Player Discussion Keith Yandle: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Forget about analytics, why would they want to add that much salary?

really depends on when they want to compete. if they intend on getting somewhere in the next year or two, they need a guy who is experienced but ready to play.

Also remember that this system that AV employs does not allow guys like Staal to shine.

Girardi on the other hand--he's cooked.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Also remember that this system that AV employs does not allow guys like Staal to shine.
For the most part, I believe that good players are good players. No matter what the system is. Coaches change a lot. But players remain.

Sorry, I am not buying that Carolina will give up an asset to take on Marc Staal's contract and that big brother Eric will somehow rush back and make a troika of Staals.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
So yea..why didn't we trade this guy again at the deadline? Why didn't we get a nice young player and picks? Because we were going to go on a magical playoff run?

Fail.

43% of the posters made the right choice. Too bad Gorton wasn't in that 43%.

bubba5

Aug 2, 2005
Should have never been on this team in the first place for what they paid for him. He is nothing but overrated

Made Dan

Jul 15, 2007
The Bronx, NY
If this is his last game as a Ranger than I would like to say that it was an absolute treat to watch him play. Aside from McDonagh's Norris worthy season, he's been the most exciting defenseman to watch play since Leetch.

However, I will never be able to disassociate him with the contempt I have for for the brain trust of this organization. Glen punted the future just so he could take his best chance to go out on top on a personal level. Yes we went for it. I love the ambition. And we were close, there's no denying that. Of course hindsight is everything, and if we watch a few more breaks maybe we would've been able to upset LA in 2014 (precedes the Yandle deal obviously) but his moves were not in the best interest of the franchise. Yes, we needed an upgrade at 3rd pairing LD because John Moore was inadequate. We got Keith ****ing Yandle. It wasn't necessary, albeit I was pumped to have him and he definitely held up his end of the bargain. Can't fault him for AV's idiocy.

Anyone remember the rumors swirling around when we found out he was New York bound, but the package was up in the air? Girardi's name was floating around. That would've changed a lot of things had it been accurate. We had to pay such a steep price for KY93 because we needed as much salary retained as possible. Had Girardi been in the package (or even better, not extended in which case Stralman could have returned), we wouldn't have had to pay as much. Now, because I think Arizona really prioritized acquiring Duclair probably due to the Domi-ties, I don't think we could've completed the trade without his inclusion, but maybe we could've been able to hold onto one of the picks that we sent their way.

Now, given the grim fate of our team, I am more bullish now about retaining Yandle than I was at the deadline. Big changes are coming. I believe that we will have the space available to bring him back. I was furious (though admittedly, excited) that he wasn't moved at the deadline because losing him for nothing will be monumentally detrimental for us going forward. IF he returns, than I am glad that he wasn't moved. Though I will concede that he had a dreadful series for us, bringing him back should be priority #1 for Gorton and co.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Gave up much too much to get him, did not move him at the absolute height of his value and now will loose him for nothing. Quite the linear.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Quite the linear?

Yea we only go in straight lines. Acquire the player. Play the player. Lose the player. We never "cycle back" to recoup assets. Thus - linear.

Here's a graph:
4529ded4f32df219ce7e62149376ebb3.png

As you can see in the second option the cycle repeats. It's more circular.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yea we only go in straight lines. Acquire the player. Play the player. Lose the player. We never "cycle back" to recoup assets. Thus - linear.

As you can see in the second option the cycle repeats. It's more circular.
OK. I've never seen linear used as a noun before.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
The Rangers are going to have to do some transactional gymnastics to keep Yandle. Probably having to mive one of Staal, Girardi, Nash.
I will believe it when I see it. They're all at their lowest-ever value so not a good situation.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Yandle was somewhere near bad and horrific this playoff series. It will do nothing to his market value, but the Rangers need to be careful here. He's going to make a lot of money over a lot of years. Just because he's better than Staal and Girardi is not a sufficient reason to open the vault for this 30 year old.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
no points in keeping yandle at this point. trade his rights for a 4th and move on. this team is toast...start over.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Yandle was somewhere near bad and horrific this playoff series. It will do nothing to his market value, but the Rangers need to be careful here. He's going to make a lot of money over a lot of years. Just because he's better than Staal and Girardi is not a sufficient reason to open the vault for this 30 year old.

I actually agree with you and I like Yandle. But, the Rangers cannot keep making the same mistakes and expecting different results.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
At the time of the deadline the Rangers were playing pretty well. The reason they didn't trade Yandle is pretty much the same reason they traded for Eric Staal. They thought the team was heating up and they thought they could win the Stanley Cup.

When considering things done/not done in the past it's best to understand why they were done at the time and not just look at it from the present.

So Eric Staal floundered here and both he and Yandle were awful against Pittsburgh in the playoffs. From the Rangers perspective that wasn't the way the script was supposed to read. They misjudged--they especially misjudged Eric Staal's ability to make a difference. The Rangers overestimated the team they had and how far it would go. I don't blame Gorton for doing what he did. At the deadline I thought Eric Staal----ehhhhh! but also thought maybe it will work out.

It's possible that the Rangers could trade Yandle before free agency for something. It's not something the Rangers have done in the past but other teams have.

I like what Yandle brings as far as offense from the blueline. I don't like how he defends. He's no Subban, Doughty, Keith who are all not only great offensively but at least very good defending. Yandle is not a guy I would break the bank for.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I actually agree with you and I like Yandle. But, the Rangers cannot keep making the same mistakes and expecting different results.

I'd be pretty confident saying they can actually make the same or similar mistakes over and over again and will continue to expect different results. :cry:

Maybe not with Yandle, but them picking out some 30-31 year old to sign for too long for too much does not seem unlikely to me.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..

Agreed. Yes, they gave up a boat load to acquire him, but I think it's better to just bite the bullet and let him move on. Very good offensive defender, but I'm not really interested in giving a 30 year old a 7 or 8 year deal.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Agreed. Yes, they gave up a boat load to acquire him, but I think it's better to just bite the bullet and let him move on. Very good offensive defender, but I'm not really interested in giving a 30 year old a 7 or 8 year deal.
If you're using the price paid to acquire a player in a trade to justify paying his free agent price, you're doing it wrong. I think the Flyers did this with Denis Gauthier and Andrew MacDonald.

If I felt the Rangers were better than I think they are, I would definitely be pushing to sign Yandle. I don't think they are better than I think they are, though.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
If you're using the price paid to acquire a player in a trade to justify paying his free agent price, you're doing it wrong. I think the Flyers did this with Denis Gauthier and Andrew MacDonald.

If I felt the Rangers were better than I think they are, I would definitely be pushing to sign Yandle. I don't think they are better than I think they are, though.

I'm not saying that at all. Just rehashing what's been one of the prevailing arguments around here for the last year when it came to possibly re-signing Yandle. Anecdotal and nothing more. I simply don't think he's worth what I expect him to ask for.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Losing a player in free agency is better than overpaying him. That's almost like a hometown premium for a guy if you overpay.

Rangers hardly have cap room to retain or get players they really want. Let's imagine Yandle would sign for the Rangers for 6m a year. Could the Rangers do better and spend that money elsewhere to help their team?

It's a dilemma for all teams. But the Rangers truly have cap problems and cap problems for years because some guys and their contracts cannot be moved.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad