GDT: Ken Holland Press Conference (Dave Tippett officially named head coach - 11am MT - May 28, 2019)

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Not sure if this has been posted yet but Gregor interviewed Tippett yesterday. He transcribed the audio in the following article...

One-On-One with Tippett

Its definitely worth a read.

This question/answer stood out for me.....

Gregor: We had Shane Doan on the program earlier, and he played under you for eight seasons in Arizona and Phoenix and shared some really good insight on the players he felt would succeed under you. The one thing he said, regardless of stature of the player, that you demand is to ensure your players are in the battle all of the time. Shane admitted some guys who didn’t buy in early did eventually buy in, and a lot of them had some of their best years. How do you get a player to understand how to be in the battle every night?

Tippett: Well you tell him exactly what is expected and be very honest with him and keep him accountable to whether he is doing it or not. Sometimes the accountability is talking to people. Other times I use it a lot of stats, a lot of the analytics stuff to explain to a player where his level is at and where it should be and where he can get to. So there are a lot of different ways to motivate players and every player is different. Some people you can motivate them through just talking. Other ones you’ve really got to lay it out. Some players you show them some video and they actually get exactly what you’re talking about. There’s a lot of different factors to get the message across, but ultimately you find what works best for each player, and then you try to mold all of the players together. If you do that, you have a good hockey team.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
What? Holland wasn’t available. He had a pretty decent gig in Detroit before we landed him.

I get the pessimism, especially after everything Oilers fans have endured but comparing Chia to Holland is pretty absurd at this point. One man is considered to be one of the worst GM’s of all time and the other is considered to be a hall of fame GM.

I’m cautiously optimistic about Holland but he has done (in 3 weeks) everything we were hoping Chia would do when he got here.
I recalled Chia hired his head coach much quicker than Holland hired his. Holland in 3 weeks has done what exactly? Make one hire and fly to places jerking around. You make it sound like in 3 months, we'll be stanley cup bound.

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Todd never took really good teams to the SCF, Tippett took the ****ing Coyotes to the SCF. Hardly the same thing. I remember people laughing at the Flames signing Peters as their HC, they had a pretty damn good regular season. Wait for the results to show us if he's a good coach or not because it's hit and miss sometimes in terms of coaches.
Really? When did the Coyotes go to the SCF? I forgot.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I recalled Chia hired his head coach much quicker than Holland hired his. Holland in 3 weeks has done what exactly? Make one hire and fly to places jerking around. You make it sound like in 3 months, we'll be stanley cup bound.
He’s started cleaning out the obc? Have you been missing the past 3 weeks? I’m pretty sure you’ve been posting dumb hot takes the last 3 weeks.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton

This obvious gimmick troll account is so thin.

You're seriously blaming Holland for not hiring Tippett quicker? What f***ing universe am I living in?

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Having someone already in mind is exactly what bothers me about this hire. It reminds me of when Chiarelli traded for Reinhart and Larsson. He had his eyes set on "young RHD" and acquired them at any cost. Basically he didn't play the market at ALL. That's how we ended up in this **** show of a roster in the first place.

Time will tell, but it's never a good idea to not do your due diligence as management.

If he didn’t have ideas in his head about who would be a good coach then he wouldn’t be a good GM. The fact that he didn’t instantly hire him and there were others given considerations shows he did his due diligence.

He’s running a huge business basically for the Oilers. Imagine running a business and not giving any thought to any of the people you’d want to hire until after you open up shop. That would be not doing your due diligence.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
If he didn’t have ideas in his head about who would be a good coach then he wouldn’t be a good GM. The fact that he didn’t instantly hire him and there were others given considerations shows he did his due diligence.

He’s running a huge business basically for the Oilers. Imagine running a business and not giving any thought to any of the people you’d want to hire until after you open up shop. That would be not doing your due diligence.
Like seriously. Holland had a guy he knew he wantesld and still freaking looked at and interviewed other candidates before making his decision. Just cause he went with his first choice doesn't mean he didn't do due dilligence. If anything he had a good guy instinct but still went and made sure.

space321

May 11, 2011
I still have no idea what you are talking about. What exactly, specifically, do YOU know about him that has you believing he'll be a bad coach? As I just mentioned, he may be the best coach this franchise has ever hired. Time will tell on that but I won't be surprised if he is. You don't spend 7 years with one team then 8 with another if you are a bad coach. That just doesn't happen. I would just chill a bit and wait to see what happens. You'll look pretty silly if we get 110 points and end up in the semi's or finals. Oh, not saying we will - or expecting that, I'm just saying - you won' t have anywhere to hide if we do. I would be a lot more surprised if we weren't better next year, and not by a little either.

Dude lol chill out. I'm just concerned because Tippett's reputation and his last 5 years in Arizona were absolutely TRASH. I like how he gets credit for taking a "bad team to the playoffs", but escapes all blame for missing hte playoffs for 5 years straight. This is the same double standard I've seen in this place for the past 3 years. All these excuses were given to Chiarelli and the people + players he brought in.

Plus I said "time will tell", aka I'm waiting to see the on ice results. What I hate the most is how fans will try to spin every trade/hire/transaction as a positive one. The majority here have already spun up the narrative that Tippett's the best thing since sliced bread. Would it kill you guys to be a bit more held back lol.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
I'm all for approaching the season with skepticism and a critical lens.
We've done the hope-skip-and-a-jump to the bottom of the pack too many times not to be wary.

But at this stage, for what can be expected in the last 3 weeks, I think we've accomplished some decent wins that don't really merit the beat down.

-New GM
-New Coach
-Out with MacT
-Out with Sutter
-Out with Coffey
-Most of the right things being said and envisioned

Granted there is yet to be seen some of the most major transactions, but as far as the Oilers off-season so far especially in this May window, it's about as decent as it gets. We're not passed the "words" stage yet, so that's the only part we can really judge. The right things are being said. The right actions, no one can really judge anything of the roster make-up or team play just yet obviously, but the restructuring/cleaning of upper management so far is a general positive.

There's more we want to see, but it just isn't here yet to poke at.
Tippett's first step was the press conference, and there really isn't anything to hate from there.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
I'm all for approaching the season with skepticism and a critical lens.
We've done the hope-skip-and-a-jump to the bottom of the pack too many times not to be wary.

But at this stage, for what can be expected in the last 3 weeks, I think we've accomplished some decent wins that don't really merit the beat down.

-New GM
-New Coach
-Out with MacT
-Out with Sutter
-Out with Coffey
-Most of the right things being said and envisioned

Granted there is yet to be seen some of the most major transactions, but as far as the Oilers off-season so far especially in this May window, it's about as decent as it gets. We're not passed the "words" stage yet, so that's the only part we can really judge. The right things are being said. The right actions, no one can really judge anything of the roster make-up or team play just yet obviously, but the restructuring/cleaning of upper management so far is a general positive.

There's more we want to see, but it just isn't here yet to poke at.
Tippett's first step was the press conference, and there really isn't anything to hate from there.
Keeping K. Gretzky would be a "win" too.

North

Jun 25, 2009
Dude lol chill out. I'm just concerned because Tippett's reputation and his last 5 years in Arizona were absolutely TRASH. I like how he gets credit for taking a "bad team to the playoffs", but escapes all blame for missing hte playoffs for 5 years straight. This is the same double standard I've seen in this place for the past 3 years. All these excuses were given to Chiarelli and the people + players he brought in.

Plus I said "time will tell", aka I'm waiting to see the on ice results. What I hate the most is how fans will try to spin every trade/hire/transaction as a positive one. The majority here have already spun up the narrative that Tippett's the best thing since sliced bread. Would it kill you guys to be a bit more held back lol.

Not sure why you’re policing other people’s positivity. The reason they are positive is because they’ve done their research not just focused on his “reputation”.

Not sure how it affects you one way or another if people are okay with this hire.

If you want to be cautious have at it, but let people be excited and/or enjoy things.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017

Shouldn’t you be more worried about kassian being on the first line?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017

Fans here try to spin every signing and hiring as a negative no matter what.

People like this hiring because he is an experienced well liked players coach who teaches responsibility and people trust Holland to actually start improving the team
Some people rather be hopeful and proven wrong then always angry mad about everything just in case.

Reactions: Cypress and North

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Fans here try to spin every signing and hiring as a negative no matter what.

People like this hiring because he is an experienced well liked players coach who teaches responsibility and people trust Holland to actually start improving the team
Some people rather be hopeful and proven wrong then always angry mad about everything just in case.

Some people like being right at all times, regardless if the team succeeds or not.

Those valuable internet bragging rights are something.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad