Rumor: Karlsson goes to Tampa..Tor vs TPA allstar games

dougieg93

Pray for Parayko
Jun 17, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Karlsson soo overrated. Id rather have tampa have karlsson than sergachev . Matthews will just undress karlsson over and over again

He didn't have a great season last year but he went through a lot personally and wouldn't discount a bounceback season. Also him and hedman are going to be really scary as a pair.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You're right. From what I can find the cap is $79.5 million and the floor is $58.8.
Now that being said, you can have players that bring you to a 60 million in cap but their actually salaries are much lower. So finding players that have been paid the bonus with a large cap helps another team and you only have the pay the individual 2-3 million. Ryan is costing them.
60 million in cap, 40 million in salaries.

Ryan to Vegas for Clarkson is a start.

I think Clarkson is covered by insurance, and then maybe Boland is in the same boat.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

But if you look at it as adding to their offence, Like if they added JT then its pretty close to the same numbers jt score per year. If Karlsson gets back to a ppg dman. ITs suring up their offence not their defence if they get Karlsson

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Stamkos + Kucherov >> outscore Matthews and Tavares
2 X Norris Dmen Hedman + Karlsson both scoring 70+ points = Marner and Nylander statistically.

Leafs might have the best offense but TB will be close, but TB will be among the best Dcores adding Karlsson and McDonagh to add Norris winner Hedman.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
he didn't look like the same skater all year, that is the issue. He had a serious injury that could stop him being a dominant skater again, it wasn't that his points were down its how he looked. Skating is a major reason why he is so good if its gone down even a little bit I don't think he is a top5 NHL player anymore.

Now maybe it just needed a full off season to heal and he comes back as the beast we all know, also just as possible as the above scenario. But without knowing he will get back to 100% its a risk in cap space and assets given up
Yeah, I understand that it's not his production that was off (his production was still elite last year, not sure how anyone could argue that that was rusty) but I just think he had so much going on, compounded on top of the injury, and can see how, even if he had been fully healthy, his heart wasn't in it.

Kinda like Zaitsev - There was an injury there, for sure, but also lots of psychological stuff going on behind the scenes.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
Even with JT, I don't think the Leafs are better than Tampa (though I consider us firmly ahead of Boston and in striking distance of TB). If they get Karlsson they will have taken another major leap forward.
I think they were already more talented without him. Just inexperienced. With him + a more seasoned team puts them above.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
These are bad takes, I'm especially surprised in light of so many other fan bases and pessimists/morons(like Gord Miller) telling us what a fatal mistake signing JT will prove to be, you have an opportunity to sign a player of McDonough's caliber well below market value you sign first and ask questions later. Great player, great trade, great contract, in fact it is signings like the McDonough contract, Hedman, Stamkos, all coming in well below some comparables that is the reason they're still in this discussion. I must admit tho I am baffled by the notion that they could swing this with Kucherov still up in the air, notwithstanding the McDonough contract was a "smart signing" no matter what happens next.
McDonough might be a small step above Gardiner. With the tax advantage, he was a huge overpay for Tampa.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
People comparing this pickup to Tavares in the Eastern Confernce "arms race" need to remember we picked up Tavares for nothing, TB is going to have some serious minuses with this acquisition, so it's still a net positive for the Leafs relative to TB.
EK is no Drew Doughty. They will seriously over pay for him

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
2 X Norris Dmen Hedman + Karlsson both scoring 70+ points = Marner and Nylander statistically.

Leafs might have the best offense but TB will be close, but TB will be among the best Dcores adding Karlsson and McDonagh to add Norris winner Hedman.

How about goals?
Tavares - 37
Matthews - 34 (in 62 games)

Stamkos - 27 (in 77 games)
Kucherov - 39

;)

Listening to an Islander analyst the other day and he was saying people are going to have their eyes opened as far as how good Tavares.
Was saying how over the years he's played with depth players who cash in based on playing with Tavares and go elsewhere and tank.

Key players might be Johnsson and Kapanen.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
But if you look at it as adding to their offence, Like if they added JT then its pretty close to the same numbers jt score per year. If Karlsson gets back to a ppg dman. ITs suring up their offence not their defence if they get Karlsson
Both Marner and Matthews have made Karlsson look silly. He doesn't play well against top forwards. His QoC numbers show he plays sheltered minutes. This runs up his point total. He is ranked 91st in the league for defensemen as far as QOC goes.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
How about goals?
Tavares - 37
Matthews - 34 (in 62 games)

Stamkos - 27 (in 77 games)
Kucherov - 39

;)

Listening to an Islander analyst the other day and he was saying people are going to have their eyes opened as far as how good Tavares.
Was saying how over the years he's played with depth players who cash in based on playing with Tavares and go elsewhere and tank.

Key players might be Johnsson and Kapanen.

How many more goals will JT score than JVR did ?? Last year it was +1 Leafs.

Agreed Kappy and Johnsson need to replace Bozie and Leo and and will be key players.

Secondary scoring ??

Brayden Point, C ........... 82 games 32-34-66 points
Yanni Gourde, LW ........ 82 games 25-39-64 points

Totals 57 goals 73 assists 130 points

Mitch Marner, C ............... 82 games 22-47-69 points
William Nylander, RW ..82 games 20-41-61 points

Totals 42 goals 88 assists 130 points.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Both Marner and Matthews have made Karlsson look silly. He doesn't play well against top forwards. His QoC numbers show he plays sheltered minutes. This runs up his point total. He is ranked 91st in the league for defensemen as far as QOC goes.

He’s really not a defenceman as much as he is a winger who plays back. He can get back in a hurry and get the puck out extremely fast which is worth every penny they pay him

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
He’s really not a defenceman as much as he is a winger who plays back. He can get back in a hurry and get the puck out extremely fast which is worth every penny they pay him
You put on some good forwards when he is on and it's like playing against 1 defenseman.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto

right, hedman and stralman (or mcdonagh) can shelter him even better in tampa thatn he was in Ottawa. As I said this should be viewed as an offensive signing. We added an 80 point center they added a ~70 point dman.

Notsince67

Apr 27, 2018
right, hedman and stralman (or mcdonagh) can shelter him even better in tampa thatn he was in Ottawa. As I said this should be viewed as an offensive signing. We added an 80 point center they added a ~70 point dman.
an 80 pt centre drawing the best defense a team has to offer:nod:

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017

The best DCore that finished 16th in GA while having a Vezina nominee in net and allowed lots of chances last year, similar to the Leafs last year.

Also, Stamkos+Kucherov is not > Matthews and Tavares, lol.

Aintboutdatlyfe

Oct 21, 2017
Look, Tampa would be favourites with EK. But no team with Matthews-Tavares-Kadri down the middle and on the ice for 50 minutes a night will ever be out of any playoff series, not to mention the other great players that are on the Maple Leafs.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
McDonough might be a small step above Gardiner. With the tax advantage, he was a huge overpay for Tampa.

STRONGLY disagree. He hasn't adjusted well to Tampa in his small stint but he was a higher end number one dman for years and on a team that went to the cup finals, this is a huge hot talk that reeks of recency bias, which is ironic considering how Jake's season ended, and it would get absolutely buried on the main boards, by the media, by general managers, by NHL players, basically anywhere other than here...and even still I doubt many people support that.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Get real. Come on, that's just silly.
You haven't watched McDonagh in the last few years clearly. Gardiner couldn't hold a candle to old McDonagh, but now I think McDonagh is overrated & that contract will haunt Tampa. He's slowing down, his offensive production is WAY down. The rugged style that made him a close to elite 2 way dman is starting to take its toll. He's still better than Jake, but the gap is not big & IMO will continue to close. I'd say at this stage McDonagh is a fine #2, with Jake being a good to very good #3.

That said if they have a second pairing of McDonagh-Stralman, my god. Still very very good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad