Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
hockey teams don't get tv advertising money. they get a local TV contract. whatever tsn sells ad space for is their business.

They get the money from the in house advertisers ( on the boards ) that have their ads broadcast during games.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
You should probably get your facts straight before getting up all in arms. Ottawa's broadcast region consists of everything east of Ontario and parts of Ontario. That's a population significantly higher than 3 million.

I was talking about their exclusive market ....... yeah, I know about the Shared market (with Montreal), but that's not exclusive.

Did you not see the Map I posted?

iur

NHL_TV_Markets_medium.jpg

GRAPHIC: NHL Local Markets & New Divisions

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
I was talking about their exclusive market ....... yeah, I know about the Shared market (with Montreal), but that's not exclusive.

Did you not see the Map I posted?

iur

The map you posted is silly and irrelevant.

The Senators exclusive market also includes the Atlantic provinces. Either way, it doesn't matter. TSN is paying for the full region, not just the exclusive parts, The Senators broadcast market is in excess of 10 million people, with a much higher percentage of hockey fans than you'd find in the Dallas Stars broadcast market.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The map you posted is silly and irrelevant.

The Senators exclusive market also includes the Atlantic provinces. Either way, it doesn't matter. TSN is paying for the full region, not just the exclusive parts, The Senators broadcast market is in excess of 10 million people, with a much higher percentage of hockey fans than you'd find in the Dallas Stars broadcast market.

Did you not read the article?

It clearly stated..... "Ottawa and Montreal share a market but are broadcast on different channels. Edmonton and Calgary are both show primarily on Rogers' Sportsnet West. "

GRAPHIC: NHL Local Markets & New Divisions

So no, the Atlantic provinces (total population of 2.33 million) are not an exclusive market for the Senators ......... there's a NHL team located in Montreal, ergo it's a shared market, that both teams agreed to share over 25 years ago when the Senators re-entered the NHL ...... the Senators treid to get the same (shared market) deal with the NHL team in Toronto, but they did not wan any part of it ..... and that's why locally broadcasted Leaf games that used to seen in eastern Ontario prior to the Senators, were no longer being broadcast, in eastern Ontario.

So when the Habs and Sens are playing on the same night, how many Quebeckers and Maritimers do you think are watching the Sens play whomever VS who the Habs are playing?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I don't know what point you're trying to make but your inability to understand my post suggests you should work on your reading comprehension instead of posting on here. Or maybe a logical argument doesn't support what you're trying to say.

The point I've been trying to make, is that Ottawa, with one of the smallest markets in the entire NHL, cannot compete with the bigger Markets, that can offer an UFA, like Tavares, huge signing bonuses.... and all those who are complaining that PD is low balling EK65, or not signing big name Free Agents have to realize the state of our franchise, with the Cap rising each and every year and without the revenue streams that the large NHL market teams enjoy ........ we're now in the last decade of the Montreal Expos phase in regards to the Senators franchise, and no amount of bellyaching, or blaming the owner or GM is going to change that....... the CBA has to be adjusted to level the playing field.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Parts unknown
The point I've been trying to make, is that Ottawa, with one of the smallest markets in the entire NHL, cannot compete with the bigger Markets, that can offer an UFA, like Tavares, huge signing bonuses.... and all those who are complaining that PD is low balling EK65, or not signing big name Free Agents have to realize the state of our franchise, with the Cap rising each and every year and without the revenue streams that the large NHL market teams enjoy ........ we're now in the last decade of the Montreal Expos phase in regards to the Senators franchise, and no amount of bellyaching, or blaming the owner or GM is going to change that....... the CBA has to be adjusted to level the playing field.

Simple question. How does Ottawa rank in terms of local television deals around the league? How many franchises have bigger deals?

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013

The one point you are missing is that many owners of pro sports team are not in it for the "money". And that includes many owners in small markets. They invest in their team knowing full well that they will lose money to ice/field etc. a competitive team. And they are perfectly willing to do so. For them it is about fueling their ego. gaining recognition, power and personal notoriety.
EM should realize that owning a small market team with limited funds that needs to make a profit does not correlate well with winning a championship. If he can't afford to own the team under the present circumstances he should get out now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deku

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
It's gone way too quiet. Maybe Erik and Melinda talked and have had a change of heart. Maybe they want to stay and see this through now. Who knows.

Reactions: Silencio

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Simple question. How does Ottawa rank in terms of local television deals around the league? How many franchises have bigger deals?

When the deal was announced it was 4th biggest if I recall but part of that is because it was the newest.

Hard to find up to date numbers

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
It's gone way too quiet. Maybe Erik and Melinda talked and have had a change of heart. Maybe they want to stay and see this through now. Who knows.
They are staying, EK was just trying to peg what he is worth on the orders of ownership. I think it was a bold move by ownership to allow him to do this, but in the end he "will get what he deserves" or what he is worth on the open market. EK and family are staying.

Daffy

Jun 10, 2010
They are staying, EK was just trying to peg what he is worth on the orders of ownership. I think it was a bold move by ownership to allow him to do this, but in the end he "will get what he deserves" or what he is worth on the open market. EK and family are staying.

Question then.. as I just saw on twitter. Why was some big EK banner just taken down if he's staying?

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

So Karlsson/his agent basically duped other teams into thinking he was leaving?

Reactions: Ray Kinsella

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Ottawa is receiving 33.33 million CDN a year, for their tv deal with TSN.

The "Cap" for 2018-19 is projected to be somewhere between $78 million and $82 million USD, or $102.5 million and $107.7 million CDN.

The windfall from TSN covers less than the Cap floor.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
The one point you are missing is that many owners of pro sports team are not in it for the "money". And that includes many owners in small markets. They invest in their team knowing full well that they will lose money to ice/field etc. a competitive team. And they are perfectly willing to do so. For them it is about fueling their ego. gaining recognition, power and personal notoriety.
EM should realize that owning a small market team with limited funds that needs to make a profit does not correlate well with winning a championship. If he can't afford to own the team under the present circumstances he should get out now.

Can you give me an example, of an Owner of a small market team, that fits the description you give above?

Thanks

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
So Karlsson/his agent basically duped other teams into thinking he was leaving?

He had an opportunity, once PD granted the requested permission, to see how green the grass was on the other side of the fence(s).

He now has an idea of what he is worth, and is probably weighing the value of playing with another team, and maybe winning a Cup vs staying with Ottawa, and probably not winning a Cup, for the rest of his NHL career

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad