Speculation: Kent Hughes press conference (Jan 18 12:30PM TSN690)

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
People expecting absolutes and clear roadmaps with win% laid out on paper for the next 5 years are out to lunch. I love Hughes’ honesty and no bs approach. He has no hang ups about the things one can know, would have no way of knowing, or that need to be assessed as they go.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I'm pretty sure teams want Anderson a lot. I'm not so sure they really want his contract though. This contract will scare lot of GMs. Not the AAV but the amount of years remaining.
These are the same GMs who are ponying up long term deals to players who are 30+. Granted, Anderson is not in the same stratosphere as say a Huberdeau, but the thinking is the same -- most of the time they are not looking for full performance over the term of the deal, only over a certain number of years.

The good thing about Anderson is that the major injury he suffered scared off a lot of potential suitors at the time he signed his extension and luckily it has not been an issue since.

Also of note, Anderson began his deal at age 26 and he'll be only 32 by the time it ends, so the risk of a severe decline is minimized.

I'd like to believe that there are plenty of GMs who want that contract:

- there are not a lot of players who have the size, speed and grit that Anderson has
- a lot of GMs are smitten by the unicorn factor of the power forward profile
- cap will rise in 1-2 years making his contract very digestible
- even if one argues that Anderson is overpaid now, it's not by all that much
- plus, most importantly, he's eye candy to some in our fan base (@Adam Michaels will argue that he's no Juulsen! :sarcasm: )

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Every player needs to be managed differently. Not sure how long it takes for some fans to come to grips with that but it's likely they have fell into the Bergevin/Timmins trap. Kind of funny that Gorton/Hughes are doing some development management the same eh?
I don't think they are though. Hughes and Gorton hired a coach that has scratched Drouin, Dadonov, Armia, and Hoffman multiple times and put Pitlick through waivers to keep Slafkovsky in the lineup. They've scratched Wideman on multiple occasions to keep Harris/Kovacevic/Xhekaj in the lineup as well. They're not benching young players for making a single defensive miscue, nor are they bringing rookies into the lineup while trying to compete. It's a pretty different environment and strategy IMO.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They're not though. Hughes and Gorton hired a coach that has scratched Drouin, Dadonov, Armia, and Hoffman multiple times and put Pitlick through waivers to keep Slafkovsky in the lineup. They've scratched Wideman on multiple occasions to keep Harris/Kovacevic/Xhekaj in the lineup as well. They're not benching young players for making a single defensive miscue, nor are they bringing rookies into the lineup while trying to compete.

It's really reductive to boil this stuff down to just whether a player is developing in the NHL or not, there are massive differences in the team context and overall development strategy.

They are doing some things the same but not all. Not everything the past management did was horrible. That's the point.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
These are the same GMs who are ponying up long term deals to players who are 30+. Granted, Anderson is not in the same stratosphere as say a Huberdeau, but the thinking is the same -- most of the times they are not looking for full performance over the term of the deal, only over a certain number of years.

The good thing about Anderson is that the major injury he suffered scared off a lot of potential suitors at the time he signed his extension and luckily it has not been an issue since.

Also of note, Anderson began his deal at age 26 and he'll be only 32 by the time it ends, so the risk of a severe decline is minimized.

I'd like to believe that there are plenty of GMs who want that contract:

- there are not a lot of players who have the size, speed and grit that Anderson has
- a lot of GMs are smitten by the unicorn factor of the power forward profile
- cap will rise in 1-2 years making his contract very digestible
- even if one argues that Anderson is overpaid now, it's not by all that much
- plus, most importantly, he's eye candy to some in our fan base (@Adam Michaels will argue that he's no Juulsen! :sarcasm: )
Oh! KH will find a fish there's absolutely 0 doubt. But the return might not be what people are expecting if he's traded now. Lot of teams wont be able to find the space. If he keeps scoring at a 20 goals rate his value will be higher in two years after the cap has increased and there will be less year remaining to his contract and he'll be "only" 30.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Listening to Hughes, the org seems perfectly fine w Slaf’s development this season, and having done so @ NHL level vs Barron (for example) @ AHL
They shouldn’t be fine with it. They handled it poorly. If having a smile on your face and not beating yourself into a pulp after you make a mistake was the only prerequisite for playing in the NHL, there’d be a lot less guys riding buses in the minors. I’m not going to light them up for this yet as this is still a very salvageable situation obviously. Kids only 18.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Oh! KH will find a fish there's absolutely 0 doubt. But the return might not be what people are expecting if he's traded now. Lot of teams wont be able to find the space. If he keeps scoring at a 20 goals rate his value will be higher in two years after the cap has increased and there will be less year remaining to his contract and he'll be "only" 30.
That's an interesting thought. There is a market for him but you're suggesting the return may be disappointing? Well, if we are to believe the pundits who are claiming that there are multiple suitors, then wouldn't a smart negotiator like Hughes drive up the price by pitting them one against the other? I do believe there is a juicy return to be had unless the rumors we've been fed are just bunk.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
They are doing some things the same but not all. Not everything the past management did was horrible. That's the point.

Oh come on.

It's not even close.....there's more prospect developing right now this year, then there's been in the 10 years under Bergevin. The whole thing is about developing the players, there's some boundaries it's not perfect, but they protecting them every step of the way.

It's not because people don't like what they are doing with one prospect that means it won't work either.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
I guess but I don't think it has much relevance. I don't think everything the past management did was horrible either, but I just don't see much comparison between the two. When there are only two choices (NHL or one of CHL/AHL/Europe) for most prospects I don't think it tells us anything that two different managers decided to develop certain players in the NHL.

The contexts, coaches, development strategies, and overall treatment of young players vs. veterans under each front office are so different that I don't see the comparison.

tooji

Nov 24, 2015
I was reading a transcription on RDS...they say someone asked Hughes a question about tanking for Bedard, and his answer was along the lines of "I told MSL wins are good, but only up to a certain point"

anyone who watched/listened able to elaborate on what was said exactly? Seems surprising he'd imply he told the coach it's ok to tank/lose
I don’t think a GM could ever admit that, losing on purpose is collusion no?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
That's an interesting thought. There is a market for him but you're suggesting the return may be disappointing? Well, if we are to believe the pundits who are claiming that there are multiple suitors, then wouldn't a smart negotiator like Hughes drive up the price by pitting them one against the other? I do believe there is a juicy return to be had unless the rumors we've been fed are just bunk.

That's the thing i don't believe there's that many suitors atm. I might be wrong about it obviously but how many winning teams can add 5.5 millions to their salary cap without giving up a good roster player? Pretty sure TB would die to add Anderson to their lineup. But looking at their lineup i don't think they can.

Even if they let Killhorn go and replace him by Anderson (adding 1 millions to their cap) Cirelli will earn 1.5 millions more, Sergachev 3.75 millions more and Cernak 2.25 millions more next season. They also have to resign Ross Colton who is on his way for his 2nd ~20 goals season and is earning only 1.125 millions. They must also resign Stamkos after next season so they got to keep some space for that. They'll also have to fill a couple of spots left by players leaving most of them earning in the 1 to 2 millions range.

Lot of winning teams are in their situation. They want to add players like Anderson. But they can't atm. So they go for cheap solution like Corey Perry and Nickla Perdrix. Things will surely be different in 2 years if the cap increase. The COVID flap cap of the last few years have complicated the situation of many winning teams atm like Toronto, TB and now Colorado. You can be sure Colorado wanted to keep Burakovsky but they simply could not.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

That's such a thorny issue. If the team really wanted to tank, it wouldn't come from Marty but from the pawns that would be left over after Hughes traded a few difference-makers.

This is a very deep draft KH with some much needed potential difference makers near the top of this upcoming draft that this team still desperately needs in the organization. There's less than half a season left here so go for the highest much needed pick for this draft and work on building your culture more next season.

You'd best hurry though and get MSL and everyone else onboard here ASAP before you potentially fall out of the top 10 here man because these latest wins have become very irritating. You can start by moving some players out here soon KH and if the players won't cooperate threaten to put them all on waivers and they'll be sent to the AHL. :sarcasm:

Glad Hughues is bald and not like Bergie or else his hair will turn grey real soon
MB aged about 40 years during his 10 years as the Habs GM. :)

Reactions: Runner77

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
I'm pretty sure teams want Anderson a lot. I'm not so sure they really want his contract though. This contract will scare lot of GMs. Not the AAV but the amount of years remaining.

Andy will be much easier to trade summer of 2024 when cap is expected to go up $4m-$5m. He'll have only 3 years left too, which is more palpable for majority of GMs. He'll be 30, but with his size and skating he still should be good to play.

I don't think we need to be rid of him. Need to be patient though, and not sell-off for the sake of selling off. I like Hughes patient approach

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Andy will be much easier to trade summer of 2024 when cap is expected to go up $4m-$5m. He'll have only 3 years left too, which is more palpable for majority of GMs. He'll be 30, but with his size and skating he still should be good to play.

I don't think we need to be rid of him. Need to be patient though, and not sell-off for the sake of selling off. I like Hughes patient approach

That's exactly my point ;)

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I guess but I don't think it has much relevance. I don't think everything the past management did was horrible either, but I just don't see much comparison between the two. When there are only two choices (NHL or one of CHL/AHL/Europe) for most prospects I don't think it tells us anything that two different managers decided to develop certain players in the NHL.

The contexts, coaches, development strategies, and overall treatment of young players vs. veterans under each front office are so different that I don't see the comparison.

They will put more energy into development no doubt. But some fans think that we will send everyone to the AHL now. Comprehension on what is the best development is still a struggle in our fan base.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
Toronto NY and Boston have tough reporters. Philly too — Philly have tough fans in general.

The problem is in Montreal the media are acolytes of the religion of the Habs. And so are we. Even the grumpy critical fellows (like myself) need to see a crumb of micro-success and we get all hopeful and optimistic. It happens often here because we’re fans of the Habs more than we are fans of hockey or whatever.

But it creates an absolutely dire and hollow media situation unfortunately.

toronto has insanely soft media lol

ngc_5128

Sep 24, 2002
Toronto.

When they sucked, questions were kind of hard. Now when they suck in the playoffs it's tougher.

Like 10 years ago, a reporter had enough and started asking tough questions.

Toronto NY and Boston have tough reporters. Philly too — Philly have tough fans in general.

The problem is in Montreal the media are acolytes of the religion of the Habs. And so are we. Even the grumpy critical fellows (like myself) need to see a crumb of micro-success and we get all hopeful and optimistic. It happens often here because we’re fans of the Habs more than we are fans of hockey or whatever.

But it creates an absolutely dire and hollow media situation unfortunately.

Most of these reporters get to ask 1 question and next to no effort or thought is put into most questions. For example, a month or so ago a reporter asked MSL if he believed in the curse of the retro reverse jersey...

I don't necessary think they need to be very heavy/tough questions, but it would be nice if actual effort and thought was put into these questions to give fans some additional background on potential future plans, evaluations of players etc.

I appreciate the feedback, but I guess I should have been a little more specific with my comment. From what I see or read on TSN/Sportsnet/ESPN/The Athletic, the beat report questions are universally soft. I was looking for more concrete examples. My memory is pretty shot, but last year when Toronto lost in the playoffs I don't remember any of the questions to be any tougher than what we see in MTL.

I assume that a team's PR point lectures all the reporters on the ground rules before each one of these things? Wasn't Brendan Kelly removed from the beat after a few weeks on the Gazette because of this?

EDIT: I typed a wrong name in there

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That's the thing i don't believe there's that many suitors atm. I might be wrong about it obviously but how many winning teams can add 5.5 millions to their salary cap without giving up a good roster player? Pretty sure TB would die to add Anderson to their lineup. But looking at their lineup i don't think they can.

Even if they let Killhorn go and replace him by Anderson (adding 1 millions to their cap) Cirelli will earn 1.5 millions more, Sergachev 3.75 millions more and Cernak 2.25 millions more next season. They also have to resign Ross Colton who is on his way for his 2nd ~20 goals season and is earning only 1.125 millions. They must also resign Stamkos after next season so they got to keep some space for that. They'll also have to fill a couple of spots left by players leaving most of them earning in the 1 to 2 millions range.

Lot of winning teams are in their situation. They want to add players like Anderson. But they can't atm. So they go for cheap solution like Corey Perry and Nickla Perdrix. Things will surely be different in 2 years if the cap increase. The COVID flap cap of the last few years have complicated the situation of many winning teams atm like Toronto, TB and now Colorado. You can be sure Colorado wanted to keep Burakovsky but they simply could not.
It doesn't have to be a trade deadline deal, though. When longer term contracts are involved, it is usually easier to make a move during the summer.

However, if you want to focus on the trading deadline, I would argue that GMs who want a player badly, always find a way. I don't think this player's AAV is a major obstacle. Either a third team gets involved or another player comes back to offset part of the salary. Some teams have more flexibility in this regard than others.

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
There is a lot of context and what Hughes said is in line with what you and I have said. The AHL is not the solution for all players. Some other fans didn't like his answer cause it didn't fall in line with their narrative which has been flawed in our herd for a long time now.

I remember a few fans saying "Guhle should play AHL to develop properly" before this season started.

Every player needs to be managed differently. Not sure how long it takes for some fans to come to grips with that but it's likely they have fell into the Bergevin/Timmins trap. Kind of funny that Gorton/Hughes are doing some development management the same eh? Go figure. Marchand quote... Some fans in Canada need to take a look in the mirror

"I don't think there's one path to developing a player" - Kent Hughes

Same one's who are telling everyone how amazing his development is going now.

Go figure.

Is there anyone who actually believes Guhle or Xhekaj's development would have been stunted by playing in Laval?
Barron looks much better than at the start of the season, and of the three he's the only one who already had a year of pro experience (AHL/NHL) under his belt, so it seems like it's worked out fine for him.

What we have PLENTY of experience and evidence of is rushing prospects too early. So the fact that we threw Guhle and Xhekaj straight into the fire, in a losing environment and they turned out OK isn't something to be proud of. It's an unnecessary risk.

And one of the main arguments I kept hearing against this was that they would be targeted by the "goons of the AHL". Turns out Slaf was targeted by NHLers anyway and Guhle's also on IR for an extended period. At least the Jacob Troubas and Tom Wilsons of the AHL can't keep up, that's why they're in the AHL.

Reactions: montreal

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
I appreciate the feedback, but I guess I should have been a little more specific with my comment. From what I see or read on TSN/Sportsnet/ESPN/The Athletic, the beat report questions are universally soft. I was looking for more concrete examples. My memory is pretty shot, but last year when Toronto lost in the playoffs I don't remember any of the questions to be any tougher than what we see in MTL.

I assume that a team's PR point lectures all the reporters on the ground rules before each one of these things? Wasn't Christopher Curtis removed from the beat after a few weeks on the Gazette because of this?
I don't remember Curtis' situation but for sure the amount of access a reporter gets is going to be conditional to them playing it soft. So asking hard questions is basically a no win situation for reporters especially because asking a hard question(s) doesn't even get you an answer to those questions.

Reactions: LaP

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad