Confirmed with Link: Keegan Lowe re-signed for 2 years

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Same here. And you know if Ace and I (plus a bunch of other notorious Chia-haters) have no issue with this, maybe those posters who are pissed off about this should take a step back and think about why they're so mad.

Yes, Lowe was inexcusably bad for the organization as POHO. No, that doesn't mean his kid is a bad AHL player, jeez. Keegan isn't an exciting prospect at this point but he definitely adds some younger veteran guidance and stability for our prospects down in Bakersfield.

And, to be honest, if our worst fears are true and Lowe is still significantly part of hockey operations in some way, maybe he can provide our better prospects some guidance on how to handle his crazy dad!

Exactly, there is other things to rake Chiarelli over the coals for, but this isnt one of them. But this type of outrage predated Chiarelli when fans were getting upset we drafted Dillon Simpson. I do get the problem with nepotism, but these moves are so, so, so minor, and kids of NHLer do find NHL jobs. This is a AHL depth signing and one that was earned. I also give Chiarelli the benefit of the doubt when it comes to low key, depth signings

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Keegan is a proven, servicable AHL defenseman/like 11th defenseman and is making the kind of money associated with that player.

I'm unconcerned about nepotism here.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
If Keegan Lowe was the best defenceman in Bako, that just speaks to how horrific our defensive pipeline is. The answer is giving our prospects more time, not signing AHL lifers. This is why this team never develops anyone. Instead of letting our own prospects grow, that time is given to no futures.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
If Keegan Lowe was the best defenceman in Bako, that just speaks to how horrific our defensive pipeline is. The answer is giving our prospects more time, not signing AHL lifers. This is why this team never develops anyone. Instead of letting our own prospects grow, that time is given to no futures.

It seems like a bad idea to run an entire d-line of only young prospects. Every single AHL team in the league is a mixture of AHL vets and prospects. From the games I saw, Lowe was a very good AHL player and a steady presence.

Our best two d-man prospects in the AHL (Bear and Jones) were given plenty of opportunity and plenty of chances to adapt to the AHL so I'm not sure what you mean about not giving them more time. By having a guy like Lowe, these kids can adapt to one of the best leagues in the world. It's a huge jump from junior to the AHL and easing them in by giving more minutes to vets is a good idea.

Do you have a counter as to why you think Lowe is such a bad AHL defenseman?

Last edited:

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
It seems like a bad idea to run an entire d-line of only young prospects. Every single AHL team in the league is a mixture of AHL vets and prospects. From the games I saw, Lowe was a very good AHL player and a steady presence.

Our best two d-man prospects in the AHL (Bear and Jones) were given plenty of opportunity and plenty of chances to adapt to the AHL so I'm not sure what you mean about not giving them more time. By having a guy like Lowe, these kids can adapt to one of the best leagues in the world. It's a huge jump from junior to the AHL and easing them in by giving more minutes to vets is a good idea.

Do you have a counter as in why you think Lowe is such a bad AHL defenseman?
If I remember right Jones and Bear were the top pairing to start the year. Jones played awful and had a team worst +/- by a good margin so his minutes got cut to a level he could manage and he improves as the year went on. Bear started good, got injured, came back and looked decent but again he is a right shot where as Jones and Lowe are lefties

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
They started the year giving Jones lots of play time, it sure worked out for him, was on pace to break the record for +/-

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Seems like the only issue that you have is that he is Kevin Lowe's son. The fact that he is a very good AHL level Dman doesn't seem to matter. Seems petty.

The issue is they should have signed someone better.

The Oilers don't need a guy that struggles to crack the top 100 best defencemen in the AHL list. Hire a guy that is a legit first pairing AHL defenceman to give cover to the kids down there. Or a guy that is capable of filling in at the NHL level.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The issue is they should have signed someone better.

The Oilers don't need a guy that struggles to crack the top 100 best defencemen in the AHL list. Hire a guy that is a legit first pairing AHL defenceman to give cover to the kids down there. Or a guy that is capable of filling in at the NHL level.

How did you determine your list of 100 best AHL Dmen?

JetsOilersfan

Feb 4, 2012
why waste a spot on our 50 man reserve list for him is my question--even at the AHL level he is a fringe player

he should be on an AHL only deal

LOL - what a funny post. So what are you saying here - we should sign FIFTY NHL players? You do realize you need vet players on your farm to help the kids right? And once you figured that out - tell me who else we could have gotten? Go ahead - I'll wait here

PositiveCashFlow

Snowmen fall to earth unassembled
Jul 10, 2007
Let’s assume for a moment his last name is something else, say, “Von Matterhorn” instead of “Lowe”.

Is this still such a bad signing?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
How did you determine your list of 100 best AHL Dmen?

Well he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for the last farm team he was with the season before last one. He was also a health scratch at times with the Checkers before being traded.

Oilers should have found a top pairing AHL d-man to help their team that isn't good enough. Someone that can carry the play and take the pressure off the kids.

Do you think Keegan Lowe is a top pairing AHL defenceman?

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Atleast from reading this thread, if the oilers season is a failure, it's probably gonna be cause they signed Keegan Lowe to a 2 year deal.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Well he was a healthy scratch in the playoffs for the last farm team he was with the season before last one. He was also a health scratch at times with the Checkers before being traded.

Oilers should have found a top pairing AHL d-man to help their team that isn't good enough. Someone that can carry the play and take the pressure off the kids.

Then tell us who is better then Keegan Lowe.What I saw form the kid was he was an okey defencemen .

It a minor contract nothing more.Which AHL player should they signed honestly keegan lowe is just a hockey player with a famous dad on our team .

Are you man that Dilion Simpson is on our team ..Are you the same guy who hated that we pick Frank Musil kid over Boom Jenner.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Then tell us who is better then Keegan Lowe.What I saw form the kid was he was an okey defencemen .

It a minor contract nothing more.Which AHL player should they signed honestly keegan lowe is just a hockey player with a famous dad on our team .

Are you man that Dilion Simpson is on our team ..Are you the same guy who hated that we pick Frank Musil kid over Boom Jenner.

There are tonnes of guys out there better than Keegan Lowe.

And yeah, I am kind of upset that the Oilers keep acquiring the sons of former Oilers. It shows that they aren't necessarily interested in finding the best personnel.

Same thing when they rehire cronies like Mactavish and Howson.

Every move like this shows to me that they are more interested in running their old boys country club, than being a big boy organization that is truly committed to winning.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
There are tonnes of guys out there better than Keegan Lowe.

And yeah, I am kind of upset that the Oilers keep acquiring the sons of former Oilers. It shows that they aren't necessarily interested in finding the best personnel.

Same thing when they rehire cronies like Mactavish and Howson.

Every move like this shows to me that they are more interested in running their old boys country club, than being a big boy organization that is truly committed to winning.
But who,he might be good and that why they singed him.agin both all those players are good player.

Enough of the OBC conspiracy crude.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

Well, he played for the Condors last season so what relevance does his time with the Checkers have?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Keegan was on gregor's show only caught the end of it, but sounds like he is hiring a skills coach and skating coach this summer. Skills coach was brought up by Gregor and then he said skating coach as well as you need to continue to get faster every year.

From what Struds was saying sounds like Keegan is a good veteran that knows his role and is good with the kids as well .Could be part of the reason they didn't look for a guy that may be more skilled, but a guy they know already fits. Especially after PC talked about losing that leadership in the NHL.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Even though I do not think much at all of Kevin Lowe, Keegan Lowe was one of the few oil kings that I wanted us to draft as opposed to all of the slugs we did draft. I'm fine with this signing.

Reactions: MoneyGuy

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Even though I do not think much at all of Kevin Lowe, Keegan Lowe was one of the few oil kings that I wanted us to draft as opposed to all of the slugs we did draft. I'm fine with this signing.
I guess it worked out better not drafting him. By now he would be gone if we would've drafted him.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

He wasn't a healthy scratch two years ago in the playoffs. But if that's your made up facts for made up criteria for him not being a top 100 AHL Dman then good for you. Now I noticed you've changed it to top pairing, top 100 doesn't mean top pairing.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
He was the best Dman on our AHL club. He will be in the AHL at worst for another 7-8 years easy.

People only hating this because of the last name, inoring how good he was there last year are just plain foolish.

So were using up spots on what you deem career AHLers at best? Think we have a difference of opinion. IMO only reason for the AHL team to even exist is to develop full time roster Oilers.

I dont want to see 28 year olds getting 27 minutes a night while Boqvist/Hughes rides the pine.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
So were using up spots on what you deem career AHLers at best? Think we have a difference of opinion. IMO only reason for the AHL team to even exist is to develop full time roster Oilers.

I dont want to see 28 year olds getting 27 minutes a night while Boqvist/Hughes rides the pine.
And guys like Lowe help you develop full time Oilers.

Reactions: nabob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad