Rumor: Karlsson to Lightning (Mod warning in OP - READ IT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
not if they get paid up front like stamkos does check out his bonus money

Not so sure;

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad...cam-newtons-super-bowl-earnings/#7009ed4550a6

Before we get into the numbers, let’s do a quick review of the jock tax rules applied to professional athletes (similar tax rules apply to anyone doing business across state lines, but they are rarely enforced). States tax a player based on their calendar-year income. They apply a duty day calculation which takes the ratio of duty days within the state over total duty days for the year. That ratio is then multiplied by the player’s salary to arrive at a state’s allocable income.
To determine what Newton will pay California on his Super Bowl winnings alone, we will ignore the four 2016 season duty days and pretend they are being played elsewhere. In looking at the seven days Newton will spend in California this week for Super Bowl 50, he will pay the state $101,600 on $102,000 of income should the Panthers be victorious or $101,360 on $51,000 should they lose.

The result: Newton will pay California 99.6% of his Super Bowl earnings if the Panthers win. Losing means his effective tax rate will be a whopping 198.8%. Oh yeah, he will also pay the IRS 40.5% on his earnings.

California doesn't seem to care when you earned the money, it just takes duty days and taxes that percentage of your total income, which presumably would include signing bonuses. Seems messed up to me, perhaps it's been challenged.​

Mugzy97

#StandWitness
Mar 3, 2015
Halifax, NS
So if I got this right Ottawa offered Turris X amount of money and he didnt sign. Turris gets traded and signed for less than X amount in Nashville. Now Ottawa offered Karlsson 10M and got turned down. Rumor goes Karlsson is going to sign just that 10M possibly for Tampa. Question time. What is wrong with Ottawa as a place?
There's nothing wrong with the city.. it's the owner, organization, management, internal cap, higher taxes... Not attractive for a player.

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
HF has become weirdly infatuated with taxes over the last couple years for some reason. The players don't care about taxes like you think.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Please let the this be the day in which the deal gets done, i don't think i can deal with another day of having to keep refreshing the page.
At least it's Friday so I can get something that helps me deal with this and don't have to worry about tomorrow.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
HF has become weirdly infatuated with taxes over the last couple years for some reason. The players don't care about taxes like you think.
They let their CPA take care of that stuff. They do care about money though, and their agent and CPA probably explain in general terms how big of a difference signing with one team or another will mean.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
10M in Florida is a lot more than 10M in Ontario. And it's Florida, it has like, sunshine and beaches and stuff

Don't forget the Gators. One of those suckers scared the hell of out me playing golf there this past March. I was 10' from the lake and he came out at me pretty quick. I think I like my lakes frozen a few months of the year now. At least I can go fishing in the summer in piece.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007

It's a factor because it has a material impact on real money. Of course they want more money...its a benefit non-state taxed teams have. There's no way around that.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
The East will belong to Tampa for the next 5 years if they can make this happen. (Not saying that they will win the East every year, but they will be the team to beat)

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
If this rumor is true... I can't wait to see the pieces being traded. Some of the eastern teams are stacking up! Lightning, Pens, Caps, Leafs. You can bet one of these teams are in the cup finals next year.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Sweeney might need to make a play for EK unless they want to get bounced from the wildcard by TB or TML every year for the foreseeable future .
It's almost guaranteed that Boston will be playing Toronto again this year, too. The top-3 teams in the Atlantic will likely be the same.
Tampa
Toronto/Boston
Boston/Toronto

NextYear67

Averaging over a like per post
Mar 2, 2018
GTA
It's a factor because it has a material impact on real money. Of course they want more money...its a benefit non-state taxed teams have. There's no way around that.
Disagree. There's no correlation with where players sign and state/provincial taxes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Yep. It's like an arms-race.
Any chance Boston is in on anything big?

I don't really know, someone mentioned Panarin a week ago but who knows. Nothing really major news around Boston sadly.

Karlsson- Tampa
Tavares- Toronto
Hoffman- Florida.
Teams around Boston getting better, Bergerons 33y and his prime years are in question right now.

Reactions: Laus723

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
I don't really know, someone mentioned Panarin a week ago but who knows. Nothing really major news around Boston sadly.

Karlsson- Tampa
Tavares- Toronto
Hoffman- Florida.
Teams around Boston getting better, Bergerons 33y and his prime years are in question right now.
Panarin would be a fantastic fit. Price will probably be sky-high though

Crow

May 19, 2014
Can't tell if serious or ??

If Serious
You're absolutely right Chicago is great, don't go south of the loop or west of Wicker park, stay out of Cabrini Green, avoid Englewood and W. Englewood, Washington Park, Fuller,New City,etc etc
Ya Know what Why don't we just write off all of South Chicago to save time?
Or better yet, Don't venture out of the Loop on foot, especially any further West than say Chicago Ave put truthfully somewhere between LaSalle and Chicago Ave, or any further south than say idk 31st.
Of course there are nicer areas too, Forest Glen, Norwood and Beverley I think it is.

I'll admit i don't live in the city, but have visited it enough to make a pretty safe assumption that it is a ****hole. There are worse NHL cities (Detroit, Newark, St. Louis) jump out but it is definitely lower on the list
I don’t want to get into the details about how wrong you are regarding many of the specifics. It sounds like you have some knowledge of Chicago but didn’t spend much time in many of the areas you mentioned. You also don’t seem to know many of the nice areas. Maybe don’t talk about a topic you have so little knowledge about.

More importantly, a millionaire hockey player isn’t going to care about how bad Chicago’s ghettos are. They are numerous and I agree, are a problem. It’s an extremely easy problem to avoid if that’s what you want to do. To write the entire city off is very strange. I’d encourage you to consider why your mind works that way. That’s not an effective way of thinking.

Chicago is huge, a world class city, and Chicago draws great talent from college and international signings for many reasons. Hockey is among the reasons but so is the city itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad