Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
It's really shocking how no one as stepped up big time to take Karlsson away from us.

proof that NHL GMs are p***yes, they all talk a big game, but when they have a generational talent in front of them, they cheap out and find ways to defend and overrate their prospects instead of trading them for the sure thing.

Reactions: topshelf15

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
proof that NHL GMs are *****es, they all talk a big game, but when they have a generational talent in front of them, they cheap out and find ways to defend and overrate their prospects instead of trading them for the sure thing.
Yep, and that fails then they leak and spread false BS through the media...But heaven forbid we respond in kind...lol

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I am pulling for Vegas here. They could put together a really good package, probably the best one, and take Bobby Ryan. All without really hurting their organization all that badly. They are also the most likeable of the three teams rumoured to be front runners. I could stomach following Karlsson on Vegas. Karlsson going within the division to Tampa would ruin it for me.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I am pulling for Vegas here. They could put together a really good package, probably the best one, and take Bobby Ryan. All without really hurting their organization all that badly. They are also the most likeable of the three teams rumoured to be front runners. I could stomach following Karlsson on Vegas. Karlsson going within the division to Tampa would ruin it for me.

Yea. They would be such an exciting team to cheer for and they would fit Karlsson's style to a T. They are very skilled with intense work-ethic.

I don't care if we get a good return or bad as long as he goes Vegas. If we get a bad return and he goes TB then there should be a witch-hunt for Dorion.

6stringmofo

Mar 12, 2015
Ottawa

I'm fine with keeping Ryan. Is he overpaid? Yes by about 2 mill but ...

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Maybe they have and Dorion won't accept their offer because the players coming to Ottawa are so good that it's going to cost too much money to sign them to extensions.

Trades like this usually take a while to negotiate. Combine that with complicating factors like our unwillingness to take bad money for assets from a team like Tampa, along with our (supposed) preference to dump our own bad money, and it makes the trade very complicated.

We're hopefully not giving Tampa a discount just because they need to dump cap else where. So for Tampa, they'd have to pay our asking price for Karlsson, and then whatever the asking price a third team has to dump Callahan. That could mean on top of whatever our ask for Karlsson is, they might have to give up a 1st round pick or an additional 1st round tier prospect.

People thinking we can dump Ryan just by "retaining a bit of salary" should look closely at how hard it is for teams to dump salary. There's a reason why the Senators are aiming to include Ryan in a Karlsson trade, and that's because short of trading him for another equally as bad contract, there's rarely a reasonable way to dump a contract like that.

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

Am I the only one that finds it incredibly hard to watch highlights from the 2017 run?

It was hard enough right after the run just due to how heartbreaking the elimination was, but seeing the state of the team now and Karlsson about to take off just amplifies it.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Yea. They would be such an exciting team to cheer for and they would fit Karlsson's style to a T. They are very skilled with intense work-ethic.

I don't care if we get a good return or bad as long as he goes Vegas. If we get a bad return and he goes TB then there should be a witch-hunt for Dorion.

Maybe if he goes to Vegas some friendly well meaning Golden Knights fans can head over to the Tampa board in order to let them know that they are always welcome to climb on to the Vegas bandwagon.

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Am I the only one that finds it incredibly hard to watch highlights from the 2017 run?

It was hard enough right after the run just due to how heartbreaking the elimination was, but seeing the state of the team now and Karlsson about to take off just amplifies it.

Honestly I hate those highlights even though how memorable and awesome they were.

Neiler

Registered Loser
Jul 16, 2006
At this point I just want to see EK sign with us again so I can bathe in the tears of Tampa fans on the trade board.

That Karlsson thread has just become a smug pile of TB fans stroking each other silly and swooning over how awesome they are and how little they'll need to pay for EK as a result.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
People thinking we can dump Ryan just by "retaining a bit of salary" should look closely at how hard it is for teams to dump salary. There's a reason why the Senators are aiming to include Ryan in a Karlsson trade, and that's because short of trading him for another equally as bad contract, there's rarely a reasonable way to dump a contract like that.
Huh? No I was being facetious. I meant that the players coming to Ottawa would be really good players that EM will have to pay. I was joking. Like if Tampa offered Dorion Kucherov, Dorion would have to decline because Kucherov will make a lot of money on his next contract.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
proof that NHL GMs are *****es, they all talk a big game, but when they have a generational talent in front of them, they cheap out and find ways to defend and overrate their prospects instead of trading them for the sure thing.

That is apparently true for ALL GMs including Dorion, but to a lesser extent perhaps?

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Huh? No I was being facetious. I meant that the players coming to Ottawa would be really good players that EM will have to pay. I was joking. Like if Tampa offered Dorion Kucherov, Dorion would have to decline because Kucherov will make a lot of money on his next contract.

I wasn't referring to you or anybody in this thread. Just the general sentiment that comes up whenever Ryan's contract is talked about as a cap dump which is "someone would take him if we retain a little bit" or "just attach x to him to dump him, don't include him with Karlsson".

I think people have unrealistic standards for how hard it is to dump bad contracts, and how impossible it would be for this team to rid itself of Ryan's contract in any other trade that isn't a bad money for bad money swap.

Reactions: Cosmix

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Just think for a moment: you would still get to see Karlsson play games in Ottawa. Not a total loss. I miss seeing Subban play. I am looking forward to the games against the Leafs with Tavares and beating them. I am taking the high road here. And I am not "high" at this moment. :)

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Almost every cent spent on Ryan is a waste. No one wants these players anymore. Big, slow, one dimensional wingers who can't shoot are worthless. He's literally a below replacement level player. You can plug in dozens of AHL players and get better production and fewer turnovers.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Almost every cent spent on Ryan is a waste. No one wants these players anymore. Big, slow, one dimensional wingers who can't shoot are worthless. He's literally a below replacement level player. You can plug in dozens of AHL players and get better production and fewer turnovers.

He is expensive for what he can n ow do; however he is not a scrub and proved it in the playoff run two seasons ago. Yes he is overpaid by about $3M.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad