Player Discussion Keith Yandle: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I'm not saying that at all. Just rehashing what's been one of the prevailing arguments around here for the last year when it came to possibly re-signing Yandle. Anecdotal and nothing more. I simply don't think he's worth what I expect him to ask for.
Yeah, I thought I was expanding on your point.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
If you're using the price paid to acquire a player in a trade to justify paying his free agent price, you're doing it wrong. I think the Flyers did this with Denis Gauthier and Andrew MacDonald.

If I felt the Rangers were better than I think they are, I would definitely be pushing to sign Yandle. I don't think they are better than I think they are, though.

Do you support taking a step back for draft pick reasons, or do you just not expect the Rangers to realistically contend while Yandle is still in his prime?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Do you support taking a step back for draft pick reasons, or do you just not expect the Rangers to realistically contend while Yandle is still in his prime?
I think whenever you're signing a player to a 6-7 year deal, you should expect him to be overpaid at the end of it, so you better think that he'll significantly improve your chances at some silver early in the contract. I don't think that's the case, which has everything to the Rangers and nothing to do with him.

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
I think whenever you're signing a player to a 6-7 year deal, you should expect him to be overpaid at the end of it, so you better think that he'll significantly improve your chances at some silver early in the contract. I don't think that's the case, which has everything to the Rangers and nothing to do with him.

Very good point. In Keith's case, I wouldn't be as concerned because I think his playing style lends itself itself to aging better, but it is definitely up in the air whether or not we'll be legitimate contenders before he reaches the point of being considered overpaid.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
In Keith's case, I wouldn't be as concerned because I think his playing style lends itself itself to aging better, but it is definitely up in the air whether or not we'll be legitimate contenders before he reaches the point of being considered overpaid.
That argument has never really borne out. Finesse players age as well. And 36, 37, 38 year olds are just that.

Contenders or not, the contract for a player who to me is far is not nearly as good defensively as some of his peers who will be making the same salary, cannot be prohibitive. And the contract that Yandle signs will become prohibitive cap-wise. He is going to want legit 1st pairing money. And unfortunately, that is not who he is. At least not to me. I believe that top pairing defensemen should be able to play well in all situations.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
That argument has never really borne out. Finesse players age as well. And 36, 37, 38 year olds are just that.

Contenders or not, the contract for a player who to me is far is not nearly as good defensively as some of his peers who will be making the same salary, cannot be prohibitive. And the contract that Yandle signs will become prohibitive cap-wise. He is going to want legit 1st pairing money. And unfortunately, that is not who he is. At least not to me. I believe that top pairing defensemen should be able to play well in all situations.

unfortunately i agree with you...it is not like yandle will be taking a discount to come back and play for us. If he wants anything more then 6 mil a year you let him sign elsewhere

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
unfortunately i agree with you...it is not like yandle will be taking a discount to come back and play for us. If he wants anything more then 6 mil a year you let him sign elsewhere
If you cannot move two of Girardi, Staal & Nash and take no salary back, you cannot afford him even at $6.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Agreed. Yes, they gave up a boat load to acquire him, but I think it's better to just bite the bullet and let him move on. Very good offensive defender, but I'm not really interested in giving a 30 year old a 7 or 8 year deal.

7 or 8 year deal would be bad, I agree but I really like Yandle as a player. He's just a type of D-man this team never seems to be able to conjure up. I agree that you don't break the bank but I can easily envision posting on here for the next ten years about how we need a PMD. I'm not ready to give that crown to Skjei yet.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
I let Yandle walk. I think that's the right thing to do even if the Rangers buy out Girardi. I have an issue giving a 30-year-old a long-term contract. I understand the arguments for giving Yandle a long term contract. I don't have a major disagreement with the mindset that it's the right thing to do. I think the Rangers will take a step backwards next year and I think a retool/rebuild is here or near. Yandle will require a contract with restrictions (NTC or NMC) and the Rangers aren't in a position to give that contract out, not this time around.

Jersey Girl

Sep 28, 2008
He had a great season but let him walk - this would be a classic rangers signing - overpayment.

Totally agree. Don't want to be on these boards in 2-3 years trying to acquire/hold onto a player we want to keep, but can't fit under the cap because a declining Yandle still has 3-4 years left on a large contract with an NMC.

At some point the insanity of doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result has to change.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
7 or 8 years is a complete non starter for me. 5-6 years then it depends on $ amount. I don't see him taking anything less than 5 years unless it's a significant overpayment.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Have to agree that even on a shorter term, Yandle's best years will be the Rangers worst for the duration, so it's really not a smart signing.

I mean if management thinks they can get this team back to a competitive level as early as next season, okay, but does anyone honestly believe that's even possible?

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Have to agree that even on a shorter term, Yandle's best years will be the Rangers worst for the duration, so it's really not a smart signing.

I mean if management thinks they can get this team back to a competitive level as early as next season, okay, but does anyone honestly believe that's even possible?

I think they can be competitive. Cup favorite? No, but I don't see why they can't be a playoff team again assuming the right moves being made.

On the flip side, wrong moves are made and they probably shouldn't even bother taking the ice this season. It can go either way since the offseason is so wide open in terms of what they may do.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd give Yandle 5 or 6 years at $6M AAV.

Nothing more or else it could hurt the cap
Can you explain how that does not hurt the cap? How can they fit him in now?

Or have you already jettisoned Girardi, Nash, Staal somewhere and not taken back salary?

The cap will also be hurt as you try to replace Krieder/Hayes/Miller.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Can you explain how that does not hurt the cap? How can they fit him in now?

Or have you already jettisoned Girardi, Nash, Staal somewhere and not taken back salary?

The cap will also be hurt as you try to replace Krieder/Hayes/Miller.

Yes, I'm projecting that 2/3 would be gone. Even with some retained salary, it would work.

Besides, is it wrong to speculate and say "I'd like X player on Y deal" in any case?

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Based on his comments today, he is definitely exploring the UFA market. Someone will throw 7M at him.

Of course he's going to explore the UFA market. His agent would love for Yandle to get a bigger contract somewhere else.

Yandle also reeeeeeeally enjoys it with the Rangers based on his comments during the interviews.

Plenty of time to look/talk with teams, as well as plenty of time to discuss things with Gorton (and probably AV).

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Of course he's going to explore the UFA market. His agent would love for Yandle to get a bigger contract somewhere else.

Yandle also reeeeeeeally enjoys it with the Rangers based on his comments during the interviews.

Plenty of time to look/talk with teams, as well as plenty of time to discuss things with Gorton (and probably AV).

Once a player hits the market, it is very rare that he ends up re-signing with the team he was on. Not completely out of the question, but rare.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Really would like to see him play with mcilrath going forward but like mentioned someone will throw 6.5/7 million at him for 6 years and that's probably a bit too much for us to go for

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad