Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Sens offer to EK | Teams given permission to talk extention page 12

Does Melnyk offer EK the same (or better) contract that Due Doughty just agreed to with the Kings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Yep that's true. Ottawa probably has the weakest corporate support of any city in the NHL. Hopefully newer places like Shopify can help.

Not probably, they do.

31 teams and OTT has the lowest possible level of corporate support when judged by the NHLs metric.

Ken Warren wrote a good article with info that could be found with a quick google search. I am on mobile otherwise I'd link to it.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
It's funny how Karlsson lob to to Hoffman is one of the most iconic and great Sens moments.

Both out of the team barely a year later.

It hurts to read your post. For me, that playoff run was a special time in my life, I got to watch a lot of games with my son and cheered and hugged with every win.

That run was worth the pain we are going through today.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
“The cost of living goes up every year. It's never been an excuse before.”

I’ve worked in the not for profit sector for nearly 20 years. Trust me, the economy has changed and not for the better.

In an earlier post, you replied to someone regarding how many people are impacted by the Phoenix system, saying that it’s also not an “excuse” and asking them to provide statistics/proof of how many of those affected are in fact Sens/hockey fans. In the same blatant argument, you carry on to say: where are all the lawyers, doctors, nurses, engineers, etc.? Care to share with everyone the statistics/proof on how many of those are Sens/hockey fans?

You really do live in your own bubble. You’d argue to the end to convince someone that they’re just “a little pregnant”.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I’ve worked in the not for profit sector for nearly 20 years. Trust me, the economy has changed and not for the better.

In an earlier post, you replied to someone regarding how many people are impacted by the Phoenix system, saying that it’s also not an “excuse” and asking them to provide statistics/proof of how many of those affected are in fact Sens/hockey fans. In the same blatant argument, you carry on to say: where are all the lawyers, doctors, nurses, engineers, etc.? Care to share with everyone the statistics/proof on how many of those are Sens/hockey fans?

You really do live in your own bubble. You’d argue to the end to convince someone that they’re just “a little pregnant”.

No no. People don't get to pass off guesses as facts and then ask the person who's questioning the veracity of the information to provide information to disprove it.

And I never said that the Phoenix pay system issues were an "excuse". I asked some pretty f***ing simple questions that no one obviously has the answers for in an attempt to show how people are continuously listing all these "excuses" as facts. Why is it that you guys feel you can just say whatever you want to exonerate your side of the argument but any time actual facts are questioned you all become sanctimonious and righteous.

But I live in my own bubble.

Reactions: bcag04 and Ice-Tray

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
It's not that Ottawa has poor support, it's the the support is YOUNG. The franchise started in 1992, people born that year just turned 26. They are just beginning to enter their working/professional stages of their lives where they will start to have disposable income to spend on things like hockey tickets.

What you have now is the fans who finally have money to burn, but are extremely disengaged and do not want to support the owner. It has nothing to do with corporate support, but I do agree that Phoenix has affected support for the team. Melynk has made the choice easy though, I watched less Senators games last season than I had in 10+ years.

Ray Kinsella

Feb 13, 2018
No no. People don't get to pass off guesses as facts and then ask the person who's questioning the veracity of the information to provide information to disprove it.

And I never said that the Phoenix pay system issues were an "excuse". I asked some pretty ****ing simple questions that no one obviously has the answers for in an attempt to show how people are continuously listing all these "excuses" as facts. Why is it that you guys feel you can just say whatever you want to exonerate your side of the argument but any time actual facts are questioned you all become sanctimonious and righteous.

Yes

Reactions: BondraTime

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I noticed this year that I could mostly keep up with gdt’s while watching the game cause there wasn’t as much activity as in better times when each time I refreshed I was falling more and more pages behind and just couldn’t keep up. Interest, as expressed through free postings here, looks to have been down a similar amount to real tickets, perhaps even more. I’m sure Phoenix played a part for real ticket sale drops. That should be the natural order of things for business cycles in sports, for all except a couple of outliers.

Reactions: Anaxagoras

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's funny how Karlsson lob to to Hoffman is one of the most iconic and great Sens moments.

Both out of the team barely a year later.

One time slap pass to Ryan should be more iconic. Game 4 GWG.

starts at 2:30

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

And I never said that the Phoenix pay system issues were an "excuse". I asked some pretty ****ing simple questions that no one obviously has the answers for in an attempt to show how people are continuously listing all these "excuses" as facts. Why is it that you guys feel you can just say whatever you want to exonerate your side of the argument but any time actual facts are questioned you all become sanctimonious and righteous.

FWIW I work at the federal government and the average salary with the new collective bargaining agreement in place is between 88 000 and 89 000 for the department I work for.

Also Phoenix problems are very real but it doesn't affect the ticket sales. You can get salary advances if ever you're missing a pay and most cases are resolved rather quickly (within 48 hours) when it comes to employees not getting paid. The stuff that drags longer is for Acting pays and stuff like that. Often some people get paid more than they should actually.

Last edited:

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
FWIW I work at the federal government and the average salary with the new collective bargaining agreement in place is between 88 000 and 89 000 for the department I work for.

Also Phoenix problems are very real but it doesn't affect the ticket sales. You can get salary advances if ever you're missing a pay and most cases are resolved rather quickly (within 48 hours) when it comes to employees not getting paid. The stuff that drags longer is for Acting pays and stuff like that. Often some people get paid more than they should actually.

It still varies widely. There were no major problems at all in our agency who still retained it's own compensation staff.

Other places like DND actually turned into going shows with no regular pay.

You aren't wrong, acting and special leaves really can do crazy.. friend of ours went on maternity and they just paid her regular salary the whole time.. never even caught up to the change to put her on LWOP. Big time mess for pension contributions etc.

Salary advances are limited to what.. 66% of your regular pay .. I wouldn't be buying any Sens tickets or other discretionary purchases if I was taking a 34% pay cut.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Idk about your department, but where I work the biggest issue is more about faith in the pay, as in nobody has faith. People talk about how they'd refuse advances because they are scared of the problems that could occur as a result of accepting an advance.

It's not so much about not getting paid, or paid too little, it's about being affraid of when the other shoe will drop. There's just no trust in the pay system, and it's hard to commit to major investments when you don't trust your income will always be there.

That all said, I think Pheonix is really a contributing factor, but certainly not something that on it;s own would cause major problems, I've said it before, this is death by 1000 cuts.

Reactions: Boud

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
It still varies widely. There were no major problems at all in our agency who still retained it's own compensation staff.

Other places like DND actually turned into going shows with no regular pay.

You aren't wrong, acting and special leaves really can do crazy.. friend of ours went on maternity and they just paid her regular salary the whole time.. never even caught up to the change to put her on LWOP. Big time mess for pension contributions etc.

Salary advances are limited to what.. 66% of your regular pay .. I wouldn't be buying any Sens tickets or other discretionary purchases if I was taking a 34% pay cut.

Yea that's true for the advances, but if you completely miss your pay it gets resolved asap. I've had the same situation happen to a co-worker who went on mat leave and kept getting paid. She basically got an extra 50K.

I actually agree with Mickle that people have lost faith in the system more than they're not getting paid.

Personally, Phoenix wouldn't stop me from grabbing season tickets. I think if that stops you from buying tickets you probably shouldn't buy them in the first place since you likely cannot afford them.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Ok. If by cold you mean the story that has ignited the hockey world and has gotten most insiders and reporters to cover it nightly.....then yes, it's always been cold.

Not referring to the interest in the story.

Reactions: bert

QuattroFTW

Nov 4, 2009
Ottawa
Not probably, they do.

31 teams and OTT has the lowest possible level of corporate support when judged by the NHLs metric.

Ken Warren wrote a good article with info that could be found with a quick google search. I am on mobile otherwise I'd link to it.
Yeah unfortunately Ottawa's corporate support is brutal. With the loss of corporations like Corel, Nortel, and JDS Uniphase, we have very little big companies with the money to spend. Ottawa needs to do a better job at attracting big companies. Unfortuantely we don't offer much versus places like Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
I'm starting to get worried that Tampa might be the only place Karl will be willing to sign and we're going to get a pile of ****.

But if that's the case, we might as well hold onto him until the deadline and hope for new ownership in the meantime.

I think any team below the 49th that has an above .500 winning % and a progressive state tax that isn't named The Panthers has a decent shot at EK, both to trade and extend.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
I'm starting to get worried that Tampa might be the only place Karl will be willing to sign and we're going to get a pile of ****.

But if that's the case, we might as well hold onto him until the deadline and hope for new ownership in the meantime.

If that deal with Tampa was close and Melnyk insisted Ryan had to be in the deal and that killed it, and now Vegas is the only option, Karlsson's gonna be upset. He and Hedman were likely talking about playing together amd getting excited.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
If that deal with Tampa was close and Melnyk insisted Ryan had to be in the deal and that killed it, and now Vegas is the only option, Karlsson's gonna be upset. He and Hedman were likely talking about playing together amd getting excited.
Karl can just refuse to sign with them and Vegas knows they’d be trading for a rental.

Hopefully he’s opening to signing with Vegas and Dallas as well.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
Karl can just refuse to sign with them and Vegas knows they’d be trading for a rental.

Hopefully he’s opening to signing with Vegas and Dallas as well.

Yup, that’s true too. Then again, maybe he just wants this to be over with and he’d sign with any of Tampa, Vegas or Dallas. If Ryan is in this deal I’m not looking forward to seeing the return.

czechcanadian

Dec 8, 2011
Ottawa
Phoenix pay system is a real problem. If you don’t think so you’re severely uneducated and dilusional.
My fiancée and multiple friends and family work for the government. Every single one is out thousands upon thousands of dollars. Money that could easily and gladly be spent on season tickets.
Disposable income is limited these days for a lot of people and I would say it’s one of the bigger factors as to why we are seeing low ticket sales.
Another reason like mentioned many times before is the location. Landsdowne is good evidence to what a good location can do for a sports franchise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad