Confirmed with Link: Keegan Lowe re-signed for 2 years

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It's kinda funny that after years of watching young dmen struggle after being injected to the top pair without vets to insulate them with the big club that some posters don't seem to think that the same thing happens at the AHL level.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's kinda funny that after years of watching young dmen struggle after being injected to the top pair without vets to insulate them with the big club that some posters don't seem to think that the same thing happens at the AHL level.
Come on man. How can struggling at the AHL level hurt a guy?

Reactions: ulyssesjoyce

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
So were using up spots on what you deem career AHLers at best? Think we have a difference of opinion. IMO only reason for the AHL team to even exist is to develop full time roster Oilers.

I dont want to see 28 year olds getting 27 minutes a night while Boqvist/Hughes rides the pine.

To develop full time roster Oilers you need solid vets to shelter and guide them. There are also rules in the AHL about vet/rookie ratio that you don't seem to understand.

The jump from junior to AHL is a big one. Especially for Dmen. Every young Dman making that transition was brutal last year, even Bear struggled mightily and was only called up because the Oilers were finished and it was a nice PR/human interest story.

Dohilers

Dec 18, 2011
BC
I don't hate the signing. I know some people are still hurting in the buttocks region about things his Dad did in the GM's chair, but the kid's a decent AHLer deserving of a gig somewhere. He's certainly no NHL regular, but if he can be a good veteran in Bakersfield and occasional serviceable call-up, it'll help the team in the long run.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
To develop full time roster Oilers you need solid vets to shelter and guide them. There are also rules in the AHL about vet/rookie ratio that you don't seem to understand.

The jump from junior to AHL is a big one. Especially for Dmen. Every young Dman making that transition was brutal last year, even Bear struggled mightily and was only called up because the Oilers were finished and it was a nice PR/human interest story.

I'm not suggesting to I've a team full of 20 year olds. I'm saying you admit he's a career AHL player. Bear got more opportunities in sheltered minutes in Edmonton than he got in the AHL.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I'm not suggesting to I've a team full of 20 year olds. I'm saying you admit he's a career AHL player. Bear got more opportunities in sheltered minutes in Edmonton than he got in the AHL.

You weren't paying attention to Bako at all if you think that's true.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards

Where did I ever say that Lowe wasn't a career AHL player. He's a very solid vet capable of playing on the top pairing in the AHL and a great option to call up as an emergency #7/8 Dman at the NHL level.

Bear stunk to start the season in the AHL, then as soon as his game started to come around he got hurt. Then right after he returned to the lineup he was called up because the Oilers season was done. If you want to bring up Bear, then he is an excellent example of why you need solid vets like Lowe in the AHL to shelter young Dmen when they struggle, like Bear and Jones both did. It makes zero sense to be upset about this signing, unless the thing you're upset about is his last name. Which in that case it is even more stupid to be upset about the signing.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
He wasn't a healthy scratch two years ago in the playoffs. But if that's your made up facts for made up criteria for him not being a top 100 AHL Dman then good for you. Now I noticed you've changed it to top pairing, top 100 doesn't mean top pairing.

You going to make the arguement that he's the 75th best defenceman in the AHL like that makes it a better signing?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

I have a problem with the NHL side of his contract--not the ahl side side of the contract

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I have a problem with the NHL side of his contract--not the ahl side side of the contract
He showed last year that he can hold his own at the NHL level in a pinch. I have zero issues having him on an NHL deal, if you end up having 3 of your top 6 hurt he can come up and play.

You're way to concerned about the 50 contract limit. The Oilers managed to dump Greg Chase's contract during the year last year for absolutely nothing and open up a spot. Being at 47/48/ contracts is not going to be a sticking point for any potential moves, there's always another move that can be made to accommodate.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He showed last year that he can hold his own at the NHL level in a pinch. I have zero issues having him on an NHL deal, if you end up having 3 of your top 6 hurt he can come up and play.

You're way to concerned about the 50 contract limit. The Oilers managed to dump Greg Chase's contract during the year last year for absolutely nothing and open up a spot. Being at 47/48/ contracts is not going to be a sticking point for any potential moves, there's always another move that can be made to accommodate.
Other teams will take on a contract to make a deal go through. Happens all the time. Didn't Toronto a couple years make a 5 for 1 deal?

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Other teams will take on a contract to make a deal go through. Happens all the time. Didn't Toronto a couple years make a 5 for 1 deal?
Yup exactly. If the Oilers are in a position to add a rental player next season but are at 49/50 contracts they just have to have the other team take back Eric Gryba/Mitch Callahan/Ryan Stanton/Brad Malone. No team is going to turn down that trade just because they have to take on a player for their farm team for the remainder of the season.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
You going to make the arguement that he's the 75th best defenceman in the AHL like that makes it a better signing?
I never said that. I'm making the argument that he is a good veteran defenseman at the AHL level and that players like him are very valuable, especially in seasons like last year when the young kids fall flat on their face. You're the one making up all these top 100 or top 75 numbers that really don't have any meaning, especially considering you don't know more than the top 10-20 anyway. You're just sitting there being mad because his last name is Lowe...for days like you have nothing better to care about.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I never said that. I'm making the argument that he is a good veteran defenseman at the AHL level and that players like him are very valuable, especially in seasons like last year when the young kids fall flat on their face. You're the one making up all these top 100 or top 75 numbers that really don't have any meaning, especially considering you don't know more than the top 10-20 anyway. You're just sitting there being mad because his last name is Lowe...for days like you have nothing better to care about.

Players like him are a dime a dozen. You're not a valuable veteran when you're not a difference maker at the AHL level.

They could have easily signed a guy like Adam Clendening that is miles better at the AHL level and also has NHL experience.

And you're damn right I'm mad. The Oilers have been the laughing stock of the NHL for over a decade and followed up their one season of success by falling flat on their faces again.

Then they continue to make the same kinds of poor decisions that they have been making which made them the worst team for the last ten years, and everyone is just supposed to smile and nod and hope this time will be different despite the team operating in the exact same way it always has?

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Players like him are a dime a dozen. You're not a valuable veteran when you're not a difference maker at the AHL level.

They could have easily signed a guy like Adam Clendening that is miles better at the AHL level and also has NHL experience.

And you're damn right I'm mad. The Oilers have been the laughing stock of the NHL for over a decade and followed up their one season of success by falling flat on their faces again.

Then they continue to make the same kinds of poor decisions that they have been making which made them the worst team for the last ten years, and everyone is just supposed to smile and nod and hope this time will be different despite the team operating in the exact same way it always has?

How much of Keegan Lowe did you see last year to know if he was a difference maker or not?

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
How much of Keegan Lowe did you see last year to know if he was a difference maker or not?

Some games. He didn't really stand out in any of them.

Looked like he didn't belong at the NHL level at all either.

Look forward to him being hired as a scout in 3 years.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
Some games. He didn't really stand out in any of them.

Looked like he didn't belong at the NHL level at all either.

Look forward to him being hired as a scout in 3 years.

I feel you have not seen very much ,just shouting because of his last name.Also he maybe or maybe not going to be a scout but that is assumptions that is going way to far.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
I feel you have not seen very much ,just shouting because of his last name.Also he maybe or maybe not going to be a scout but that is assumptions that is going way to far.

That's funny. I feel you haven't seen very much of him and just tacitly accept everything this org does no matter what.

Assumptions are fun.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
That's funny. I feel you haven't seen very much of him and just tacitly accept everything this org does no matter what.

Assumptions are fun.

Oh and you have ,it as minor league player who might play some games in the NHL and will be use mostly as a AHL player.

It a minor league player if it helps our kids develop then I am fine with it.

Enough,he got it because of his play on the Ice.Scouts see more games the your little few.

His name is not the reason why he got the contract.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Oh and you have ,it as minor league player who might play some games in the NHL and will be use mostly as a AHL player.

It a minor league player if it helps our kids develop then I am fine with it.

Enough,he got it because of his play on the Ice.Scouts see more games the your little few.

His name is not the reason why he got the contract.

His name is very likely part of the reason he got his contract. Other NHL teams didn't want him.

You only get to dress 6 AHL vets per game. I would spend them on better players than Lowe.

Kagomeboy

HF board regular Otaku
Mar 7, 2017
Coquitlam
His name is very likely part of the reason he got his contract. Other NHL teams didn't want him.

You only get to dress 6 AHL vets per game. I would spend them on better players than Lowe.
Who is better then Lowe ,he got it because he was good player not because of his name.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Who is better then Lowe ,he got it because he was good player not because of his name.

Zach Redmond. TJ Brennan.

Then you have borderline NHL defenders like Martin Marincin or Brandon Davidson.

There's probably a hundred more. The list is too long to make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad