Rumor: Karlsson goes to Tampa..Tor vs TPA allstar games

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You haven't watched McDonagh in the last few years clearly.

I've watched plenty of Ryan McDonagh. I don't agree with your assessment at all. I think he would be a substantial upgrade on Jake Gardiner.

I thought the Leafs should have chased hard after him last year when he was available.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
STRONGLY disagree. He hasn't adjusted well to Tampa in his small stint but he was a higher end number one dman for years and on a team that went to the cup finals, this is a huge hot talk that reeks of recency bias, which is ironic considering how Jake's season ended, and it would get absolutely buried on the main boards, by the media, by general managers, by NHL players, basically anywhere other than here...and even still I doubt many people support that.
So Gardiner plays now on a better teamfor the first time in his career and you discount it?
Even the fantasy boards have traditionally had them closely ranked.
Last year, Gardiner was a better possession player and a better pts/60.
Saying many people don't support it isn't true

Reactions: topched

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
They have Ryan Callahan who is a horrible Phaneuf contract. They are trying to move him back to the Rangers as part of the Karlsson deal.

Yes, but it isn't another 4 years at $7 million, okay Phaneuf is down to 3 years at $7 a year. (Ottaws's retaining on him)

But yes, 18 points for close to $6 million?

Hope he has great intangibles!

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
So Gardiner plays now on a better teamfor the first time in his career and you discount it?

But he strongly disagreed lol

Reactions: topched

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
The sooner we can get posters speaking in terms like this rather than purely in eye test the better. I'm all for advocating based on what you see, but for most of the posters here who aren't watching 82 games for every team at all times, the numbers add a lot of value.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Yes, but it isn't another 4 years at $7 million, okay Phaneuf is down to 3 years at $7 a year. (Ottaws's retaining on him)

But yes, 18 points for close to $6 million?

Hope he has great intangibles!

The worst part is: that's what they have to show for trading away Martin St. Louis!

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario

You seem to think people are talking about a hockey pool though. We're talking about a hockey team, and when it comes to actually playing defense, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single general manger that would tell you Jake Gardiner and Ryan McDonagh are comparable in terms of play defense.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
You seem to think people are talking about a hockey pool though. We're talking about a hockey team, and when it comes to actually playing defense, I think you'd be hard pressed to find a single general manger that would tell you Jake Gardiner and Ryan McDonagh are comparable in terms of play defense.
Evidence?

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
Lots of RHD on that team (with Karlsson) and freeing up $4.24MM for the next 4 years might help them

Honestly, I don't believe for a damn second that Dubas is done lol

I also like what he thinks of our prospects, and I think we have a few gems in there, along with internal grow. Adding one impact RHD would be great though, it would really push guys down into preferred slotting.

I would LOVE to make a move for Spurgeon......just the thought of that

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
Honestly, I don't believe for a damn second that Dubas is done lol

I also like what he thinks of our prospects, and I think we have a few gems in there, along with internal grow. Adding one impact RHD would be great though, it would really push guys down into preferred slotting.

I would LOVE to make a move for Spurgeon......just the thought of that
I agree that a move fora RHD would be great, and I'm sure Dubas fully acknowledges that fact as well.

As much as he may want to make a move, I don't think for a second he's going to overpay. I don't think he's willing to move any of the young rostered talent from our lineup & he probably has a very good sense of how each prospect projects and won't be giving anyone away just because he wants to make an impact on D.

Reactions: DanM

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I agree that a move fora RHD would be great, and I'm sure Dubas fully acknowledges that fact as well.

As much as he may want to make a move, I don't think for a second he's going to overpay. I don't think he's willing to move any of the young rostered talent from our lineup & he probably has a very good sense of how each prospect projects and won't be giving anyone away just because he wants to make an impact on D.

100%

We are spoiled with how well this man thinks the game lol

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
100%

We are spoiled with how well this man thinks the game lol
Getting off topic here, but this is why I could see Dubas 'settling' for a 1 year deal for a guy like Hamhuis. Can play the offside, veteran, would be a slightly better version of adding Hainsey, who for 1/2 of the year people were raving about. Gives Babs more options and is a guy who has played top pairing mins for most of his career so he could move up the lineup as needed.

Would still give us flexibility to add a RHD if the opportunity arises.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
I find it hard to believe dubas isnt interested in karlsson. I think after hearing all these rumors of tampa being close to getting him dubas jumped in woth proposals. Remember, dubas did say he likes to build teams that can contend with division first!

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I find it hard to believe dubas isnt interested in karlsson. I think after hearing all these rumors of tampa being close to getting him dubas jumped in woth proposals. Remember, dubas did say he likes to build teams that can contend with division first!

I can't see Ottawa trading him to Toronto.

FlareKnight

Jun 26, 2006
Alberta
They are willing to trade him within the division.
Yeah, but there is Tampa and then there is Toronto. "The jerks that invade our arena." The fanbase would eat him alive.

Now I think he should move him to Toronto if Dubas if the offer was right. Long term....it really doesn't matter. They are going to be terrible for a long time, get the best package in return.

But I could also see Dubas not being able or willing to field the best offer. Tampa can go for it if they feel Karlsson will sign there long term. I'm not as sure Karlsson would sign long term in Toronto. While he's faced Tampa quite a bit over the years, it isn't the same as Ottawa/Toronto. I could see him wanting to get further away from Ottawa rather than staying in the same province.

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
They are willing to trade him within the division.

If anything. Him to toronto would make sens owner money. More fans will come toronto vs sens game so that means more sold out games lll

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Sure, but Toronto is a different story IMO. It would be a PR disaster for them.
I'm against trading for Karlsson at this point in time - amazing as he is, the cost to both acquire him, as well as re-sign him scares me, frankly - but even I have to admit that it would almost be worth it just for that.

At the end of the day, it's just sports - I don't mind being a little petty from time to time :P

desperateblue

Jun 17, 2004
I hope he goes to Tampa and signs a massive extension. That will mean they have to shed salary and most likely some expensive extras.
The ek of a few seasons ago is scary but the guy we’ve seen the last yr not so much.
I’m willing to bet they only play a handful of games with a full roster.
Injury’s will even the playing field as usual

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad