Player Discussion Keith Yandle: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
Yandle just put up 40+ assists, first time we had that production since Leetch. And that was with mostly 3rd pairing minutes and 2nd pp unit. Put up a bunch of points on PP once he got on the first pp unit, another piece missing from prior years. You have to make every attempt to sign him to a reasonable offer $5.75x6 would be a steal. $6.25x5 seem reasonable if the anchor's are moved. More would be hard to fit though.

Staal, Girardi, Boyle, were all on a clear decline when we signed/resigned them. Those were all bad decisions because the stats were really clear and obvious yet management put up the money. They let Stralman walk for god knows what reason and he signed for less than Girardi.

They need to be bold in retooling this team. Move Staal, Boyle (given), Girardi and that's $15.5 mil saved, or possibly retain $2-3 mil to help move them. Look to move Nash and that's another $7.8, Glass $1.45 and Moore $1.5. That's $26.25 mil that could be cut if you're bold and proactive leaving room for Yandle at a reasonable hit.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Yandle just put up 40+ assists, first time we had that production since Leetch. And that was with mostly 3rd pairing minutes and 2nd pp unit. Put up a bunch of points on PP once he got on the first pp unit, another piece missing from prior years. You have to make every attempt to sign him to a reasonable offer $5.75x6 would be a steal. $6.25x5 seem reasonable if the anchor's are moved. More would be hard to fit though.

Staal, Girardi, Boyle, were all on a clear decline when we signed/resigned them. Those were all bad decisions because the stats were really clear and obvious yet management put up the money. They let Stralman walk for god knows what reason and he signed for less than Girardi.

They need to be bold in retooling this team. Move Staal, Boyle (given), Girardi and that's $15.5 mil saved, or possibly retain $2-3 mil to help move them. Look to move Nash and that's another $7.8, Glass $1.45 and Moore $1.5. That's $26.25 mil that could be cut if you're bold and proactive leaving room for Yandle at a reasonable hit.

3rd pairing minutes?

He averaged 27 less seconds of ice time a game than the #2 dman...Klein. He also average the most PP time a game among all defensemen.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Agreed, but moving those contracts won't be easy. On the other hand, this is a league where David Clarkson was traded for the corpse of Nathan Horton.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
3rd pairing minutes?

He averaged 27 less seconds of ice time a game than the #2 dman...Klein.

I think part of the issue is that his even strength minutes weren't where you'd want them to be, it'd be nice if he was a more standard 2nd defenseman behind McDonagh. But I haven't checked his icetime stuff recently

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
3rd pairing minutes?

He averaged 27 less seconds of ice time a game than the #2 dman...Klein. He also average the most PP time a game among all defensemen.
It depends how you look at it. His toi caught up because of the pp time he got mid season forward. 5-vs-5 he was being used on the 3rd pair.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I think part of the issue is that his even strength minutes weren't where you'd want them to be, it'd be nice if he was a more standard 2nd defenseman behind McDonagh. But I haven't checked his icetime stuff recently

He started getting used more heavily when McDonagh was out and at the end of the year when AV started to realize Staal wasn't cutting it. Considering where his ice time was at before February along with how much power play time he was getting (basically 30 seconds after the first unit was done), the numbers he put up are pretty damn impressive.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Yeah he put up good points during the regular season blah blah blah and then when things actually counted in the playoffs he had 1 point and was a complete train wreck in his own D zone. He hurt the team far more than helped. Give me a break. Peace out Yandle!

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah he put up good points during the regular season blah blah blah and then when things actually counted in the playoffs he had 1 point and was a complete train wreck in his own D zone. He hurt the team far more than helped. Give me a break. Peace out Yandle!

With this logic, we might as well get rid of everyone, since they all their fair share of being horrible in our own end that series.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
With this logic, we might as well get rid of everyone, since they all their fair share of being horrible in our own end that series.

Disagree..His contract and his play have nothing to do with anyone else.

This is the guy that wants big bucks therefore he's the one that's supposed to be a difference maker and also one that needs to set the example starting in his own D zone.

He fails miserably at the latter..

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah he put up good points during the regular season blah blah blah
I think I get why you don't like him. You never have good points.

giphy.gif

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

I take it you forgot about last season when Yandle played well and put up 11 points in 19 games with a +7.

If you want to get rid of Yandle cause he played bad in this round, then you have to get rid of essentially the whole team...:laugh:

I trust Gorton, and he'll bring Yandle back anyway.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
I take it you forgot about last season when Yandle played well and put up 11 points in 19 games with a +7.

If you want to get rid of Yandle cause he played bad in this round, then you have to get rid of essentially the whole team...:laugh:

I trust Gorton, and he'll bring Yandle back anyway.

Here we go with the "blame the whole team" for Yandle's sh**ty play in his own zone stuff :shakehead

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
No one's saying he didn't play bad, but to act like it was just Yandle himself is hilarious...:laugh:

Not sure why the laugh gif but how many GAA while he was ******* around on the blueline this series? His primary job <DEFENCE> along with his price tag is laughable at best and any team that entertains giving him a contract on his demands will without a doubt regret it..

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Not sure why the laugh gif but how many GAA while he was ******* around on the blueline this series? His primary job <DEFENCE> along with his price tag is laughable at best and any team that entertains giving him a contract on his demands will without a doubt regret it..

Yeah, because one bad series means he's all of a sudden a terrible defender...:laugh:

Yandle will get paid as he should, hopefully with us. Hopefully next season he isn't on the 3rd pair like he was for a lot of this year (and still almost put up close to 50 points).

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
How many goals against averages? I suppose two, Lundqvist and Raanta both had goals against averages while Yandle was on the ice.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Yeah, because one bad series means he's all of a sudden a terrible defender...:laugh:

Yandle will get paid as he should, hopefully with us. Hopefully next season he isn't on the 3rd pair like he was for a lot of this year (and still almost put up close to 50 points).

No Yandle HAS ALWAYS BEEN A BAD DEFENDER! :laugh:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Not wanting to bring back Yandle based on a small sample size of 5 games in which everyone also sucked...

Yeah...there is no logic there.

NYR

Mar 1, 2002
LI
Not wanting to bring back Yandle based on a small sample size of 5 games in which everyone also sucked...

Yeah...there is no logic there.

A small sample size? He's ALWAYS sucked defensively throughout his entire career. What are you talking about?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
He's not only made some horrific dzone mistakes that cost us games but mistakes that I haven't even seen the worst of rookies make let alone at this stage of his career..
You should try to watch more rookies. They're exciting.

trilobyte

Regulated User
Dec 9, 2008
Calgary, Alberta
I think the Rangers knew what they wanted when they got Yandle. My guess is they got that thing they wanted. Similar to Boyle, the thought was that some offensive push and contribution from the back end is what would tip things in the Rangers favour.
Not to say they have to get rid of him, but where does his contribution to cost (commonly known as value) slot now. Certainly it does not fit in the same slot as it did when he was acquired, and McIlrath and Skjei were just blips on the horizon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad