Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Sens offer to EK | Teams given permission to talk extention page 12

Does Melnyk offer EK the same (or better) contract that Due Doughty just agreed to with the Kings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Yes, I understand what the problem is. Can you speak to any of the other questions that I asked?

How many people does this effect in the government?
What percentage of people impacted by the pay issues are Senators ticket buyers?
What about the rest of the paying fanbase, like: teachers, engineers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, tech workers, business owners, etc.?
Who is this team's average ticket buyer? What is their profile?

It's easy to say the Phoenix Pay system is a disaster and it's impacting Sens ticket sales, but unless 100% of the Senators paying fanbase are employed by the GoC I don't understand what's happening with the rest of the potential ticket buyers.

I don't know how to find out what the Senators ticket-buying customer base looks like.

But there are 145,000 federal employees in Ottawa, as of January 2017.

The Ottawa market had 578,900 people in the labour force, 442,300 of which held full-time jobs and 104,400 had part-time jobs.

So depending on how much of that federal employee number is full-time, somewhere between 1/4 and 1/3 of Ottawa workers are federal employees. Wow.

Last edited:

MakeOttawaGreatAgain

Illest guy in town!
Feb 28, 2007
Karlsson is a loyal man. I think he will stay, despite Melnyk and all the trade rumours. He's a proud man, and I think he knows his legacy will be tainted if he switches teams. Everyone little boy wants to be the guy that carries a team to a Stanley Cup. I know Karlsson was a little boy with that dream, because just look at him: Long flowing hair, a beard. He winks and laughs during games. He gets super intense and hates to lose like no one else (ex, Silver Medal comment). He isn't just some guy who plays hockey for a living. He is the living embodiment of a hockey player. This is his team, and I think he's just trying to remind management that the fans love the guys who wear the jerseys far more than those who wear the suits.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
About 20% of the workforce in the national capital region works for the federal government. That’s about 145000 people.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Karlsson is a loyal man. I think he will stay, despite Melnyk and all the trade rumours. He's a proud man, and I think he knows his legacy will be tainted if he switches teams. Everyone little boy wants to be the guy that carries a team to a Stanley Cup. I know Karlsson was a little boy with that dream, because just look at him: Long flowing hair, a beard. He winks and laughs during games. He gets super intense and hates to lose like no one else (ex, Silver Medal comment). He isn't just some guy who plays hockey for a living. He is the living embodiment of a hockey player. This is his team, and I think he's just trying to remind management that the fans love the guys who wear the jerseys far more than those who wear the suits.

He is 1 hundo p gone

Reactions: DanyHeatley

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
he does posses all the qualities you want in hockey player, yet I think we've become that much unappealing that he's thinking of going

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Loyal or not, he saw his idol and father figure leave after a legacy of his own. He didn't even go to a contender, he went to a team arguably worst than Ottawa, lmao.

Karlsson will remain if our management and owner legit swallow their pride and say "EK, we will do everything possible to bring a cup here but you may have to be a bit patient for a year or two."

In a year or two, imo, we will have very strong support cast coming up playing prominent roles in Tkachuk, Batherson, White, Brown, Jaros etc... Stone and Duchene should be hitting their peak, respectively.

How many times is Karlsson going to skate off the bench when Zack Smith can't collect his clear cut breakaway pass?

I'll be honest though, anyone who tracked my posts remembered that my hopes for a cup rested on the slim dream of acquiring Tavares. We need one more elite top end talent to complement EK and for us to go on a run. If we can't do that(due to Melnyk not wanting to spend), we should not waste EK's years here and send him off to a team that can.

DanyHeatley

Dec 6, 2016

Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight

Punchbowl

Apr 4, 2010
Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A Golden knight

Fixed that for you.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So we'll hunt him. Because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight
I'd say its the other way around. He's not the hero we deserve but the one we need.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
You know, I always hear this used as a major excuse but I've never had anyone breakdown the numbers for me. How many people does this effect in the government? What percentage of people impacted by the pay issues are Senators ticket buyers?

What about the rest of the paying fanbase, like: teachers, engineers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, tech workers, business owners, etc.?

The Sens have never had a high season ticket base. It's been a struggle year after year to engage 10,000 ticket package buyers. The last couple of years might be considered outliers as the owner continues to create distance between himself and paying fans but apart from that the same issues have always been around. This is still a fanbase that has always valued selling their tickets on our biggest rivalry nights and allowing Toronto and Montreal fans to pack our arena than attend the game themselves. All this despite having some of the cheapest tickets in the NHL. So cost isn't a barrier to entry.

I think the easiest excuse is to say Melnyk is the problem without acknowledging that this market's support of the Senators has always been average at best.

Top 10 in attendance for 20 years isn't "average at best."

When 20% of the workforce in the city don't have any trust in their paychecks, it affects a lot of spending. Hell, even retailers like Wal Mart and Loblaws (Real Canadian Superstores) have seen sales flatline over the last two years.

Reactions: SensFactor

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Just hold firm PD......We have no reason to take anything,from teams that are looking for a complete steal

Reactions: Slack

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Top 10 in attendance for 20 years isn't "average at best."

When 20% of the workforce in the city don't have any trust in their paychecks, it affects a lot of spending. Hell, even retailers like Wal Mart and Loblaws (Real Canadian Superstores) have seen sales flatline over the last two years.

Attendance rank by year:

2008-09: 7th
2009-10: 12th
2010-11: 11th
2011-12: 6th
2012-13: 6th
2013-14: 14th
2014-15: 16th
2015-16: 17th
2016-17: 21st
2017-18: 24th

They haven't been close to the top 10 for the last 5 years, will probably be near the bottom this upcoming year and most of their great years were during the giveaway/promotion days when they were handing out free tickets like candy and boosting attendance numbers artificially.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Attendance rank by year:

They haven't been close to the top 10 for the last 5 years, will probably be near the bottom this upcoming year and most of their great years were during the giveaway/promotion days when they were handing out free tickets like candy and boosting attendance numbers artificially.

The overwhelming majority of pro sports teams paper the numbers. The only ones that don't, are the legacy teams. Ottawa has a good fanbase....but even a good fanbase has its limits with team incompetence.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
The overwhelming majority of pro sports teams paper the numbers. The only ones that don't, are the legacy teams. Ottawa has a good fanbase....but even a good fanbase has its limits with team incompetence.
Add in the loss of potential new fans coming onboard ,due to said incompetence..

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Every Federal employee I've talked to, about a dozen of them, has been impacted.

One of my work colleagues left our private company for a federal job this year. He worked there for three months before seeing his first paycheck. And the first paycheck was in the wrong amount, too little. And he can't sign on to the online pay stub system yet.
A friend of mine retired over a year ago and she is still impacted by this. Had to repay them 26k, according to them, yet she’s still waiting for them to fix her T4’s for the last 2 years because they’re not accurate. Plus, now that she’s retired, she gets no syndicate support. She calls every single month, spending an hour on the phone with zero results.

They owe her at least 6k.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
During a period in time when the Leafs are on an upswing with 3-4 true league stars and a ton of excitement, our team is trying to give its star player the bum’s rush out the door.
Which team do you think young kids are going to cheer for? It’s like the Sens are trying to get the next generation of local fans to cheer for the Leafs.
The Sens need to nurture their fan base and do everything to grow it. It’s just so bungled. It just couldn’t be run any worse than it has been.

Last edited:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Yes, I understand what the problem is. Can you speak to any of the other questions that I asked?

How many people does this effect in the government?
What percentage of people impacted by the pay issues are Senators ticket buyers?

It's easy to say the Phoenix Pay system is a disaster and it's impacting Sens ticket sales, but unless 100% of the Senators paying fanbase are employed by the GoC I don't understand what's happening with the rest of the potential ticket buyers.
Perhaps some of us are impacted by the rising cost of living and, unless we skip a few bills a month, we can’t afford NHL tickets. Just a theory.

I’m glad you can though.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A friend of mine retired over a year ago and she is still impacted by this. Had to repay them 26k, according to them, yet she’s still waiting for them to fix her T4’s for the last 2 years because they’re not accurate. Plus, now that she’s retired, she gets no syndicate support. She calls every single month, spending an hour on the phone with zero results.

They owe her at least 6k.
Yep,just got out from under the CRA,s clumsy boot myself...They dont care about any hardship they put anyone under...They just inforce whatever slip of paper is in front of them accurate or not,trained monkeys would likely do a better job

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Attendance rank by year:

Wow - did something happen after the 2012/13 season to alienate the fans?

Anybody have any theories? I'm stumped.

pzeeman

May 15, 2013
Aylmer
Perhaps some of us are impacted by the rising cost of living and, unless we skip a few bills a month, we can’t afford NHL tickets. Just a theory.

I’m glad you can though.
It’s really the uncertainty that affects discretionary spending like going to an NHL game. Even if they haven’t been hit yet, I think there’s an attitude in the PS that it’s just a matter of time. When you can’t be confident you’ll see that deposit in two weeks, you tend to cut back.

I’m absolutely certain that the failed sellout last spring, which really is the root excuse of all the Melnykian moaning for the past year, was directly related to Phoenix. Then on ice performance and off ice drama mixed in during the season last year to create a perfect storm that will almost certainly include moving on from Karlsson.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
They just inforce whatever slip of paper is in front of them accurate or not,trained monkeys would likely do a better job

My T4 was preceded by an email explaining that my T4 might be inaccurate and I should check it myself. If I had all that information myself, why would I need a T4?

My wife has an open file because they haven’t paid her for some OT. When she talked to them, the clerk said “system says we don’t owe you for that so case closed”. My wife was like “that’s sort of an exact description of why there is an open case.”
Idiots.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad