Rumor: Karlsson to Lightning (Mod warning in OP - READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the rumor is true, the hold up is likely with Yzerman talking to Kucherov, Point and Karlsson on what he has to pay them next year. Taxes are less in Florida so it might be possible for them to sign a AAV that works cause they have more clear take home pay.

However, the cap challenge Yzerman would have next year would be very very very tight. Likely means Johnson and Callahan are gone and even then it's still tight.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If the rumor is true, the hold up is likely with Yzerman talking to Kucherov, Point and Karlsson on what he has to pay them next year. Taxes are less in Florida so it might be possible for them to sign a AAV that works cause they have more clear take home pay.

However, the cap challenge Yzerman would have next year would be very very very tight. Likely means Johnson and Callahan are gone and even then it's still tight.

Reactions: Hockey4Life91

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Everything I’ve read is that’s it’s a done deal but NOTHING discussed about what’s going the over way.

My take? A long term deal has been agreed upon with Karlsson but now Tampa is trying to cheap out on the trade offer, knowing how ruthless Yzerman can be and that Ottawa easily bends over the barrel when it comes to trades.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Everything I’ve read is that’s it’s a done deal but NOTHING discussed about what’s going the over way.

My take? A long term deal has been agreed upon with Karlsson but now Tampa is trying to cheap out on the trade offer, knowing how ruthless Yzerman can be and that Ottawa easily bends over the barrel when it comes to trades.
I hope Ottawa guts Tampa, because they’ll squander it all away anyways.

Reactions: MendelMu

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Believe it or not, Ontario does actually get hit by sun, and does have places where large bodies of water meet the land.
Ya, but the sun gets blocked by all the great big Moose and you can't get near the water because of all the beavers....

Reactions: iSophagus

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017

Eh. TB has 13+ million coming off the cap through UFA next season. Clearing Johnson and Callahan frees up over 10. 23 million is more than enough to cover raises for everyone due unless they ask for the moon.

Danrs112

Oct 19, 2017
Believe it or not, Ontario does actually get hit by sun, and does have places where large bodies of water meet the land.

I grew up on Lake Michigan. Loved it. The sand/beaches are better than the ones in Tampa IMO.....However theyre only usable for 3 months a year for anything other than fishing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Eh. TB has 13+ million coming off the cap through UFA next season. Clearing Johnson and Callahan frees up over 10. 23 million is more than enough to cover raises for everyone due unless they ask for the moon.

11 players signed for next year with $23.2M in cap space. If Callahan is part of the deal, that frees up $5.8m in cap space. So 10 players signed with $29M in cap space. We have to assume the cap grows a bit so lets say it grows $3M. That's 10 players signed with $32M

RFA's: Kucherov, Paquette, Point, Koekkoek, Dotchin
UFA's: Gourde, Andreoff, Conacher, Stralman, Coburn, Giradi

- Karlson: 7 or 8 years at $11M AAV
- Kucherov: 8 years at $10M. One of those years is RFA.
- Point: He has 4 more years of RFA. I think a 2 or 3 year bridge deal at $4.5M (+/-) AAV.

Thats 13 players signed with roughly $6.5M left with 10 more players to sign. Someone has to be moved. Johnson frees up $5M. That would be 12 players signed with $11.5M but 11 players to sign. That's 11 players at $1M each. It's tight! Almost impossible. The hold up on the trade (if true) is likely due to Yzerman talking to Kucherov, Point, and Karlsson on leaving some money on the table to free up a bit of cap space. Taxes are less in Florida so it might just be possible.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Disagree. There's no correlation with where players sign and state/provincial taxes.
There are only so many roster spots, once they are full on all the tax havens, you got to sign somewhere. The correlation would be with "team friendly deals" not number of signings, and it's hard to prove why a player accepts a team friendly deal or not.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
I grew up on Lake Michigan. Loved it. The sand/beaches are better than the ones in Tampa IMO.....However theyre only usable for 3 months a year for anything other than fishing.
Sounds like Lake Ontario. I don’t live there, but I always get a kick out of Toronto’s beach openings.

One will be closed. 2 blocks away they say go in and swim with your mouth open. Like dude, that’s the same water. You’re going to grow a third arm in there

FirstRowUpperDeck

May 20, 2014
Arlington, TX
Can't speak for other Stars fans, but I'd pass on EK, take my chances with Miro, work on improving my top 6 and see where I'm at come trade deadline. As awesome as it would he to have EK in Dallas, and as great as he is, one player isnt going to turn things around in Big D. I've watched too many games where Dallas played a solid 40 minutes, gave up 4 goals in the third and lost, or gave up a couple early and tried to play from behind for 50 minutes. Having a reliable backup goalie in net could earn some more Ws.

Yeah, Stars fans (and others) wanted the best possible deal, just like Sens fans. For the most part, we were reacting to the leaks saying Miro wasn't in the deal, our knowledge of Jim Nill's value seeking, etc. Plus, Miro is the No. 3 prospect, Foote is 59th, so I can see TB giving him up a bit easier than Nill giving up Miro.

In any case, congrats to Dorion and Sens fans. It was a pretty good haul out of a bad situation, which many didn't expect.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

That may be the case or it could be as simple as one of the players in the deal can’t be located and the deal can’t be announced until the players involved all get notified. It could also be that one side or the other wanted to sleep on it before putting pen to paper. Hard to say right now.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
That may be the case or it could be as simple as one of the players in the deal can’t be located and the deal can’t be announced until the players involved all get notified. It could also be that one side or the other wanted to sleep on it before putting pen to paper. Hard to say right now.

Usually, when it takes more than a day for the deal to be announced, it's a deal that falls through and was a rumor. Remember when Lou was aggressively trying to sign Tavares?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah, Stars fans (and others) wanted the best possible deal, just like Sens fans. For the most part, we were reacting to the leaks saying Miro wasn't in the deal, our knowledge of Jim Nill's value seeking, etc. Plus, Miro is the No. 3 prospect, Foote is 59th, so I can see TB giving him up a bit easier than Nill giving up Miro.

In any case, congrats to Dorion and Sens fans. It was a pretty good haul out of a bad situation, which many didn't expect.

What's the haul?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I'm still hoping Dallas is hanging around the water cooler, even if it's just to pick up a forward off Tampa as the third wheel or something.

The only thing standing in the way with Tampa is cap space. They have the pieces to use to get Karlsson and they have the core in place to win a cup. Trading futures is not a problem for them at this stage. Not many can match this circumstance. Most don't want to trade the Grade A prospects or too many 1st round picks. Yzerman adding Karlsson fits but that cap space for next year is a major challenge.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Usually, when it takes more than a day for the deal to be announced, it's a deal that falls through and was a rumor. Remember when Lou was aggressively trying to sign Tavares?

I agree that the longer the rumors drag on the less likely the trade will be completed. Problem could be that the value for a third team to take the cap dumps isn’t there. No one may want Ryan and Callahan for a third and a fourth in which case both OTT and TB would have to add more value to the cap dump part of this.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad