Speculation: KARLSSON Megathread | Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
He's gone quiet on the idea now. Leaves lots of unanswered speculation. Lets hope he starts the season with the club and stays when EM see the row upon rows of seats he could add tarps to and decides to sell.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Can you give me an example, of an Owner of a small market team, that fits the description you give above?

Thanks
Sure thing! Jeff Vinik Tampa, John McConnell Columbus , David Thompson Winnipeg, Daryl Katz Edmonton. Need any more? Or how about when Mark Cuban bought the Dallas Mavericks? They were a small market team at the time when he purchased and he paid double what they were worth just so he could own them.

Reactions: Deku

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011
Ottawa is receiving 33.33 million CDN a year, for their tv deal with TSN.

The "Cap" for 2018-19 is projected to be somewhere between $78 million and $82 million USD, or $102.5 million and $107.7 million CDN.

The windfall from TSN covers less than the Cap floor.

TV deals are almost cap floor

400 million TSN Regional deal is 33.3 a year
5.2 billion Sportsnet National deal is 17-20 a year

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
TV deals are almost cap floor

400 million TSN Regional deal is 33.3 a year
5.2 billion Sportsnet National deal is 17-20 a year

Thanks for the addition info.

A couple of questions ........ is that 5.2 Billion USD or CDN dollars?

So is that 5.2 billion, over 12 years, divided by all the NHL teams, or just the Canadian based teams?

Because it's a big difference, divided among the 7 Canadian teams would mean about 14 million a season, or about 62 million a season

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
Ottawa is receiving 33.33 million CDN a year, for their tv deal with TSN.

The "Cap" for 2018-19 is projected to be somewhere between $78 million and $82 million USD, or $102.5 million and $107.7 million CDN.

The windfall from TSN covers less than the Cap floor.

The Sens also receive $6M US per season from the NBC television deal, and approximately $20M from the Sportnet national television deal - so about $60M Canadian per season for television rights alone.

Tkachuk27

Nov 30, 2011

So is that 5.2 billion, over 12 years, divided by all the NHL teams, or just the Canadian based teams?

Because it's a big difference, divided among the 7 Canadian teams would mean about 14 million a season, or about 62 million a season

Not 100% sure on the currency

But all Canadian teams get 5 million a year more than their U.S. counterparts due to invasion fees

Invasion fees compensate the Canadian teams for the local inventory lost to the national TV deals

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON

The $5.2B is in CDN dollars. My understanding is that the Canadian teams receive a bit more per season (approx $20M) than do the american teams.

The Sens receive approximately $60M of revenue per season (CDN) for television rights alone.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Sure thing! Jeff Vinik Tampa, John McConnell Columbus , David Thompson Winnipeg, Daryl Katz Edmonton. Need any more? Or how about when Mark Cuban bought the Dallas Mavericks? They were a small market team at the time when he purchased and he paid double what they were worth just so he could own them.

I'm not going to agree that Tampa, is a small market NHL team ...... it's population base, ranks it 16th in size among all NHL teams, which to me is a mid-sized market.

Columbus is close, ranked 21st in it's population base, but I would argue that they have lower operating costs than Ottawa (25th), seeing how 100% of their revenues come in US dollars, while the revenues sources for Ottawa come in CDN dollars, and a majority of their expenses are in US dollars (pay roll, Travel).

So the best comparison is of course Edmonton (26th) and Winnipeg, which has the lowest population base in the NHL, and have the same challenges that Ottawa has with revenues in CDN dollars and expenses in US dollars.

Edmonton averaged 18,347 in attendance last season, and had an operating income of 24 million, and a Revenue per Fan of $106, if you want to believe Forbes numbers.

Winnipeg averaged 15,321 in attendance last season, and had an operating income of 10 million, and a Revenue per Fan of $115, if you want to believe Forbes numbers.

Ottawa averaged 15,829 in attendance last season, and had an operating income of 10 million, and a Revenue per Fan of only $88, if you want to believe Forbes numbers.

So I guess someone could read a number of things in these (Forbes) numbers ........ such as even with higher attendance in Ottawa, their revenue per fan is $27 lower than Winnipeg .... so does that mean that Winnipeg, with lower attendance, still brings in $413,667 more per game ($16,960,347 for 41 games) than Ottawa?

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015
Derailed another f***ing thread that's about Karlsson just because he can't stand one person saying a bad thing about his freaking employer Eugene.

Like every thread he enters, it turns into a thread about Melnyk and the finances of the team, all because of 1 poster. Can the mods do something now? Or do we have to keep up with this shit show?

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Jesus man,enough with the excuses.....Ownership has not done enough to encourage fans to come to the games,their marketing is shit...Its doesnt take a rocket scientist to realise,that this market was always going to need a committed ownership group...

One that would do everything possible to dull the white noise ,of the two huge hockey markets we are sandwiched between....Both the first group and now the second have failed....Budgets and doing everything on the cheap all the f***en time has grown tiresome,and us fans are rightfully demanding more....You want to make money EM then f*** off and give us something other than some other old tired excuse

Reactions: L'Aveuglette

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
The Sens also receive $6M US per season from the NBC television deal, and approximately $20M from the Sportnet national television deal - so about $60M Canadian per season for television rights alone.

Don't forget that the Sens have to pay executive salaries. The president of the club is due for a raise and will probably make $30 million dollars next year.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
If I found out I was only worth Honka I'd also keep a low profile

I mean it's really no surprise that no teams are willing to give up a ton unless EK is willing to sign long term with them and then there aren't many suitors that seem to be a fit with EK controlling where he's willing to sign so it's not a surprise Ottawa hasn't had crazy offers. If EK is only willing to sign with 1-2 teams then those two teams won't have to give up much more than what the price would be for a rental Karlsson.

That being said it's excellent for Ottawa that this is on the low right now. I really think Ottawa management had to take a step back and re-evaluate if the offers weren't good enough. You can't trade Karlsson for an underwhelming return it's not an option at this point. Not only that but you need to think about what would be the benefit of keeping Karlsson (even for only until the deadline) for players like Chabot and Wolanin. Just taking that pressure off these kids and having probably the best mentor in the NHL will have a great impact on them and also the rest of the team.

Unless something really blows you out of the water, you keep him at least until the deadline and then reassess the situation if EK really isn't willing to sign. If he's not willing to sign then you deal him to a contender at the deadline and at that point you have 16 teams trying to acquire him and that will certainly drive the price up so that we get something good in return (I mean as good as what's been reported lately... which is closer to a rental acquisition price than a long term extended Karlsson price).

I think you need to keep Karlsson and hope that he will re-sign, try to convince him that things will work out and that the team will be competitive in the future with the young guys coming up. Make trades to free up money so that we can keep Karlsson if necessary. Trade Smith, Ceci, Pageau if you have to make some space.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
So I guess someone could read a number of things in these (Forbes) numbers ........ such as even with higher attendance in Ottawa, their revenue per fan is $27 lower than Winnipeg .... so does that mean that Winnipeg, with lower attendance, still brings in $413,667 more per game ($16,960,347 for 41 games) than Ottawa?

I'm not about to get into a discussion with you but just wanted to tell you that you dont understand the numbers. Revenue per fan is local revenue divided by metro population. So no that does not mean Winnipeg brings in 413K more a game than Ottawa.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

research

it's all teams

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Question then.. as I just saw on twitter. Why was some big EK banner just taken down if he's staying?

That banner was an advertisement for the iPhone so it's possible that whatever agreement Apple had with the Senators to display the banner may have finished.

Although, my guess is that they are getting ready to replace it with a Julius Honka Apple banner. Who knows though.

Reactions: Daffy

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
That banner was an advertisement for the iPhone so it's possible that whatever agreement Apple had with the Senators to display the banner may have finished.

Although, my guess is that they are getting ready to replace it with a Julius Honka Apple banner. Who knows though.

iPhoneXStevenStamkosselfie.jpg

An added visual reference....I'm guessing it's the banner that looks like the one behind Stamkos there, except it has Karl on it. It has been on the front of the CTC for a while.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Things have probably gone quiet because most GMs are on vacation. I just hope this isn't Dorion sleeping at the wheel and more about playing hard ball if he does indeed have to trade him soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->