GDT: Ken Holland Press Conference (Dave Tippett officially named head coach - 11am MT - May 28, 2019)

dhawken

Jul 6, 2006
Michigan
That's just speculation on your part. Also I don't really care how much effort they put as long as they're good at their jobs.

Not much we can do about it but hope for the best, but you're right - that is pure speculation. For all we know, less effort was expended this time around!

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
Dude lol chill out. I'm just concerned because Tippett's reputation and his last 5 years in Arizona were absolutely TRASH. I like how he gets credit for taking a "bad team to the playoffs", but escapes all blame for missing hte playoffs for 5 years straight. This is the same double standard I've seen in this place for the past 3 years. All these excuses were given to Chiarelli and the people + players he brought in.

Plus I said "time will tell", aka I'm waiting to see the on ice results. What I hate the most is how fans will try to spin every trade/hire/transaction as a positive one. The majority here have already spun up the narrative that Tippett's the best thing since sliced bread. Would it kill you guys to be a bit more held back lol.

Tampa and NYI got swept in the first round are we talking about those coaches being trash?

I get Arizona was trash but I don't think that fall squarely on Tippett as much as ownership and management and talent. Every coach gets tuned out eventually.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Tampa and NYI got swept in the first round are we talking about those coaches being trash?

I get Arizona was trash but I don't think that fall squarely on Tippett as much as ownership and management and talent. Every coach gets tuned out eventually.

*Pitt

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Few things about that video. First, I sure miss Rexall, even though it was a dump. Second, it sucks that the Stars still won that game. Third, Ferarro must have really hated Patrik Stefan as a teammate lol

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There was a definite drop off in Phoenix, but it's also somewhat understandable when you consider Shane Doan was getting on in age and his production was going down and ownership couldn't spend money.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
He's not wrong about that poster though. It's the same posts every time.

There are posters who are constantly miserable but on the other side, there are posters who constantly berate those who are miserable.
People should be allowed to be negative without being told how to feel no matter who misguided the negativity might seem just as much as those who are constantly positive should be positive without being told that they are fanboys are whatnot.
It's ok to disagree with somebody but it's not ok to ridicule somebody constantly for taking a particular stance.

I disagree. If someone is negative for the stupidest reasons (like someone’s body language during a press conference) it 100% deserves ridicule.

Reactions: Wretched Oil

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Funny that Dave Tippett was also coach for one of the biggest blunders in NHL history lolol

I will never forget Stoll and Hemmer on that play. Even the motions of Stoll moving his stick and body after the pass.

Wasn't that also the game that Mick MeGough screwed us in OT?

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He's not wrong about that poster though. It's the same posts every time.

There are posters who are constantly miserable but on the other side, there are posters who constantly berate those who are miserable.
People should be allowed to be negative without being told how to feel no matter who misguided the negativity might seem just as much as those who are constantly positive should be positive without being told that they are fanboys are whatnot.
It's ok to disagree with somebody but it's not ok to ridicule somebody constantly for taking a particular stance.

There is a simple solution.
I have a few posters on ignore. Not posters I disagree with...disagreeing is absolutely fine.
I save the ignore list for posters who continuously try to impose their never ending negative disposition on to the board. And those posters who like nothing more than to goad.
Makes the board a much more enjoyable place to interact. :nod:

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
He's going to have to get more out of the blueline, Larsson, Klefbom, Nurse all need to take further steps in their games or at least get closer back to 16-17 versions of themselves in Larsson-Klefbom's cases. Sekera too.

Offensively he's going to need to let McDavid and Draisaitl still do what they do but check a bit tighter.

It's on Holland to find some winger scoring for the RNH second line. Not much Tippett can do there if there's no help brought in.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I will never forget Stoll and Hemmer on that play. Even the motions of Stoll moving his stick and body after the pass.

Wasn't that also the game that Mick MeGough screwed us in OT?
I think your thinking of the Horcoff hand pass. Didnt fans start littering the ice after that debacle?

Reactions: joestevens29

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
There is a simple solution.
I have a few posters on ignore. Not posters I disagree with...disageeing is absolutely fine.
I save the ignore list for posters who continuously try to impose their never ending negative disposition on to the board. And those posters who like nothing more than to goad.
Makes the board a much more enjoyable place to interact. :nod:

Testing testing. Are you ignoring me? ;)

Reactions: guymez

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I believe Horc won a face off and Hemsky scored. Then he called the goal off saying it was a hand pass, which I didn’t see at all in the replays.
Yes, that’s what happened. It was late in the third period and would have sent the game to overtime. It was late in the season and the Oilers were a point or two outside of the playoffs. That’s what made it worse. The referee in question was one of the worst of his era known for terrible calls and his theatrics when making them. He skated around the ice frantically waving his arms to call the goal off, looking like a jack ass in the process. Likely to convince himself more than anybody else as to what he thought he saw. That pissed everyone off even more. It wasn’t, however, the same game where Stefan missed that empty net.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
Yes, that’s what happened. It was late in the third period and would have sent the game to overtime. It was late in the season and the Oilers were a point or two outside of the playoffs. That’s what made it worse. The referee in question was one of the worst of his era known for terrible calls and his theatrics when making them. He skated around the ice frantically waving his arms to call the goal off, looking like a jack ass in the process. Likely to convince himself more than anybody else as to what he thought he saw. That pissed everyone off even more. It wasn’t, however, the same game where Stefan missed that empty net.

Reactions: rboomercat90

KMart27

Jun 9, 2013

The hand pass game was November 3 and the Stefan miss was January 4. Both in the 2006-2007 season.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
The hand pass game was November 3 and the Stefan miss was January 4. Both in the 2006-2007 season.
I knew they weren’t the same game. I guess I was wrong about it being late in the season. If it was the 2006-7 season it couldn’t have been late because Smitty was still there. I was still right about everything else though.;)

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Dude lol chill out. I'm just concerned because Tippett's reputation and his last 5 years in Arizona were absolutely TRASH. I like how he gets credit for taking a "bad team to the playoffs", but escapes all blame for missing hte playoffs for 5 years straight. This is the same double standard I've seen in this place for the past 3 years. All these excuses were given to Chiarelli and the people + players he brought in.

Plus I said "time will tell", aka I'm waiting to see the on ice results. What I hate the most is how fans will try to spin every trade/hire/transaction as a positive one. The majority here have already spun up the narrative that Tippett's the best thing since sliced bread. Would it kill you guys to be a bit more held back lol.
Tips reputation in Phoenix wasn't trash the last 5 years. He took the basic same roster TGO had and made the playoffs 3 years in a row. He had a 28 point improvement the first year. The coyotes had no money and no talent the last 4 years he was there, trying to get blood our of a stone. Even though they missed the playoffs, they didn't under achieve given the roster. They have had a better roster the last 2 years but have missed the playoffs anyway with Tocc at the helm. Tip is perfect for an under achieving team like the Oilers, they will be much better.

Reactions: WIOiler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad