News Article: Karlsson trade is the gift that keeps on giving for rebuilding Senators

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I reckon we would place near or right where we currently are in the standings thus far.

Not really gonna get too deep in to this debate, but...

With this current Sens roster, you are absolutely right, there really isn't anything Karlsson could do, BUT....when you include Mark Stone, Matt Duchene, Zibbyy and build around them properly, you have the makings of a pretty solid lineup....the sky was the limit and Dorion blew it.

Reactions: Cosmix

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa

With this current Sens roster, you are absolutely right, there really isn't anything Karlsson could do, BUT....when you include Mark Stone, Matt Duchene, Zibbyy and build around them properly, you have the makings of a pretty solid lineup....the sky was the limit and Dorion blew it.

I don’t think Dorion blew it. It started with Hoffman and after that Melnyk force a rebuild to save some Dollars. Easy to blame PD but I don’t think it’s is fault.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Remember at the beginning of the years SJ won 4 in a row after they went back losing i don’t think they have the depth to keep winning.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa

I knew that would come up and I do not disagree. I have made my stance clear in previous discussions that this entire "re-build" was unnecessary and strictly financially driven. Now that it has happened and we have no choice but to accept it and move on, I am comfortable in the fact the Karlsson trade turned out a lot better than I had anticipated; 3 NHL players, an above average young prospect (former 1st round pick) and the biggest piece of all, a 2020 1st round pick that even if it lands in the 20-31 range could still be a home-run if Dorion makes the right pick.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I don’t think Dorion blew it. It started with Hoffman and after that Melnyk force a rebuild to save some Dollars. Easy to blame PD but I don’t think it’s is fault.
I do partially agree with you, but I am pretty sure that it didn't start with Hoffman, I think it started by Dorion not building on what we already had. The Hoffman/Karlsson fiasco was unfortunate, but according to Dorion, that didn't happen until the Sens were already pretty close to rock bottom.

I have a feeling though that Melnyk may have given a bit of a green light to add after the cup run, unfortunately, Dorion added the wrong pieces (Thompson, Oduya), then got excited about Duchene, moved Turris, which potentially disrupted the room, then things snowballed very very badly for the organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
Reason EK is doing good and the boys will rally:
Screenshot_20191113-141001.png

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
EK now has 6 points and is a +7 in his last 6 games.

15 in 19 and heating up in all aspects of his game.

Reactions: Sens

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Notoriously slow starter dealing with off-ice issues turning it around was always the more likely outcome than him being toast. That's not to say he's the same guy he was here, but he's still a supremely talented player who will continue to play the part of a #1 defenceman for the next few years at least.

You'd think people would learn to quit burying this guy after "bad" play in a 10-15 game sample size.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
Notoriously slow starter dealing with off-ice issues turning it around was always the more likely outcome than him being toast. That's not to say he's the same guy he was here, but he's still a supremely talented player who will continue to play the part of a #1 defenceman for the next few years at least.

You'd think people would learn to quit burying this guy after "bad" play in a 10-15 game sample size.

Well.. it's almost like their is an element that wants to push the bad narrative. Every year. No wait. Every year since he was traded. It's almost like it's designed to validate the team decision.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Well.. it's almost like their is an element that wants to push the bad narrative. Every year. No wait. Every year since he was traded. It's almost like it's designed to validate the team decision.
Coincidently, Mark Stone and the Vegas Knights are only 2 points ahead of the Sharks and are one of the coldest teams in the league, but no bad narrative coming from anyone. Maybe Mark Stone is a bad teammate?? Dorion has to be a genius to have forseen the decline of Turris, EK AND Mark Stone. (I actually think neither Stone or Karlsson are bad teammates, just following the EK pattern).

Last edited:
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
Coincidently, Mark Stone and the Vegas Knights are only 2 points ahead of the Sharks and are one of the coldest teams in the league, but no bad narrative coming from anyone. Maybe Mark Stone is a bad teammate?? Dorion has to be a genius to have forseen the decline of Turris, EK AND Mark Stone. (I actually think neither Stone or Karlsson are bad teammates, just following the EK pattern).

And he's pointless in 5 straight and yet you wouldn't (necessarily) know it since we don't get the semi daily updates from his "fans".

Reactions: Acidrain66

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison

To his credit, he does look like a Disney villain.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wanted EK traded pre trade deadline 2018 as I was worried about long term health. I’m still glad it was done. I am however still upset about losing Stone but i don’t blame either for leaving.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

It’s not burying EK it’s the outdated roster Wilson has built. Long term deals to players with a ton of mileage. They aren’t deep enough to withstand 1 or 2 injuries and they won’t be able to keep up the pace when the speed of the game picks up IMO.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Dorion has to be a genius to have forseen the decline of Turris, EK AND Mark Stone. (I actually think neither Stone or Karlsson are bad teammates, just following the EK pattern).

When all of them came up for renewal, the only one I was uncomfortable with was Turris given the term he was looking for.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
[Mod qdp]

I think most Sens fans are pretty reasonable with calling the good moves good and the bad moves bad. It's just that management makes a lot more bad decisions than good. Especially when it comes to big decisions.

Last edited by a moderator:

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
I think most Sens fans are pretty reasonable with calling the good moves good and the bad moves bad. It's just that management makes a lot more bad decisions than good. Especially when it comes to big decisions.
The Anders Nilsson trade was a very good one. Got rid of Pyatt and got a pretty good stop gap goalie out of it.

Reactions: Deku

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
It’s not burying EK it’s the outdated roster Wilson has built. Long term deals to players with a ton of mileage. They aren’t deep enough to withstand 1 or 2 injuries and they won’t be able to keep up the pace when the speed of the game picks up IMO.
Add the fact that Wilson gambled with his goaltending which is hurting them right now too.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Excellent trade. So was Dzingle one. Namestnikov solid as well.
Yes Dzingel trade was too I will admit. Still not so sure about the Namestnikov trade. Too early to tell and I am not a fan of giving up a draft pick during a rebuild for a player with an expiring contract. If Dorion can move him for an equal pick that he gave up then it's a win. Still far too many loses than wins for Dorion, but that for a different thread.

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
EK now has 6 points and is a +7 in his last 6 games.

15 in 19 and heating up in all aspects of his game.
Another point on a goal last night and +1.

7 points and +8 in last 7 games.

He's playing a calm patient game these day (much like he does when playing for Sweden) and is a mainstay on the best PK in the NHL.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->