makes us win. Pretty simple.

So what? Kirby Dach is 21 years old. IT'S A GOOD THING IF HE HELPS US WIN GAMES. You want the former third overall we traded a 13th overall for to help us lose? I don't understand.

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral
There's one thing that he did that was anti-tank and that was aquiring Dach. I know they liked him(I did as well), they thought he would be a good young player with potential to act as a second line center. Their viewpoint was he has not emerged yet and all these young players will grow together. But adding him essentialy opened up the game for everyone, esp. helping CC and Suz a lot. I mean I get it, he was attractive. But it's a case where they should have gone all Chicago, hardcore rebuilt and not be tempted but interesting young players that you want to have. Just take the Isles pick. And then you may try getting Dach the year after.
Chicago has like one good young player and 2 good prospects though. They're still tearing down. They don't have Suzuki, CC, Guhle, Xhekaj, etc...

_habsfan9

Nov 26, 2005
I have been lurking the shadows for awhile due to the unlikeable set of characters such as Hoffman, Dadonov, Drouin , Wideman.

If we are going to be bad, can we at least get some players who play with some heart?

Its time Hughes to put some action to get rid of all 4 of these guys. Buy em out,bury them, trade them for beans who cares? They are a bad influence on the younger players as well.

Reactions: PhysicX

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
"I don't think there's one path to developing a player" - Kent Hughes

Same one's who are telling everyone how amazing his development is going now.

Go figure.

I was full on the Guhle to AHL train, mostly since it's less risky and has little downside.

Guhle has done very well in the NHL so far, so it seems I was being overly cautious.

Still think that if Edmundson and Matheson were healthy to start the year, Xhekaj should have started in the AHL and brought up when injuries/trades happened. For the record, I think he's doing fine, he's just a bit inexperienced sometimes and that could have been fixed in the AHL (and most likely will in the NHL anyway).

The only reason to rush young players to the NHL ASAP is if you're in a win-now environment and re trying to ice the best 23 man roster possible.

I actually understand bringing KK to the NHL at 18 even if it was wrong for his development. He made our team better.

This year we had the luxury of not having to care about winning at all costs and could easily afford to take it slow with our young players. There was no reason to do what we did whatsoever and risk pushing them too hard, too fast. We could have comfortably built a super team in Laval, had all our young players competing for a championship, develop chemistry together, then bring them all in next year as Tampa did with Palat - Johnson - Kucherov.

Kucherov never played in the AHL with Palat/Johnson.

Reactions: dinodebino and 417

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
I have been lurking the shadows for awhile due to the unlikeable set of characters such as Hoffman, Dadonov, Drouin , Wideman.

If we are going to be bad, can we at least get some players who play with some heart?

Its time Hughes to put some action to get rid of all 4 of these guys. Buy em out,bury them, trade them for beans who cares? They are a bad influence on the younger players as well.

Dadonov and Drouin contracts are done after the season, so they are gone July 1st at the latest (maybe by March 3rd TDL).

Hoffman will be really hard to trade this year, unless you use 50% retention which carries on to next year (and use one of our 3 retention spot).

Wideman could be traded (and might be) due to his low cap hit, but with the probability of Edmundson getting traded, you might want to keep some vets at D. He's also one of our only 5 pro RHD. Could still be gone in the summer if we do some shopping at D.

You cannot buy out players during the season. If you bury them, you have to replace them and we don't really have a prospect heavily knocking on the door so you might send a guy that's not ready to the wolves.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hughes found some decent talent in his year or so. Barron, Dach, Monty, all looking like long term Habs. At the draft Beck and Hutson appear to be steals. Slaf too early yet to judge. Monahan was a good manuever. I think he will use caproom near deadline to secure another first.

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I see lots of people lamenting Montreal beat reporters. Can someone please provide an example of a market where heavy questions are asked and answered during a media scrum or a press conference environment? I am in my mid 40's and have watched a fair amount of sports in my day. I can't recall any serious sports journalism stemming from one of these types of Q&A events. This is a genuine question, not just counter-whining.
Red Fisher might be the only one that could have gotten away with a hard question rooted in journalistic integrity.

rickthegoon

Feb 25, 2012

I would not say that getting Dach is influential ´at this point ´ for the tank.
Our offense would be a bit weaker, but if you still had Romanov in the back end instead of Kovacevic, our back end would be stronger.
For the long term, pretty sure Dach will have much more impact than Romanov, but not for the present season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Xhekaj are doing fine with Hoffman, Drouin, Dadonov, and Wideman in the line-up. Bad influence on the younger players is a reach bud. If that was true, MSL would be all over this.

Drouin and Dadonov are gone after this season. No need to bury them and you can't buy them out in season.

Wideman is a depth guy that we have used too much but meh. It's doesn't mean anything and he's not affecting development from youth.

Hoffman is a guy we might have for one more season. Nothing to panic about

Reactions: tazsub3

tazsub3

May 30, 2016

lurking was a great idea.... come on man picking on hoff i get, but including wideman of all people removes any credibility your statement has.
He is not good at the game of hockey, but he sure has heart

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
One thing we have to keep in mind with Hughes he’s a negotiator and a salesman. While his press conferences are articulate be concious of the fact that compared to the past GM’s the man knows how to craft a narrative. Focus on what’s he’s doing to improve the team and less so the PC’s only is he following the direction he set

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad