Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Sens offer to EK | Teams given permission to talk extention page 12

Does Melnyk offer EK the same (or better) contract that Due Doughty just agreed to with the Kings?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Yeah unfortunately Ottawa's corporate support is brutal. With the loss of corporations like Corel, Nortel, and JDS Uniphase, we have very little big companies with the money to spend. Ottawa needs to do a better job at attracting big companies. Unfortuantely we don't offer much versus places like Toronto, Montreal, or Vancouver.

The added trouble with Corporate Boxes, is that visiting Clients may not want to drive half way to Carleton place, to attend a game at the CTC.

I know the Local Company I worked for had their own corporate suite for a few years when the Paladin opened, and then began to share their suite with a couple of other companies, and then downsized again to few seats in the Ledge.

With a re-location to Lebreton Flats, I expect local Companies will buy in, and purchase suites as their clients and or employed will be much more inclined to attend events at the new arena.

Location, location, location!

Reactions: bert

Blotto71

I was wrong...the worst is NOT behind us.
May 12, 2013
Over There
No no. People don't get to pass off guesses as facts and then ask the person who's questioning the veracity of the information to provide information to disprove it.

And I never said that the Phoenix pay system issues were an "excuse". I asked some pretty ****ing simple questions that no one obviously has the answers for in an attempt to show how people are continuously listing all these "excuses" as facts. Why is it that you guys feel you can just say whatever you want to exonerate your side of the argument but any time actual facts are questioned you all become sanctimonious and righteous.

But I live in my own bubble.

You're asking for some pretty tough-to-get "facts"...not sure anyone knows those numbers for certain. Let's do a Fermi estimation!

Number of government employees in Ottawa - 150,000

Number of people that watch hockey every week (and constitute to number that might buy tickets) - 50%

Number of gov't employees that have suffered hardship as a result of Phoenix - 20%

So, 150,000 x 50% x 20%... 15,000 potential ticket purchasers impacted by Phoenix.

Not all of those folk would be Sens fans, but if even 25% are that's nearly 4,000 fans in the city unable to purchase if they wanted to. It also does not account for the other 37,500 employees (and hockey fans) affected by Phoenix.

How many empty seats again in that playoff game?

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Is it a reasonable conclusion to think that losing would actually help attendance though? Yes, attendance has declined but selling off the most marketable asset for $.50 on the dollar isn't good economics. You feed the fan concern about owners commitment to building a winning team. Attendance will surely decline further if we trade Karlsson and don't show signs of a plan for the future. We have fans saying "why would I invest in the team if the owner won't?" and an owner saying "why would I invest in the team if the fans won't?". Call it the Ottawa standoff... but the city & team need a paradigm shift. Something else to focus on, whether it be a rebuild with exciting youth or we keep EK and build around him. Melnyk needs to be less Harold Ballard and more Eddie deBartolo - work WITH the fans, not against them. But a plan needs to be developed and marketed to the fans so we can stop the acrimony with the owner.

PD is in a tough spot, if he can get his price it won't be a "win" but he might be able to move on and the team could still thrive under a different approach. He, seemingly, has to move his franchise player because of his owner, he has the fewest resources in the NHL for pro scouting, he has little to no leverage in negotiations and had to think about what the trade would mean to Stone, Duchene, Dzingle and other players coming into a UFA year. He's clearly not the best poker player at the table, but he's been dealt 2-7 offsuit in this one. At least, so far, he's played his hand well. Dorion's game is draft and develop, I think he'll prove to be a decent player at it - but he's handcuffed by some unfortunate shit off ice. It's a scary situation for us fans.

Edit: that was a reply to mysens, who seems to have deleted his post.

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
You're asking for some pretty tough-to-get "facts"...not sure anyone knows those numbers for certain. Let's do a Fermi estimation!

Number of government employees in Ottawa - 150,000

Number of people that watch hockey every week (and constitute to number that might buy tickets) - 50%

Number of gov't employees that have suffered hardship as a result of Phoenix - 20%

So, 150,000 x 50% x 20%... 15,000 potential ticket purchasers impacted by Phoenix.

Not all of those folk would be Sens fans, but if even 25% are that's nearly 4,000 fans in the city unable to purchase if they wanted to. It also does not account for the other 37,500 employees (and hockey fans) affected by Phoenix.

How many empty seats again in that playoff game?

Pfft if they were real fans they'd float the season tickets on their credit card at 19% until they get paid . Amirite ?

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
I think the eventual trade and our RFA signings will end up putting our actual spending this year just over 58 million in salary. Basically at the cap floor or as close to as possible. That said I'd brace yourselves on what the return is going to be and Vegas is the most likely destination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad