Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
How are we comparing the Leafs to any other market???Its the largest Canadian city....And last time I checked hockey is a very canadian game

I could have used Dallas as an example.

Ottawa's broadcasting rights / Market place is one of the smallest in the NHL, and does not bring in the revenue that the Stars do, becasue they have the broadcast right to the entire State of Texas .........which has a population of 28.7 Million.

To totally dismiss Market size / Population base comparisons between small sized markets, like Ottawa, and (for example) Dallas as comparison for why the larger one can compete much better for UFAs than Ottawa is nonsensical.

nhl-fan-map.jpg

yes, it's an older map, with the Thrashers, but you get the idea how Ottawa's tiny market, makes it hard to compete with the larger ones, Canadian or USA based, for advertising revenue streams (for example)​

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So are you suggesting that Population of a market place has no impact on the revenue streams of a NHL franchise?

If so, can you explain why the Leafs can charge a local broadcast advertiser 10 time the rate the same advertiser would be charged in Ottawa?

I would explain it to you, but you wouldn't understand.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
Then

Ottawa's broadcasting rights / Market place is one of the smallest in the NHL, and does not bring in the revenue that the Stars do, becasue they have the broadcast right to the entire State of Texas .........which has a population of 28.7 Million.

To totally dismiss Market size / Population base comparisons between small sized markets, like Ottawa, and (for example) Dallas as comparison for why the larger one can compete much better for UFAs than Ottawa is nonsensical.

nhl-fan-map.jpg

yes, it's an older map, with the Thrashers, but you get the idea how Ottawa's tiny market, makes it hard to compete with the larger ones, Canadian or USA based, for advertising revenue streams (for example)​

They why do the Sens have such a huge local TV contract?

https://ottawasun.com/2014/01/29/li...tice/wcm/72faec95-3f0c-4354-9139-0c9352b14533

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

nhl-fan-map.jpg

Then why do the Sens have such a huge local TV contract?

WOW! Ottawa Senators TV deal worth up to $400M

Last edited:

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

nhl-fan-map.jpg

Yep, there was always going to be challenges in this market...But its been 26 years of budgets and pie charts....Maybe actually trying to do something else to grow the market,is in order...Wouldnt you say??

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I hope we keep him. But if not, Vegas has the assets i love. Glass and Brannstrom in particular. Suzuki, Theodore, Tuch, etc are also great but i love the first two.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Then

They why do the Sens have such a huge local TV contract?

TV contract, for local broadcast rights, is not the same thing a what an advertiser is willing to pay for their 30 second commercial, or the in Arena advertising.

With such a small market, and therefore fewer eyeballs watching games on TV, Ottawa does not have the luxury of charging as high rates that Dallas (for example) can.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Then why do the Sens have such a huge local TV contract?

Worth "up to" $ 400 M, over 12 seasons .. or "up to' $33.33 M per season.

This is not huge, when compared to other Major leagues.

I remember the LA Lakers local broadcasting rights TV deal is about $200 M USD per season, or $266 M Canadian per season.

In any case, it's not like EM is pocketing 33.33 M per per season, most of it goes to the players as part of HRR, and another chunk goes to pay down operational expenses like equipment, travel costs and such.

33.33 million does not go a long way, with the Cap rising every year along with other expenses.

I don't know why some people seem to think there is buckets of cash flowing into the Franchise, and that someone is cooking the books or something ..... keeping in mind the money recently borrowed to finance the debt.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
[QEP] You can seriously think a population is the same as a market. [QEP].

Okay. Let me hear how you define a market place.

Lets take Dallas, with it's broadcast rights coverage area is held by FOX Sports Southwest, which provides local sports programming to over 10 million television homes in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana and parts of New Mexico...and Ottawa's broadcast rights coverage area of Western Quebec and Eastern Ontario ........ lets say not more than 3 million.

How do you, as a marketer, decide on how much you're able to charge an advertiser to run their commercials during your broadcast?

I would suggest TV rating as a starting point, but you must know something better, right?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Lets take Dallas, with it's broadcast rights coverage area is the entire State of Texas, with a population of about 28 million......... and Ottawa's broadcast rights coverage area of Western Quebec and Eastern Ontario ........ lets say not more than 3 million.

How do you, as a marketer, decide on how much you're able to charge an advertiser to run their commercials during your broadcast?

I would suggest TV rating as a starting point, but you must know something better, right?
The market is the amount of hockey fans. The Ottawa area has more hockey fans than all of Texas.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Glass would be a great pickup for us, I believe he was the reason why Karlsson wasn't traded to Vegas at the deadline. We wanted him but Vegas didn't want to part with him.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
How do you know that?
Well im not a mind reader but I think its more than reasonable to assume there aren't too many people in Texas that think highly of hockey. Go look at the Dallas board as an example. Its usually barely populated and seems decent chunk of its users from Canada.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
TV contract, for local broadcast rights, is not the same thing a what an advertiser is willing to pay for their 30 second commercial, or the in Arena advertising.

With such a small market, and therefore fewer eyeballs watching games on TV, Ottawa does not have the luxury of charging as high rates that Dallas (for example) can.
What are you talking about?

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Well im not a mind reader but I think its more than reasonable to assume there aren't too many people in Texas that think highly of hockey. Go look at the Dallas board as an example. Its usually barely populated and seems decent chunk of its users from Canada.
Lived in Dallas myself, during our Stanley cup final run they cut away from the game in the first period to show the Kentucky derby. Not the race itself and they came back, it was the first 2 hours talking about horses and jockeys....I also coached hockey down there, more than half the kids were either Canadian or had Canadian parents. I don’t remember the exact count but there were about 10-12 rinks in the entire DFW metroplex which is over 10m people. I’m not sure how many rinks we have between Ottawa and Gatineau but I’d wager a guess it’s a lot more than that and our population is a 10th.

That right there shows the difference between population vs market.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

hockey teams don't get tv advertising money. they get a local TV contract. whatever tsn sells ad space for is their business.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown

Lets take Dallas, with it's broadcast rights coverage area is held by FOX Sports Southwest, which provides local sports programming to over 10 million television homes in Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Louisiana and parts of New Mexico...and Ottawa's broadcast rights coverage area of Western Quebec and Eastern Ontario ........ lets say not more than 3 million.

You should probably get your facts straight before getting up all in arms. Ottawa's broadcast region consists of everything east of Ontario and parts of Ontario. That's a population significantly higher than 3 million.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad