Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Sens offer to EK | Teams given permission to talk extention page 12

Does Melnyk offer EK the same (or better) contract that Due Doughty just agreed to with the Kings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
lol no

A team that is desperately trying to get rid of Ryan’s contract when they have like 20 million in cap space isn’t going to offer 11 million to one player.

This team is aiming to operate like an expansion team with a horseshoe up its ass. Elite players getting elite player money isn’t part of the plan.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sureves

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017
From the Sens I think the highest they'll go is $9.5mil/yr. Reasoning: it's more than PK Subban is making but not enough to get him to stick around.
It's a number that gives management and the owner legitimacy (or at least they think it will) to say they gave their best effort but they can spin it on EK not really wanting to stay.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
From the Sens I think the highest they'll go is $9.5mil/yr. Reasoning: it's more than PK Subban is making but not enough to get him to stick around.
It's a number that gives management and the owner legitimacy (or at least they think it will) to say they gave their best effort but they can spin it on EK not really wanting to stay.
The PK comparison holds no merit with the far more comparable player Doughty signing yesterday.

Fans are smart enough to know this.

Last edited:

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
The poll is confusing. Are you asking if they WILL offer EK that, or if they SHOULD?

Will they? Probably not.

SHOULD they? Absolutely.

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
How is this confusing?

Will Melnyk offer that much or won't he?

Like I said in my post that you literally quoted, was the question "is Melnyk going to" or "is this what Melnyk should do", because "Does Melnyk do x thing" can be taken to mean either.

If what you're asking is "will Melnyk offer that much", then no, I don't believe he will. I hope I'm wrong - or that Karlsson is willing to stay for less than that amount - but old uncle Eugene hasn't given me any reason to have faith in him recently.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Yeah, 2 Norrises vs 1, and the only reason he isn't at 4 Norris trophies right now are because of Cooke, and that zombie foot last year.

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
Like I said in my post that you literally quoted, was the question "is Melnyk going to" or "is this what Melnyk should do", because "Does Melnyk do x thing" can be taken to mean either.

If what you're asking is "will Melnyk offer that much", then no, I don't believe he will. I hope I'm wrong - or that Karlsson is willing to stay for less than that amount - but old uncle Eugene hasn't given me any reason to have faith in him recently.
No, sorry.

Does or does not is a straightforward question.

To paraphrase Yoda "Do or Do Not. There is no should" ;)

I cannot be interpreted as should or should not

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Then he'd have 6. Because he was robbed the 2 years before this past season.

They still would've found a way to give Due Boy a Norris. Dude spent way too much time campaigning and begging on medias doorstep not to give him one.

Reactions: Daffy

Countdown0

Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
No, sorry.

Does or does not is a straightforward question.

To paraphrase Yoda "Do or Do Not. There is no should" ;)

I cannot be interpreted as should or should not

Then my prediction is "no". I don't believe that Melnyk will offer EK a fair market value contract, and fair market value for the best d-man in the world is to make him the highest paid, or at least tied for it.

Reactions: Cosmix and Sensung

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
PD's post-trade spin/talking points are gonna be hard to sell if he won't go up to 11.5 AAV. Karlsson can make an easy argument he should be paid more than Doughty.

Reactions: OttawaSenators11

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
I sure hope so. Not doing it will really ruin any chance they have of winning the PR battle if that's where they are going. If they havent traded EK in the next few days, everyone will know he doesnt want to be here meaning the slim chance there might have been of making a good long term trade will vanish. The only way to get get any leverage back would be to sign him.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
yost said they already made EK and offer but the "expectation around the league" is that he'll turn it down

Sensung

Oct 3, 2017
I sure hope so. Not doing it will really ruin any chance they have of winning the PR battle if that's where they are going. If they havent traded EK in the next few days, everyone will know he doesnt want to be here meaning the slim chance there might have been of making a good long term trade will vanish. The only way to get get any leverage back would be to sign him.
EK's camp could leak that he's happy to sign in Ottawa under different ownership...

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
yost said they already made EK and offer but the "expectation around the league" is that he'll turn it down

Yost is an idiot who honestly believed that a disaster player like Weircioch was great.

What the rest of the league thinks about our operation is meaningless: most fans here assume the worst case scenario is a given and that anyone preaching calm is an apologist, why would the rest of the league think otherwise?

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
EK's camp could leak that he's happy to sign in Ottawa under different ownership...
That would be a risky game to play and may or may not actually work in our benefit. But im sure there are many power games going on right now for control of the franchise so that would probably fit right in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad