News Article: Karlsson trade is the gift that keeps on giving for rebuilding Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens

Jan 7, 2016
Unless the Sharks have a Conn Smyth winning trophy winner in their system, not going to happen.

I don’t know why people are surprised by the Sharks falling off, Edmonton had McJesus and Draisiatal and were brutal. Sharks are your classic rebuild on the fly from an organization that was good for long they fell into believing they just could add a couple of high end players and keep it rolling.

EK is a classic slow starter, and when he’s going his teams win, he might be the best 2nd half player in the nhl - but still don’t think it’s enough to avoid a bottom 10 finish

They might
Josef Korenar Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com

Reactions: Tuna99

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
November is a make or break month for SJ. Easy schedule loaded with home games. So far they are 2-2. I still say best case for them is 6th in division and 10th in conference.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Elliotte Friedman was talking about this again on NHL network radio so I though I'd post the link to something that was written a couple years ago. Things aren't looking good for an SJ comeback but as was stated above, I can see some sort of a recovery to the point where they won’t finish in the top 5.

How NHL team playoff hopes start to die in November - Sportsnet.ca

One thing to pay attention to is the Sharks penalty killing percentages. Right now they have the highest PIM/GP at 12:39. They have taken 72 minor penalties and only 2 bench minors. They lead the league in pk% at 91.2% which seems difficult to sustain. Their home pk% is 96.8% and their road pk% is 86.5%.

If they keep taking so many penalties and their pk percentage drops down a bit that could add to their struggles.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Last 5 games, EK has 5 points and is a +4.
Sens media just can't control themselves...lol. First this article, then the DJ is the greatest coach ever article, followed by an 8-2 loss. Nice work!

Dorion/Melnyk couldn't just wait until December to push for all these fluff pieces could they?

Obviously we all knew that the Sharks weren't as bad as they were playing, but it definitely got the EK hate ramped up. He is what he is, an all-world offensive defenceman playing in front of awful goaltending. The goaltending was never going to continue to be as bad as it was to start the season and if it does, then we got ourselves a lottery pick. The pick would be because of crappy goaltending, not because Erik is selfish and doesn't like to practice.

I am still not sure that the Sharks roster is still even good enough to make the playoffs, but the EK hits can probably stop.

Last edited:

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
Sens media just can't control themselves...lol. First this article, then the DJ is the greatest coach ever article. Nice work!

What a terrible, selfish player that Karlsson is, imagine having to have to build around him :sarcasm:

The media couldn't just wait until December for all these fluff pieces could they?
The smarter ones realize that an early jab is the only one they are likely to get in to push their agenda, so they strike while the iron is hot.

It was exactly the same thing to start last year when the Sens were hot and Sharks were cold before both teams inevitably showed their true colours.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The good news is that they still need to leapfrog two teams in the pacific and two teams in the Central to land a playoff spot,

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
That's why you don't watch the standings before the trade deadline. The stress of following where that SJ first rounder is going to land will kill ya.

No point in watching.....unless you have telekinetic powers and can make the Shark player fall over the blue line every time they try to carry the puck. In that case, do that Carrie White thing and let 'em have it.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
What do you mean, "you people"? ;-)
tumblr_lm8drmAf1Y1qa44bco1_500.gif

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
If we end up with pick 15-20 out of this deal, that will be pretty good, especially if Josh Norris turns into the solid second line centre he is currently trending towards becoming. Take Norris, the coming first rounder, plus solid contributors like Demelo, Tierney and Balcers, and we did pretty well. It has helped us re-stock our organizational depth. If we land an elite player with our own first rounder, the SJ pick is just icing on the cake.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Guys, we are good. There is no jinx from a simple article, the events of the universe will play out as they need to, what most people refer to as "jinx" and "coincidence" I perceive as signs and patterns that are predictive of future events. This article was "predictive" of San Jose going on a run, not a jinx. They may even go on to win the cup, but that was going to happen regardless of whether or not this article was written.

Be it as it may, I made my position clear many posts ago (maybe in another thread) that this trade is still a win. Lots of assets gained, they in turn can be used to bring in more assets or included in deals to improve on assets.

I simply do not believe Karlsson with that contract was going to make the current team that much better, I reckon we would place near or right where we currently are in the standings thus far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad