Waived: Kenny Agostino, Kevin Graval, Nic Petan, Garrett Wilson

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Check capfriendly's FAQ on LTIR. I found it very helpful.

The ACSL is an equation to set what a team's cap ceiling will be (Upper Limit of cap - team cap space). In the current scenario that is 81.5-0.1 so the ACSL = 81.4 (Leafs Salary Cap)

The ACSL is only calculated when a team first enters LTIR, if a player is placed on LTIR while another player is already on LTIR, the ACSL is not recalculated. In the event that a team stops using LTIR, their ACSL resets to the default upper limit of the active season, upon reentering LTIR, the ACSL is again recalculated.

So the Leafs salary cap when using LTIR will be 81.4 million, not 81.5. This is why they need to maximize non LTIR contracts as close as possible to the upper limit of 81.5 as soon as they place their first player on LTIR.

For example when Horton is placed on LTIR the Leafs will receive a 5.3 mil salary pool that they can use after they go past their 81.4 mill salary cap (5.3 mil over the 81.5 cap). They can now afford a player worth 5.2 million.

LTIR allows the team to go over the cap. It creates 2 "pools" of money, 1 being a performance bonus pool (LTIR contract's performance bonus amount), the other being a salary pool (LTIR contract's salary amount). In the Leafs situation both of their large LTIR players (Horton, Clarkson) don't have performance bonus. Leafs can only use the extra pool of money on salary, not performance bonuses.

If I'm wrong on this please someone correct me. This is what I gather from the capfriendly FAQ

This is correct. One for salary and one for performance bonuses.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Petan seems like the kind of player who could go and score 20 somewhere.

That said I won't miss him at all if he gets waived because I doubt it will be here.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
Petan seems like the kind of player who could go and score 20 somewhere.

That said I won't miss him at all if he gets waived because I doubt it will be here.

Respectfully disagree.

I don’t find him to be a particularly impactful player.

While I wish him well, I don’t expect to be lamenting him at all. Looks like a career AHL player, with a future in Europe as well.

We have better, younger guys we need to focus on developing...

Reactions: Jmo89

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Also our top 6 is pretty tough to crack. Petan isn't as well suited for the bottom 6 as others.
Bracco might get the first call for top 6

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kappy is a RFA at the end of his contract. Johnsson is a UFA. That 4th year is not so huge when that is taken into account.
It is when you look at the timing. It's unlikely that we'll be able to afford second contracts to either with Rielly and now Sandin up that summer and more money likely put into goalie.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
It is when you look at the timing. It's unlikely that we'll be able to afford second contracts to either with Rielly and now Sandin up that summer and more money likely put into goalie.

I don't think Leafs should be spending much more money into a goalie than what they are spending now. Not a fan of large contracts to goalies. I'd rather keep Rielly than spend 7 or 8 or more for a goalie.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

Basically, this combination of players salaries, got them as close as possible, within $10,840 of the maximum salary cap, raising the ACSL, and maximum LTIR.

The actual paper transactiion of LTIR is complex and I know the Leafs know what they'r doing. Assuming CapFriendly does as well and that number is correct and they have $10,840 in cap space they could have gotten 10k lower by paper transaction sending Sandin and Liljegren down and calling Engvall and Bracco back up for the technical opening roster and they did whatever they wanted for the actual roster once the day 1 thing is official. All those players are waiver exempt so they'd lose nobody

$10,840 cap space
Demote Sandin adds $894,167 in cap space
$905,007 cap space
Demote Liljegren adds $863,333 in cap space
$1,768,340 cap space
Recalling Engvall subtracts $925,000 in cap space
$843,340 cap space
Recalling Bracco subtracts $842,500 in cap space

Leaving $840 in cap space.

I don't doubt that the Leafs know what they're doing. If the CapFriendly number is correct however they could have gotten closer by using the above transactions. Which makes me doubt capFriendly slightly. The CapFriendly number has me confused because in their calculation of the Leafs 95,152,493 number online to give that 13,652,493 number it includes 98k from Kalle Kossila on SOIR which I don't understand where that number comes from.

Reactions: Frelimo

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
so looking like this is the opening day roster:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Moore
Shore/Timashov-Gauthier-Spezza

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Liljegren/Marincin
Holl

Andersen
Hutchison
I wonder if Babs will play both Liljegren and Sandin, but stagger them; each with a reliable veteran partner.

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
The actual paper transactiion of LTIR is complex and I know the Leafs know what they'r doing. Assuming CapFriendly does as well and that number is correct and they have $10,840 in cap space they could have gotten 10k lower by paper transaction sending Sandin and Liljegren down and calling Engvall and Bracco back up for the technical opening roster and they did whatever they wanted for the actual roster once the day 1 thing is official. All those players are waiver exempt so they'd lose nobody

$10,840 cap space
$905,007 cap space
$1,768,340 cap space
$843,340 cap space

I don't doubt that the Leafs know what they're doing. If the CapFriendly number is correct however they could have gotten closer by using the above transactions. Which makes me doubt capFriendly slightly. The CapFriendly number has me confused because in their calculation of the Leafs 95,152,493 number online to give that 13,652,493 number it includes 98k from Kalle Kossila on SOIR which I don't understand where that number comes from.

I think the issue is the opening night rosters are frozen and you can't make changes until after the first day

So they weren't just aiming to be closest possible, but close enough

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

$10,840 cap space
$905,007 cap space
$1,768,340 cap space
$843,340 cap space

You’re making one mistake here: starting cap space is $0, not $10,840. When teams use LTIR on the final day of training camp to be cap compliant they always start day 1 with zero cap space.

$10,840 is the amount of LTIR relief the Leafs missed out on. Which is pretty good given the $13m+ in the LTIR relief pool.

Reactions: kb

shaner82

Apr 18, 2017
Really think petan could have been something. I also think there's zero chance Babcock keeps a guy like that on the 3rd or 4th line. He either needed to crack the top 2 lines (no chance of that obviously) or he had no hope in hell of staying

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
You’re making one mistake here: starting cap space is $0, not $10,840. When teams use LTIR on the final day of training camp to be cap compliant they always start day 1 with zero cap space.

$10,840 is the amount of LTIR relief the Leafs missed out on. Which is pretty good given the $13m+ in the LTIR relief pool.

edit: I worded myself badly in the first post calling the 10,840 cap space. That's not what I meant. I was just trying to say they could have been within 840 rather than the 10,840 they currently are. /end edit

I know it's complex. I think you're misunderstanding me. People have been saying(including CapFriendly implying) they need to get as close as possible before using it to maximize the benefit. Thus they may have made the roster a certain way to get as close as they could. Within 10,840. I'm saying if they demoted Lil and Sandin for Bracco and Engvall they would have been within 840.

If being as close as possible does no benefit at all then why does anyone care they were within 10,840. If it does they could have gotten 10k closer if CapFriendly's numbers are correct. Missing out on 10k less. They start with 0 in space, then reverse those moves to get where they currently are and have 10k in space rather than the 0 they currently have.

Last edited:

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
Just a miscellaneous post Timashov speaks Russian. Mikeyahev does not speak English. It may have been a small factor. Flame away.

Jmo89

Mar 21, 2010
Respectfully disagree.

I don’t find him to be a particularly impactful player.

While I wish him well, I don’t expect to be lamenting him at all. Looks like a career AHL player, with a future in Europe as well.

We have better, younger guys we need to focus on developing...

Yeah, either way I don't see him succeeding with the Leafs.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

In addition to the above however since you know the best of anyone here I would bet. How does the 97,850 Kossila SOIR that's listed on CapFriendly get calculated? I literally have no idea where that numbers comes from.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
edit: I worded myself badly in the first post calling the 10,840 cap space. That's not what I meant. I was just trying to say they could have been within 840 rather than the 10,840 they currently are. /end edit

I know it's complex. I think you're misunderstanding me. People have been saying(including CapFriendly implying) they need to get as close as possible before using it to maximize the benefit. Thus they may have made the roster a certain way to get as close as they could. Within 10,840. I'm saying if they demoted Lil and Sandin for Bracco and Engvall they would have been within 840.

If being as close as possible does no benefit at all then why does anyone care they were within 10,840. If it does they could have gotten 10k closer if CapFriendly's numbers are correct. Missing out on 10k less. They start with 0 in space, then reverse those moves to get where they currently are and have 10k in space rather than the 0 they currently have.

No worries. I just must have incorrectly read your post as saying the Leafs could make those moves on day 1 now and still have $840 in space remaining.

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
so looking like this is the opening day roster:

Johnsson-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Mikheyev-Kerfoot-Moore
Shore/Timashov-Gauthier-Spezza

Rielly-Ceci
Muzzin-Barrie
Sandin-Liljegren/Marincin
Holl

Andersen
Hutchison

Shore is a right winger

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Just a miscellaneous post Timashov speaks Russian. Mikeyahev does not speak English. It may have been a small factor. Flame away.

So does Korshkov lol Tima deserved it slightly more out of the 2. Doesnt mean eventually we dont switch it up. But Tima had to go through waivers that's the other reason

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
No worries. I just must have incorrectly read your post as saying the Leafs could make those moves on day 1 now and still have $840 in space remaining.

Yeah I definitely realized once I read it back using the word cap space in relation to the 10,840 number made it seem like I was saying something else.

Essentially the closer we were to the 81.5 number without Clarkson, Horton, Hyman, Dermott the better. Meaning the lower the already calculated 10,840 number the better. If we demoted Sandin, Liljegren for Bracco, and Engvall that number becomes 840. You open with 0 in cap space. If the current roster is your actual roster then reverse those paper transactions on Wednesday and now you have 10k in space.

I was just saying if CapFriendly's numbers were correct and they got within 10,840 of perfect, they could have been closer, so either something is up transaction wise, the Leafs didn't maximize their relief or CapFriendly's numbers are wrong? And I'm pretty sure it's not 2 as Pridham helped write the CBA, and I don't think it's 3 either.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
In addition to the above however since you know the best of anyone here I would bet. How does the 97,850 Kossila SOIR that's listed on CapFriendly get calculated? I literally have no idea where that numbers comes from.

SOIR is for players who are on 2-way contracts, who are either injured during training camp, or report to training camp injured as a result of something involving their employment** as a hockey player.

If player who meets that criteria is put on IR during camp then their cap hit is equal to the % of time they were on an NHL roster the prior season. Kossila was on the Anaheim roster for 26 of 186 days last season. So his cap hit is 26/186 of his $700k AAV.

On a related note that also means Kossila is paid at a daily blended rate of his NHL and AHL salaries. 26/186 * NHL salary + 160/186 * AHL salary.

**Hockey related injury is anything related to employment as a hockey player. For example if a player was injured in a car accident on the way to the gym or rink to train that would be covered.

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
So does Korshkov lol Tima deserved it slightly more out of the 2. Doesnt mean eventually we dont switch it up. But Tima had to go through waivers that's the other reason
Timashov has been playing in NA for four years and is very fluent in English and Russian. Korshov can not speak or understand English. You would have Korshov translate the coaches instructions for Mikeyahev. LOL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->