GDT: Ken Holland Press Conference (Dave Tippett officially named head coach - 11am MT - May 28, 2019)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Yeah I'm sure they do. Just to be clear we're not talking about next season, right? One of them hasn't even played in the AHL, while the other hasn't even played 10 games in the pros yet.
I'm not assuming next season, but it's stupid to pretend as if these kids don't have a chance to earn their spot. EARN their spot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Nielson’s Ten Tidbits on the Tippett Press Conference

Neilsen's 10 tidbits about the presser

Really had to laugh at this tidbit

Tom Gazolla was covering the presser for TSN as Ryan Rishaug is currently eating his own weight in donuts in Boston. Gazolla’s socks were certainly a discussion point. He wasn’t just wearing low cut socks, it looked like he wasn’t wearing any socks at all. Apparently, they are called no-show socks and by all accounts, they feel terrific. I have had a couple of pairs of no-shows myself but I’m never sure if I’m wearing them correctly. Have you ever tried the no-shows?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
After reading everything last night and this morning the one thing I really like about Tippett is his ability to adapt.

In Dallas he was brought in to inject offense into their club. In ARI he tightened up as they didn't have the skill.

I feel far too often coaches come into a club and once they come up with a system and they rarely deviate from it.

I still remember Babcock's quote from years ago. He pretty much said when he first went to Detroit he 100% had a plan. He got there and leadership pulled him aside and said no. They told him to watch how they play before changing anything major. If Babcock didn't have that flexibility wonder how he would've turned out.

Reactions: Oilhawks

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'm not assuming next season, but it's stupid to pretend as if these kids don't have a chance to earn their spot. EARN their spot.

If they earn their spot it's because what we've got doesn't cut it in the NHL and I'm pretty sure according to Holland's philosophy that's not a reason to let someone into the NHL. But I could be wrong.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If they earn their spot it's because what we've got doesn't cut it in the NHL and I'm pretty sure according to Holland's philosophy that's not a reason to let someone into the NHL. But I could be wrong.
Of course, but young players can earn their spots, because that's why you have competition for the spots.

Jul 16, 2013
Edmonton
I'm feeling optimistic about the direction of the club for the first time in quite awhile. They have the coach and GM in place well well before the draft, lots of time for prep and for discussions to be had. I really like that Tippett and Holland are on the same page, most successful teams have a coach and a GM that communicate well.

Reactions: EagerPug

space321

May 11, 2011
Only thing I would say is the day that Holland was hired(3 weeks ago) there was already smoke about Tippett. I think this has been going on much longer than 1 week. I wouldn’t be surprised if Holland talked to Tippett before he took the job because it’s fairly obvious that he had him in mind. I just took his comment today that they really been hashing the details out the last week. I don’t know if this is a good hire, time will tell but I wouldn’t get caught up in the one week comment.

Having someone already in mind is exactly what bothers me about this hire. It reminds me of when Chiarelli traded for Reinhart and Larsson. He had his eyes set on "young RHD" and acquired them at any cost. Basically he didn't play the market at ALL. That's how we ended up in this shit show of a roster in the first place.

Time will tell, but it's never a good idea to not do your due diligence as management.

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
I'm feeling optimistic about the direction of the club for the first time in quite awhile.

I'm cautiously optimistic so far. I would like to see a number of firings before I get truly excited. I would like to see one of the three horsemen (Bill Scott, Scott Howson or Bob Green) go, I would love to see Howson get dumped considering that he has had literally NO success as a manager at any point in his career but that looks unlikely. Would be overjoyed to see Bob Green fired. All of the amateur and professional scouting staff need to go as well. Still... getting MacT to f*** off was a huge accomplishment, and I tip my hat majorly to him for accomplishing that alone.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Having someone already in mind is exactly what bothers me about this hire. It reminds me of when Chiarelli traded for Reinhart and Larsson. He had his eyes set on "young RHD" and acquired them at any cost. Basically he didn't play the market at ALL. That's how we ended up in this **** show of a roster in the first place.

Time will tell, but it's never a good idea to not do your due diligence as management.
....they talked about this in the press conference. He did is f***ing due dillegence. They had a bunch of candidates and went thru the process but Tippett was always on the back of his mind.

That's literally due dilligence.

Reactions: nabob and North

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
He sounds like everyone's best friend's dad.
Wait, do you have an opinion on him? You seem to just be narrating on other peoples' comments and opinions without forming one of your own.

Sorry there hem, old thread was closed so I couldn't respond. I think I did answer that. Dave Tippett took that team (Coyotes) to the Western Final, somewhere that Franchise had never been, ever. His last few years there he had absolutely nothing to work with.

Not quite sure why so many fans don't like this. How do I feel about him - I think he may be the best coach this franchise has ever had. Hopefully that answers your question. And please, dont bring up Sather, he was a great GM, but a coach?? Not so much. Oilers had to outscore their mistakes and rely on Fuhr/Moog to stand on their heads. He wasn't a bad coach, but I could've coached those Oilers to Stanley Cups.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Having someone already in mind is exactly what bothers me about this hire. It reminds me of when Chiarelli traded for Reinhart and Larsson. He had his eyes set on "young RHD" and acquired them at any cost. Basically he didn't play the market at ALL. That's how we ended up in this **** show of a roster in the first place.

I still have no idea what you are talking about. What exactly, specifically, do YOU know about him that has you believing he'll be a bad coach? As I just mentioned, he may be the best coach this franchise has ever hired. Time will tell on that but I won't be surprised if he is. You don't spend 7 years with one team then 8 with another if you are a bad coach. That just doesn't happen. I would just chill a bit and wait to see what happens. You'll look pretty silly if we get 110 points and end up in the semi's or finals. Oh, not saying we will - or expecting that, I'm just saying - you won' t have anywhere to hide if we do. I would be a lot more surprised if we weren't better next year, and not by a little either.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
I'm even more foolishly optimistic than last year! Except I think it's not foolish this time! (again)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad