Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Sens offer to EK | Teams given permission to talk extention page 12

Does Melnyk offer EK the same (or better) contract that Due Doughty just agreed to with the Kings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
My T4 was preceded by an email explaining that my T4 might be inaccurate and I should check it myself. If I had all that information myself, why would I need a T4?

My wife has an open file because they haven’t paid her for some OT. When she talked to them, the clerk said “system says we don’t owe you for that so case closed”. My wife was like “that’s sort of an exact description of why there is an open case.”
Idiots.
Yep was ganished for 4 f***en years at 40% of my salary...Even though they owed me more in back child benifits ...I tried to tell them to keep the money and give back the difference,instead they cut me huge checks ,after huge go arounds that cost me thousands....And 4 years of having half a paycheck,they still owe me 8k .....Just plain stupidity,the CRA needs to be burnt to the ground and rebuilt with some competence

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
. This is still a fanbase that has always valued selling their tickets on our biggest rivalry nights and allowing Toronto and Montreal fans to pack our arena than attend the game themselves. All this despite having some of the cheapest tickets in the NHL. So cost isn't a barrier to entry.

I think the easiest excuse is to say Melnyk is the problem without acknowledging that this market's support of the Senators has always been average at best.

Many of them do this, as a way to offset the price of their Season Ticket. They don't pay "face value" for those tickets to begin with, and re-sell them well above the face value ........ lowering their already lower than face value tickets for the remainder of the seasons games they'll attend.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
It’s really the uncertainty that affects discretionary spending like going to an NHL game. Even if they haven’t been hit yet, I think there’s an attitude in the PS that it’s just a matter of time. When you can’t be confident you’ll see that deposit in two weeks, you tend to cut back.

I’m absolutely certain that the failed sellout last spring, which really is the root excuse of all the Melnykian moaning for the past year, was directly related to Phoenix. Then on ice performance and off ice drama mixed in during the season last year to create a perfect storm that will almost certainly include moving on from Karlsson.

That and many other financial life uncertainties. Personally, if and when I have the luxury, extra money, which is not often, I will certainly choose wisely.

Many only take a grasp at life when it hits home. Some, even temporarily. As when things get better, it suddenly becomes selective memory.

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Look the market hasnt grown as much as it should or could have in 26 seasons ...Blaming your customers for not buying your product should tell you one f***en thing....Apparently EM thinks its the other way around

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yes, I understand what the problem is. Can you speak to any of the other questions that I asked?

How many people does this effect in the government?
What percentage of people impacted by the pay issues are Senators ticket buyers?
What about the rest of the paying fanbase, like: teachers, engineers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, tech workers, business owners, etc.?
Who is this team's average ticket buyer? What is their profile?

It's easy to say the Phoenix Pay system is a disaster and it's impacting Sens ticket sales, but unless 100% of the Senators paying fanbase are employed by the GoC I don't understand what's happening with the rest of the potential ticket buyers.

The Federal Public service is the largest employer in the Ottawa market place, the same market place that is one of the smallest NHL market places. I've heard the number of 40% of the workforce is employed by the Public Service ...... not sure if that is accurate.

If you can't depend on steady paycheque, you're not going to sign on to be a STH.

Population of the Federal Public Service - Canada.ca

The federal public service's Baby Boomer problem - Macleans.ca

Last edited:

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
Yes, I understand what the problem is. Can you speak to any of the other questions that I asked?

What percentage of people impacted by the pay issues are Senators ticket buyers?
What about the rest of the paying fanbase, like: teachers, engineers, doctors, nurses, lawyers, tech workers, business owners, etc.?

It's easy to say the Phoenix Pay system is a disaster and it's impacting Sens ticket sales, but unless 100% of the Senators paying fanbase are employed by the GoC I don't understand what's happening with the rest of the potential ticket buyers.

In your logic, anyone who really would like to purchase, let’s say, a car. Yet, they can’t afford it, it means they’re not really devoted to buying a car.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
I posted this in the main public thread. It applies here.

Sadly, I've been quietly following this thread full of bad offers and talk of magic beans. EK65 is my favorite player, a generational talent with the skill and vision to drag a mediocre team too within one goal of the SCF.

Last year was a **** show for the Senators, a bad locker room equals a bad team (no matter how much skill you have).

If your team is not willing to trade a premium for this player then your team doesn't deserve him.

I'd rather not trade him, play out his contract in the hopes that PD can fix the locker room and have a decent season in the hopes that EK can be convinced to stay as TB did with Stamkos. We have the prospects to move forward, and some dam good ones that might turn into quality NHL'ers.

I'm no fan of PD, but I don't hate him either. Hopefully he doesn't do anything foolish and shows patience. Hopefully EK sees that the Senators are still his team and decides he want's to stay.

Notice the use of the word hope a couple times.

Thanks for sharing. I get goosebumps each and every single time I watch that run!!!! :)

zman77

Oct 1, 2015
QUDrQkyr_bigger.jpg
Jackson Barrett‏ @Jacksonfromcoq Jul 3

BREAKING NEWS:
Erik Karlsson has been TRADED to the Golden State Warriors.

@SatiarShah
pic.twitter.com/fxNsPHztWB
DhNBmkSVMAA1VJ9.jpg

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
It's funny how Karlsson lob to to Hoffman is one of the most iconic and great Sens moments.

Both out of the team barely a year later.
Everybody's heartbroken over Karlsson, but im still over here crying over Hoffman lol.

We're losing a ton of skill between these two guys on a team that already feels like we don't have nearly enough of it.

Senator Blutarsky

I'll take the NHL for $2,000 Alex
Apr 18, 2007
Ottawa
Wow - did something happen after the 2012/13 season to alienate the fans?

Anybody have any theories? I'm stumped.

My theory is that was around the time there was the tipping point for affordable big screen high def TVs and programming. Now, the at-home experience is better in many ways than the live one for a lot of people.

I think this affects our market disproportionately because of where the CTC is located. People here have money for tickets, but they value their time more, and they don't want to spend it fighting through traffic to and from a game in winter. Not when they can watch the game on a big screen in high def from the convenience of their home.

That's why Lebreton is so important. I think that when (if) that arena is built, it will still sell out regularly even if they raise ticket prices. Thousands more will live and work within walking distance of the venue.

Apologies for going off topic.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa

How do you expect anyone to have the answer to these questions?

The GoC is the number one employer for the area, at 110,000 or something like that.

Population of Ottawa is approx 1M+, so you are looking at 10% of the populations pay being disrupted.

Then you consider that because the GoC pays well, these are the types of people that can afford tickets.

The entire fan base hasn’t disappeared, but the above certainly factors into the 5-6K we are no longer selling tickets to.

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

The GoC is the number one employer for the area, at 110,000 or something like that.

Population of Ottawa is approx 1M+, so you are looking at 10% of the populations pay being disrupted.

Then you consider that because the GoC pays well, these are the types of people that can afford tickets.

The entire fan base hasn’t disappeared, but the above certainly factors into the 5-6K we are no longer selling tickets to.
Please please tell me PD is holding firm,and wont just give up EK...The vultures want him for free,he cant walk away with just some prospects and late picks here

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Lets set a few things straight.
Sure, the POP of Ottawa is about 1 million ....... but that includes children, students and retired people, who are not working.

The actual workforce is much lower than 1 million.

The Federal Pubic service is Ottawa's largest employer, by far, and any problems with their pay system affect a large number of people. The Federal government employs about 150K (today) people in Ottawa, according to Statistics Canada,report in Jan of 2017 ........ and this does not include those who work for the Federal government as contractors.

The number most people agree on is about 40% of the Ottawa workforce either employed by the Federal Pubic service, or work for them as contractors, on term contracts.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
You know, I always hear this used as a major excuse but I've never had anyone breakdown the numbers for me. How many people does this effect in the government? What percentage of people impacted by the pay issues are Senators ticket buyers?

The Sens have never had a high season ticket base. It's been a struggle year after year to engage 10,000 ticket package buyers. The last couple of years might be considered outliers as the owner continues to create distance between himself and paying fans but apart from that the same issues have always been around. This is still a fanbase that has always valued selling their tickets on our biggest rivalry nights and allowing Toronto and Montreal fans to pack our arena than attend the game themselves. All this despite having some of the cheapest tickets in the NHL. So cost isn't a barrier to entry.

I think the easiest excuse is to say Melnyk is the problem without acknowledging that this market's support of the Senators has always been average at best.
I would say these types of professions are in the higher pay grade as opposed to what makes up the average fan. These people should have no issue buying tickets.

darnok

Mar 15, 2014

Most public servants cannot afford season tickets.

SensPerpetualRebuild

Yelnats Puc
Jul 31, 2009
Is it true that the GoC will not buy hockey tickets and prohibits staff from receiving them as gifts?

If that is true, that is a significant disadvantage that will always make the Ottawa market a challenge. Compare that to a similar sized city like Calgary and most of the boxes and the 2 lowest bowls are corporate seats that are used for employees and customer perks. If you were to restrict the energy sector from buying and receiving tickets in Calgary, they would certainly see a dip in attendance.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Is it true that the GoC will not buy hockey tickets and prohibits staff from receiving them as gifts?

If that is true, that is a significant disadvantage that will always make the Ottawa market a challenge. Compare that to a similar sized city like Calgary and most of the boxes and the 2 lowest bowls are corporate seats that are used for employees and customer perks. If you were to restrict the energy sector from buying and receiving tickets in Calgary, they would certainly see a dip in attendance.
Yep that's true. Ottawa probably has the weakest corporate support of any city in the NHL. Hopefully newer places like Shopify can help.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
The overwhelming majority of pro sports teams paper the numbers. The only ones that don't, are the legacy teams. Ottawa has a good fanbase....but even a good fanbase has its limits with team incompetence.

This is such a lame argument. First, the Sens were top 10 in attendance for 20 years and now the majority of pro sports teams paper the numbers. You can't make the argument for both sides at the same time...

Perhaps some of us are impacted by the rising cost of living and, unless we skip a few bills a month, we can’t afford NHL tickets. Just a theory.

I’m glad you can though.

The cost of living goes up every year. It's never been an excuse before.

Many of them do this, as a way to offset the price of their Season Ticket. They don't pay "face value" for those tickets to begin with, and re-sell them well above the face value ........ lowering their already lower than face value tickets for the remainder of the seasons games they'll attend.

It's amazing how it's ok for the fans to make it about the money but never the owner. How does this work again when people say that Ottawa has a great fanbase? We have a great fanbase except when it comes to our most important rivalry nights that have made us a laughing stock of the league since we re-entered.

The Federal Public service is the largest employer in the Ottawa market place, the same market place that is one of the smallest NHL market places. I've heard the number of 40% of the workforce is employed by the Public Service ...... not sure if that is accurate.

If you can't depend on steady paycheque, you're not going to sign on to be a STH.
Population of the Federal Public Service - Canada.ca
The federal public service's Baby Boomer problem - Macleans.ca

So people don't want to support Melnyk or people can't afford to support Melnyk?

In your logic, anyone who really would like to purchase, let’s say, a car. Yet, they can’t afford it, it means they’re not really devoted to buying a car.

Anyone who says that they are a car enthusiast and tell you all the time how much they love cars and spend time reading about cars and watching youtube clips about cars and then spend their money on anything but cars? Hmmm.

I don't know. But the above argument doesn't imply that people won't support Melnyk but that they are unable to because of these circumstances.

Most public servants cannot afford season tickets.

I'm inclined to agree. At least half of the public sector workforce probably has a salary in the 50k range. After tax that's not a ton of leftover money. So maybe we're starting to hit at the heart of the problem in the Ottawa market? That there simply isn't as much financial support as some people have insisted there is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad