GDT: Ken Holland Press Conference (Dave Tippett officially named head coach - 11am MT - May 28, 2019)

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Dave says he has relationships with all three current Oilers assistants - wants to talk to them before making any coaching decisions.

Sounds like there is potential for some of them to stay.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
7B2BB583-E9F9-417D-9043-E44A424786B6.gif

Welcome aboard Tippett!

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Tippett laughs at comments saying he is a defensive coach, says in fact he was hired to be the head coach of Dallas because he was a good offensive coach.

Looks like posters are accurate when they say he coaches based on the team he has in front of him.
"I'm not an offensive coach,I'm not a defensive coach, I'm a coach that tries to find a way to win..."

Last edited:

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
Ok I changed my mind on Tippet, Boys this team is being set up to win multiple cups. He adjusts his style to match the talent he has. Hoping Connor/Leon can smash through their previous point ceiling.

Reactions: Phaneufed

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Holland pretty much admitted that going with a rookie coach in Blashill was a mistake.

Really liked what I heard from Tippet

Reactions: KYams17

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
Dave says he has relationships with all three current Oilers assistants - wants to talk to them before making any coaching decisions.

Sounds like there is potential for some of them to stay.

I thought it sounded more like “I’m going to replace them but need to tell them first.”

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Tippett laughs at comments saying he is a defensive coach, says in fact he was hired to be the head coach of Dallas because he was a good offensive coach.

Looks like posters are accurate when they say he coaches based on the team he has in front of him.

Yeah...there were a lot of very inaccurate charactorizations of Tippett as a coach.

He is not Ken Hitchcock...nor is he Jacque Lemaire.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Welp, we got our GM and coach, the same amount of effort as the last GM and coach was put into hiring them. Hopefully it works this time.

Reactions: Aerchon

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Heard some good things. Hopefully it works out. I think the experience thing was stressed a bit too much, but will see. Interested to see what he does with the assistants.

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
I don't know. I saw it more like a "I need to talk to them to see where there headspace is at".

It’s all speculation from one line. I don’t want to see anyone from the prior coaching staff there, so thats probably why I’m hearing it that way. Only one I may want to see is Yawney, but I’m sure he’s following Todd.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
I thought it sounded more like “I’m going to replace them but need to tell them first.”
I think that’ll be the case, I mean we have a new GM and head coach why keep the failure assistants? Clean house.

Pointteen

Jun 9, 2008
New Brunswick
Welp, we got our GM and coach, the same amount of effort as the last GM and coach was put into hiring them. Hopefully it works this time.

This is some bullshit. Let's have some facts to support the narrative.

Holland was the best option available. We're lucky to have needed a GM when he was available.
As far as coaches go... I didn't particularly like any options. I would love to see Nelson here as an assistant, but why would he?

I just hope our assistant coache change.

Reactions: Mcjlockhart89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad