Waived: Kenny Agostino, Kevin Graval, Nic Petan, Garrett Wilson

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
If they bring up another guy like Gravel they can only use him for 9 games before he has to clear waivers again.

I am not worried about the Leafs' 7 and 8 Ds (8 and 9 once Dermott gets back) playing 9 games.

This idea that Liljegren is completely disposable as a prospect or should be disposed of because he was a Mark Hunter pick seems like new mythology.

Getting better on the Marlies is somehow now considered a bad thing.

Reactions: therealkoho

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
I'll put my ETA here in response to this:

ETA: Oh, you did say:

That "buil[t] up cap space" would go towards taking care of things like player bonuses, right? 'Cause, of course, there's not really a benefit of building cap space when you're already basically at the hard limit for AAV.
Player bonuses can't be covered by LTIR relief, and so the team would have to leave enough room under their ACSL to cover those bonuses. If I'm not mistaken, that's why we didn't put Horton on LTIR last year, because it would have affected our ability to cover performance bonuses for guys like Matthews and Marner.

Built-up cap space can go towards acquiring more expensive contracts later on in the season - There's always a benefit of building up cap space.

Reactions: Leafsdude7 and kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Player bonuses can't be covered by LTIR relief, and so the team would have to leave enough room under their ACSL to cover those bonuses. If I'm not mistaken, that's why we didn't put Horton on LTIR last year, because it would have affected our ability to cover performance bonuses for guys like Matthews and Marner.

Built-up cap space can go towards acquiring more expensive contracts later on in the season - There's always a benefit of building up cap space.
Exactly correct.

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario

Yes, but you're still limited to the cap ceiling for AAV, yes? So for a team like us where we're already pretty much right at the cap, that benefit isn't really something we'd be able to use.

But building up for player bonus relief is something seriously important for us to do, so that makes sense. We've seen the Blackhawks really have trouble because they went over the cap due to bonuses in the past, and the penalties for doing that can really hurt down the line. We really can't risk losing cap space over the next 2-3 seasons because of bonuses.

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Liljegren was really good in the playoffs last season and Dubas follows the Marlies closely.

So was Sparks the year before. He was also kept despite a horrible training camp and look how that turned out. I don't think we'll be seeing much of the Lily.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Yes, but you're still limited to the cap ceiling for AAV, yes? So for a team like us where we're already pretty much right at the cap, that benefit isn't really something we'd be able to use.

But building up for player bonus relief is something seriously important for us to do, so that makes sense. We've seen the Blackhawks really have trouble because they went over the cap due to bonuses in the past, and the penalties for doing that can really hurt down the line. We really can't risk losing cap space over the next 2-3 seasons because of bonuses.
You can't "build up" to making room for performance bonuses, those already need to be accounted for in your cap. Any cap space accumulated from operating below the ACSL would have to go towards taking on more expensive contracts through trade or promotion, or through retention. You're correct that a team operating at or near their ACSL would gain less benefit from this than a team operating far below their ACSL.

Reactions: kb

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
So was Sparks the year before. He was also kept despite a horrible training camp and look how that turned out. I don't think we'll be seeing much of the Lily.
Lilly didn't look horrible in preseason.
Moore also looked good and thats turned out well.

RoadWarrior

Mar 4, 2002
In a van down by the river
Visit site

So because of Sparks who plays a completely different position we should just dismiss all prior results?

Don’t think so. Prior results matter. It determines player salaries so it must matter.

Reactions: stickty111

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Thankfully Mike Babcock seems to care about the 7 and 8 D because you’ll need them in case of injury.

Regardless - the Leafs don't have the cap space to run 8D once Dermott and Hyman are back. And using a young D as a 7 or 8 is about the dumbest thing imaginable.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011

Liljegren wasn’t horrible in training camp lol

He wasn’t outstanding like Sandin, but he was good.
With this said though, I don’t think Liljegren is here to stay. A lot of people seem to think it’s a cap move. Something about needing to be close to the cap ceiling as possible to make most use of Horton and Clarkson on LTIR.

Reactions: stickty111

Leaf4Life

Feb 8, 2010
So because of Sparks who plays a completely different position we should just dismiss all prior results?

Don’t think so. Prior results matter. It determines player salaries so it must matter.

Not dismiss, but prior performance in a DIFFERENT LEAGUE (AHL) need to be taken with a grain of salt when evaluating a player's NHL-readiness.

PromoterDave

Apr 22, 2016
Toronto
C: Tavares
A: Rielly
A: Muzzin

Kapanen Tavares Marner
Johnsson Matthews Nylander
Mikeyev Kerfoot Moore
Timashov Gauthier Spezza

Rielly Ceci
Muzzin Barrie
Sandin Marincin

Andersen
Hutchison

Extras: Shore, Holl

Leafsdude7

Stand-Up Philosopher
Mar 26, 2011
Ontario
You can't "build up" to making room for performance bonuses, those already need to be accounted for in your cap. Any cap space accumulated from operating below the ACSL would have to go towards taking on more expensive contracts through trade or promotion, or through retention. You're correct that a team operating at or near their ACSL would gain less benefit from this than a team operating far below their ACSL.

I'm confused now.

I thought that the difference between actual cap and ACSL gets built into accumulated cap space over the season, and that accumulated cap space can then go to performance bonuses.

AFAIC, there's no benefit to building cap space for taking on contracts because we're not going to be able to take on any contracts in the first place, since we're not going to have cap space going forward to hold the AAV. Honestly, I'm not even sure how building cap space helps take on contracts down the line in the first place, since you're not accumulating cap space over the cap limit, since having over the 81.5M cap in AAV is not allowed...

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I'm confused now.

I thought that the difference between actual cap and ACSL gets built into accumulated cap space over the season, and that accumulated cap space can then go to performance bonuses.

AFAIC, there's no benefit to building cap space for taking on contracts because we're not going to be able to take on any contracts in the first place, since we're not going to have cap space going forward to hold the AAV. Honestly, I'm not even sure how building cap space helps take on contracts down the line in the first place, since you're not accumulating cap space over the cap limit, since having over the 81.5M cap in AAV is not allowed...
LTIR never accumulates, only actual cap space does. And cap space accumulation is good for performance bonuses, but also for acquiring players too. Usually for players with expiring contracts, but if not, they have the summer to get cap compliant

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
You guys really care too much about cap minutia :P I don’t get the cap, I don’t want to get it either. Leafs have qualified guys who know how it works. I try to just concentrate on the hockey on the ice. But if caring about these kinds of things is part of the fun for you guys, then that’s fine too. Just don’t stress yourself out too much, haha.

Reactions: supermann_98 and kb

18leafsfan18

Jul 28, 2012
Ontario
I'm confused now.

Check capfriendly's FAQ on LTIR. I found it very helpful.

The ACSL is an equation to set what a team's cap ceiling will be (Upper Limit of cap - team cap space). In the current scenario that is 81.5-0.1 so the ACSL = 81.4 (Leafs Salary Cap)

The ACSL is only calculated when a team first enters LTIR, if a player is placed on LTIR while another player is already on LTIR, the ACSL is not recalculated. In the event that a team stops using LTIR, their ACSL resets to the default upper limit of the active season, upon reentering LTIR, the ACSL is again recalculated.

So the Leafs salary cap when using LTIR will be 81.4 million, not 81.5. This is why they need to maximize non LTIR contracts as close as possible to the upper limit of 81.5 as soon as they place their first player on LTIR.

For example when Horton is placed on LTIR the Leafs will receive a 5.3 mil salary pool that they can use after they go past their 81.4 mill salary cap (5.3 mil over the 81.5 cap). They can now afford a player worth 5.2 million.

LTIR allows the team to go over the cap. It creates 2 "pools" of money, 1 being a performance bonus pool (LTIR contract's performance bonus amount), the other being a salary pool (LTIR contract's salary amount). In the Leafs situation both of their large LTIR players (Horton, Clarkson) don't have performance bonus. Leafs can only use the extra pool of money on salary, not performance bonuses.

If I'm wrong on this please someone correct me. This is what I gather from the capfriendly FAQ

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
His audition as a LWer might be interesting with Hyman out.

I personally think Johnsson is someone the Leafs would trade before Kapanen though, especially if Kapanen shows value on the left side.

It's a good problem to have. You can't keep every secondary player.

I like Kappy better than Johnsson, but AJ's 4th year is huge.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad