GDT: Ken Holland Press Conference (Dave Tippett officially named head coach - 11am MT - May 28, 2019)

aspin3

Oct 31, 2017
The 2017 draft by Detroit was nothing short of horrible. Don't really want Tyler Wright here if this is what he brings:
upload_2019-5-31_9-20-33.png

Reactions: Aerchon

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Why keep Gulutzen? He hasn't done anything well at the NHL level IMO.

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Top 10 PP last year.

But at the end of the day it's really about who the main guy is comfortable with. Obviously DT sees something in him.

That's true. Your head coach should really have last say on things or make an indication things need to change.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That's true. Your head coach should really have last say on things or make an indication things need to change.
I just like that both coach and gm seem to be able to make changes right off the bat. Although TM was given the same when he came in.

aqib

Feb 13, 2012
I suppose if Chia/McLellan didn't happen I would be more excited about Holland and Tippett but that whole experience has me jaded against retreads. I understand that is totally irrational.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
At least Coffey is gone now. Are we sure Messier is still employed by the team? I don’t know what he’s ever done, maybe even less than Coffey. Gretzky is listed as a partner. Does that mean he’s a minority owner? It’s hard to see what value this team has gotten from any of these guys, especially if it’s been at the expense of real hockey people being hired. Mactavish’s and Coffey’s departures, though, look to be signalling the end of that mistake and I don’t see how that’s anything other than good.

I don’t know how much profit is enough for Katz. One thing I’m sure of though is he isn’t going to operate this team at a loss or at a level where he doesn’t think he’s making enough profit. That’s why I’m glad he’s starting to get rid of the dead weight instead of cutting back in other areas.

One thing that seems certain is that there has been a philosophical change in the organization in the last four months or so. I think it’s been long overdue.
Lets hope :) I've had entirely too much winning with all this rings and ring-hockey knowledge.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
But it does matter.

If, for some reason, the Oilers wanted to move on from Tippett before his contract is done, paying him "only" $2.75M to sit at home is an easier pill to swallow for Katz than if he was making $4M+.

Katz doesn't have an unlimited amount of money to put into the team either. He took ownership of the failures of the team at the Holland press conference and now it seems that the dead weight is finally being removed. I don't think he wants to waste any more money on people who aren't helping the team win.

Ralph Krueger hasn't coached in six years and got almost $4M/season from the Sabres. The Oilers got a bargain for Tippett.
I personally dont see a difference in 1 million or 5 million when it comes to staff. There is no pill a fan has to swallow. And yes, he does have unlimited money to throw at the team, he had every X 80s Oiler hired for what appears to be no reason, 1 mil here 5 mil there is nothing in the scheme of things. If they hire 20 more scouts, I will retract that.

If had any relevance to the cap, then we can discuss. I could care less what happens to Katz money, and not many cared when a rink was bought for him as well, or all the downtown property.

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Dude lol chill out. I'm just concerned because Tippett's reputation and his last 5 years in Arizona were absolutely TRASH. I like how he gets credit for taking a "bad team to the playoffs", but escapes all blame for missing hte playoffs for 5 years straight. This is the same double standard I've seen in this place for the past 3 years. All these excuses were given to Chiarelli and the people + players he brought in.

Plus I said "time will tell", aka I'm waiting to see the on ice results. What I hate the most is how fans will try to spin every trade/hire/transaction as a positive one. The majority here have already spun up the narrative that Tippett's the best thing since sliced bread. Would it kill you guys to be a bit more held back lol.

But look at their team Space - what makes you think they were a good team? What I remember is his teams always played well and with structure. One thing his teams never were was poorly coached. How has Arizona done since Tippett left? And why was Tippett fired? Was he fired because he was a bad coach -no. Was he fired because the game passed him by? No. He was fired because John Chayka took over as GM - what do GM's do? They hire THEIR people - and a coach is the #1 in your face position that a GM will replace when hired. Happens all the time.

We still have holes on our roster that needs fixed - and no matter what Holland does to plug the holes, and no matter how well Tippett coaches - if we get the same goaltending that we've received from Talbot and Kos since our last playoff season then we're hooped anyway. Just look at St.Louis - dead last Jan 2, they get a good goalie in Binnington, team in front gains confidence and wham, they are two games from a Stanley Cup. There is a very fine line in today's NHL from lousy to pretender to contender. If we get the goaltending next year from Kos or someone else, we'll be a playoff team and though Tippett may get a lot of the accolades for that (if this all comes to pass) it will be the goaltending that pushes us over the top. Nothing else.

And though you want us to be 'held back' (and trust me, I am) you are much more 'pessimistic' about all this. Some of us are just 'optimistic' but I think all of us are definitely in a wait and see mode.

Reactions: MessierII

Limeyjim

Jan 4, 2017
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I hope Tippett does well with the Oilers. I'm actually a Flyers fan, and I wanted Tippett to become the Flyers HC, before they signed Alain Vigneault. I just hope Tippett doesn't make a mistake like hiring Dave Hakstol to be an assistant coach. Hakstol would be a disaster, he doesn't belong in the NHL at all!

cobra427

May 6, 2012
But look at their team Space - what makes you think they were a good team? What I remember is his teams always played well and with structure. One thing his teams never were was poorly coached. How has Arizona done since Tippett left? And why was Tippett fired? Was he fired because he was a bad coach -no. Was he fired because the game passed him by? No. He was fired because John Chayka took over as GM - what do GM's do? They hire THEIR people - and a coach is the #1 in your face position that a GM will replace when hired. Happens all the time.

We still have holes on our roster that needs fixed - and no matter what Holland does to plug the holes, and no matter how well Tippett coaches - if we get the same goaltending that we've received from Talbot and Kos since our last playoff season then we're hooped anyway. Just look at St.Louis - dead last Jan 2, they get a good goalie in Binnington, team in front gains confidence and wham, they are two games from a Stanley Cup. There is a very fine line in today's NHL from lousy to pretender to contender. If we get the goaltending next year from Kos or someone else, we'll be a playoff team and though Tippett may get a lot of the accolades for that (if this all comes to pass) it will be the goaltending that pushes us over the top. Nothing else.

And though you want us to be 'held back' (and trust me, I am) you are much more 'pessimistic' about all this. Some of us are just 'optimistic' but I think all of us are definitely in a wait and see mode.
Tip was not fired, they parted ways, it was mutual. Tip said it was time for a change. I am not sure he was enamored with Barroway or how they handled Doan's departure. With the buyout an what Barroway had to pay Tip, plus what he is paying Tocc, Barroway came out paying less money for coaches. I am pretty sure if Tip took a job within 2 years, he would not continue to get paid his buyout, that is partly why he waited to take a new gig coaching, and he enjoyed his Seattle consulting role.

Reactions: SavesFromKosko

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
Tip was not fired, they parted ways, it was mutual. Tip said it was time for a change. I am not sure he was enamored with Barroway or how they handled Doan's departure. With the buyout an what Barroway had to pay Tip, plus what he is paying Tocc, Barroway came out paying less money for coaches. I am pretty sure if Tip took a job within 2 years, he would not continue to get paid his buyout, that is partly why he waited to take a new gig coaching, and he enjoyed his Seattle consulting role.

Oh good to know! And I do know he was being paid. I just find it funny how many people are critizing the move. I do get the caution, don't get me wrong. Heck, I'm still cautious after my Euphoria of us signing PC then hiring TM a few years back - I learned another hard lesson. But I'd say I'm cautiously optimistic not cautiously pessimetic. Now if Sean Burke say was hired as our GM, and Todd Nelson was hired as our coach, I would have been the latter for sure.

NinjaKick

life as a leafs fan
Dec 5, 2018
Toronto
I think the Oilers are going to be a completely different team under the duo of Holland/Tippet
love the baby steps they have taken so far in such a short period of time

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
This is a good article. Digs beneath the surface a little regarding Tippett and his coaching....

Tippett Talks Coaching, Golfing, The Stache and Slick Soccer Skills

When your team has the puck, it’s more freelance. You’ve got to support the puck, you’re not going to be in a certain spot. There are controlled breakouts and things like that where you want to have, where there’s patterns. Things like that, but a lot of what I look for is playing without the puck and how you play as five on the ice or if you’re a power play or a penalty kill accordingly, but how the five guys play together.
And it’s funny how when you watch it close…one guy’s positioning, if he’s out of sync it really can make the other four out of sync. It makes a crack in what you’re trying to do. So I’m a big believer in when you have the puck you have five guys play together well and if your goaltender gives you a solid game, you can really defend well.
So it’s when you talk about system stuff, it’s about doing the right stuff without the puck and then you give yourself the chance to get it back again quickly and protect your goaltender.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->