Rumor: Karlsson to Lightning (Mod warning in OP - READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I grew up on Lake Michigan. Loved it. The sand/beaches are better than the ones in Tampa IMO.....However theyre only usable for 3 months a year for anything other than fishing.
I honestly don’t know how much beach time players are getting during the season, anyways.

Devilsfan118

Sing us a song, you're the Schiano man
Jun 11, 2010
NJ
Why would you want Zacha gone ?
Wait until Devils nation wakes up and comes storming in here, but I think Zacha pans out to a 3rd-line guy. Hasn't shown me a thing in his time thus far that indicates he'll put it together.

Not a popular opinion.

Reactions: HoliksGhost

God King Fudge

Championship Swag
Oct 13, 2017
5wnajscpu8811.jpg

frankthetank91

Jul 30, 2011
Man if Tampa gets Karlsson this will be like when the Lakers got Lebron (Leafs getting Tavares) then Golden State countering by adding Cousins to their already stacked team.

Reactions: inthewings

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Sounds like Lake Ontario. I don’t live there, but I always get a kick out of Toronto’s beach openings.

One will be closed. 2 blocks away they say go in and swim with your mouth open. Like dude, that’s the same water. You’re going to grow a third arm in there
Water quality can actually vary a lot from beach to beach. It really depends on how many Canada geese are shitting nearby.

...that's not a joke.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Honestly, if EK is supposedly a so called "generational" type D-man, how would you justify a HUGE piece not going back, the situation in Ottawa aside?

I mean do you move a McDavid or a Crosby for a few prospects? would you trade Point for a so called "generational" talent like McDavid?

I am not saying Karlsson is McDavid, but the tag says he is one of the VERY elite at the position he plays, elite in the sense of the decade, and Point+ doesn't go? Larrson for Hall happened, but Karlsson does not get Braydon Point.

I mean you can't keep every single player

Alfredsson says he's generational. I'll take him saying that over some guy on the internet.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I grew up on Lake Michigan. Loved it. The sand/beaches are better than the ones in Tampa IMO.....However theyre only usable for 3 months a year for anything other than fishing.

That's because the beaches are in Clearwater and a bit further Siesta Key,two of top 5 beaches in the US

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Also, 10M US is a lot more in Ontario than 10M US in the US.

What?

Maybe it translates to more Canadian dollars but after tax and the cost of living disparity (if you've got less than $2000 a month to spend, you might as well get a place in Vaughan or Ajax because at least you'll have space and won't need roommates) it plays in Florida's favor.

VoteForTavares

Jun 29, 2018
GTA
Also, 10M US is a lot more in Ontario than 10M US in the US.
I don't get why people still think this way. $10M USD goes a lot further in the US than it does in Canada. Everything is cheaper in the US after factoring in all the conversion etc., which is why Canadians stock up on goods when they visit the States.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
The only thing standing in the way with Tampa is cap space. They have the pieces to use to get Karlsson and they have the core in place to win a cup. Trading futures is not a problem for them at this stage. Not many can match this circumstance. Most don't want to trade the Grade A prospects or too many 1st round picks. Yzerman adding Karlsson fits but that cap space for next year is a major challenge.

Agreed, which is why I'm hoping Dallas can step in and relieve Yzerman of some of those heavy pricetags going forward.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
What?

Maybe it translates to more Canadian dollars but after tax and the cost of living disparity (if you've got less than $2000 a month to spend, you might as well get a place in Vaughan or Ajax because at least you'll have space and won't need roommates) it plays in Florida's favor.

I think the current exchange is about 1.3 :1. so a 10 million USD contract will net you 13 Million canadian. The taxes probably level that out a bit, for sure. But its not as though living in Tampa is incredibly cheap either for housing, etc.

We're also talking about affording places for people like you or I vs someone who is making 10 million, as well.

JC0720

Jul 5, 2018
I don't get why people still think this way. $10M USD goes a lot further in the US than it does in Canada. Everything is cheaper in the US after factoring in all the conversion etc., which is why Canadians stock up on goods when they visit the States.
Except health care, which EK may need...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Agreed, which is why I'm hoping Dallas can step in and relieve Yzerman of some of those heavy pricetags going forward.

I can't remember so many moving parts in one off season. UFA's in Tavares, JVR, Neal, Stastny, etc. and trades in ROR, Karlsson, Patch, Hoffman, etc. So many GM's have their fingers on so many plans but have to wait for other GM's to finished their plan first.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
So do we think this will happen or is this another Dallas/VGK thing where they say its done but its not done.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Someone needs to be fired out of a cannon if this doesn't end up happening. Who says a trade call is pending when it clearly isn't? Disgraceful.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
I believe all contracts are paid in USD

I believe you are correct, and thats also kind of the point. If youre making 10 million a year USD, and living where $1 US is worth $1.3 Canadian, youre effectively getting a 30% pay raise. Now, the taxes are much higher, etc. but you are making more relative to the local economy. The exchange rate is obviosuly very volatile, as well, so its not something you can bank on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad