Rumor: Karlsson goes to Tampa..Tor vs TPA allstar games

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
We still have 16 mil of cap room next year? And we could have traded those guys, letting them walk had nothing to do with signing JT, it was because our braintrust didn't want to hurt last year's roster heading into the playoffs. We could have got picks, prospects for all three of those UFA's, so we didn't let them "walk for nothing" because of JT, no relationship whatsoever.

It's an in/out thing though. A "net" gain/loss.

Tampa is getting Karlsson for players. We got Tavares for "free" yes, but lost players via free agency. Are we net positive? Absolutely! But we still lost at least 1 impactful player in the process just like Tampa will be once they acquire EK.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
It's an in/out thing though. A "net" gain/loss.

Tampa is getting Karlsson for players. We got Tavares for "free" yes, but lost players via free agency. Are we net positive? Absolutely! But we still lost at least 1 impactful player in the process just like Tampa will be once they acquire EK.
I get it, but JVR leaving for nothing isn't related to the Tavares add.

FabledKnight

Feb 20, 2008
Oh man - Karlsson is insanely good, anyone who doesn't acknowledge that is just salty he won't be a leaf. Dude is not 30 yet, played a full season after a horrific injury and still put up as many points as Will & Mitch on the back end. The guy is a game breaker, who cares how he is in his own end, he never has to play there because he always has the puck.

People seriously overrate prospects here, Sergachev is very good and will be, if he's in the deal its a good trade for Ottawa, but Karlsson is on another level than any dman we've seen in the last 10-15 years.

Not overeating Serg. 40 in first year is really good. Just saying he is projecting. Again my hot take. Let's hope I'm right tho. We have to face tbay

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Oh man - Karlsson is insanely good, anyone who doesn't acknowledge that is just salty he won't be a leaf. Dude is not 30 yet, played a full season after a horrific injury and still put up as many points as Will & Mitch on the back end. The guy is a game breaker, who cares how he is in his own end, he never has to play there because he always has the puck.

People seriously overrate prospects here, Sergachev is very good and will be, if he's in the deal its a good trade for Ottawa, but Karlsson is on another level than any dman we've seen in the last 10-15 years.
I've never wanted him as a Leaf, not salty, more "phew" we aren't trying to get him. Potentially declining asset on a huge deal for a kings ransom, no thanks, no salt.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I mean, yes and no.

We were able to pick up Tavares for nothing because we let our UFA's walk for nothing. Yes, Komarov is no loss, and Bozak is meh too but JVR did score a lot of goals for us. We essentially used their cap space on JT.

So yeah, I get what you mean, but we were only able to sign JT because we let 3 guys walk for nothing too.

I bet Tampa wishes they could let some players walk for nothing.

I like the Lightning's defense but I prefer the Leafs forwards.

And I would not be surprised if Karlsson signs a friendly contract with a full NMC. Remember the Tavares calculator, 11 in Toronto is equal to about 9 in Tampa. The NMC protects that advantage. I believe California was disadvantaged as well so Doughty's 11 is less than 9 in Tampa.
https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/tavares-calculator

I don't see any difference between the Leafs retaining their players and the Lightning retaining their players.

Lightning are going to have to move a couple players, but they'll do that and Stralman is gone end of year if not sooner (or part of the deal).

Players they'll have to move have value, they aren't Clarkson, Horton or Lupul. Nor do they have a horrible Phaneuf contract.

If they get lessor value because they're hard against the cap you just weigh that against the gain you get from having an elite d-corps.

I'm fine with the Lightning landing Karlsson, better playoff matchups. Meaningful wins!

Hmm, if Phaneuf retires before his contract is up do the Leafs have an cap hit to cover? Hearing about the horrible deal the Predators are in if Webber retires before end of his deal. Franchise crippling.

Last edited:

ashs

Oct 27, 2007
From what I saw of EK last year. He did not resemble the player he use to be. Injuries may have finally taken their toll on him which is unfortunate but if someone is going all in on him, they better be sure they know what they are getting.

Reactions: Walshy7

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Hard to blame a guy for not looking 100% given the situations he's been in in Ottawa the past little while (and this year, in particular).

I expect Karlsson to be his usual dominant self once he's in a healthier environment. Still hoping that environment is somewhere like Dallas, though...

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If Karlsson is in Tampa Sergachev likely isn't

I'm not sure ... certainly would be a target of the Senators, but the Lightning have other very nice pieces the behind the 8-ball Senators could target.

Do we have any idea what Eugene is doing in Ottawa. He's pulling the strings, and is part of this going to be to appease Duchene, to entice him to re-sign?

Does part of the equation become, we want to be competitive this year (devalue their 1st. owned by Colorado?), so getting actual players rather than prospects you hope can play?

They do have to be above the floor :laugh:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
wow, that a stacked team!

He better come in at 10 or so otherwise that bs tax advantage will allow tb to constantly have stacked pieces. Shit needs to be negated.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I'm not sure ... certainly would be a target of the Senators, but the Lightning have other very nice pieces the behind the 8-ball Senators could target.

Do we have any idea what Eugene is doing in Ottawa. He's pulling the strings, and is part of this going to be to appease Duchene, to entice him to re-sign?

Does part of the equation become, we want to be competitive this year (devalue their 1st. owned by Colorado?), so getting actual players rather than prospects you hope can play?

Why would Duchene stay?

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013

Isn't the rumour that with all the new stadium talk and land transaction, Eugene is in debt to a tune of over 100 million? He had to borrow against the loan?
If that is the case, shedding everything to get to the cap floor is probably what is in order.
What is the salary cap floor for this year? Ottawa is currently at around 60 million. More on their way out.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Why would Duchene stay?

Have we heard of him being shopped?

Duchene is in the exact same scenario that Karlsson is.

I have no idea why he would stay unless he thinks it isn't as dire as the media makes it out to be?

Maybe he likes Ottawa?

If he doesn't sign this summer I think he'll be moved next, thus maybe Eugene wants NHL players from the Karlsson deal to put together an NHL team that Duchene would want to be part of.

Maybe next week the Duchene auction :popcorn: starts, the Canadiens need a center.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Isn't the rumour that with all the new stadium talk and land transaction, Eugene is in debt to a tune of over 100 million? He had to borrow against the loan?
If that is the case, shedding everything to get to the cap floor is probably what is in order.
What is the salary cap floor for this year? Ottawa is currently at around 60 million. More on their way out.

I was looking but I thought I heard it was 58?

So if they move out 6, they have to bring back enough to keep them above the floor, and it isn't like they can just keeping adding players to get to the floor there is a limit :laugh:

And if they find some taker for Ryan, even if they retain, they have to fight to reach the floor.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
If I was a TB fan, I wouldn't want to move Sergachev in a deal for Karlsson. Would rather just stick with the young guy who looks on his way to being a star in his own right.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I hope he doesn't go there man. Hopefully they send him out west. Tampa has a great package though of prospects and a lot to offer the Sens so you never know, Dorion might just be that stupid and trade him in the same division.

Dorion is very anti trading in the division, which is why Hoffman was a member of the sharks for about 26 minutes. Im hoping he continues that trend. EK on Tampa would be crazy, but Tampa would have to mortgage their future and lose some good prospects

Albz

Jun 30, 2018
Karlsson soo overrated. Id rather have tampa have karlsson than sergachev . Matthews will just undress karlsson over and over again

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Karlsson is an elite offensive defensman, no doubt... but he would take PP time away from other players too...

Lets say the addition of Karlsson adds another 25 goals to the Lightning roster, in all seriousness he'll likely cost them a few too. Hedman likely won't get 60 points, Sergacheyv likely won't get 40 points, McDonaugh likely won't get more than 30 points... etc.

Tampa just finished 1st in goals, the 6th best offensive season in the last 20 years (2nd in the last 10). Lets say they improve their goal scoring total by 25 goals, that would bring them to the best offensive team in the last 20 years.... They still have holes and are vulnerable defensively... Last year they allowed 234 goals against (middle of the pack), and Karlsson doesn't fix that.

He will 100% fix that because he's the kind of player that pushes the puck the other way. He isn't good just because he puts up points and that's the problem with your argument. Being good defensively has nothing to do with size, strength and blocking shots. When he's on the ice, the puck isn't in his own very often.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He will 100% fix that because he's the kind of player that pushes the puck the other way. He isn't good just because he puts up points and that's the problem with your argument. Being good defensively has nothing to do with size, strength and blocking shots. When he's on the ice, the puck isn't in his own very often.

IMO that is what made Kaberle effective, retrieve puck, one step move, and pass the puck. Over and over and over again, same play.

Reactions: SprDaVE

Zizzzzy

Dec 6, 2017
I've never wanted him as a Leaf, not salty, more "phew" we aren't trying to get him. Potentially declining asset on a huge deal for a kings ransom, no thanks, no salt.

I feel its a very risky contract to sign. I do feel he is riding his early years success and going to get paid for the player he was before his injury. I will very likely be proven wrong as I am really only basing that opinion on watching him play against us last year which is a pretty small sample size. Our forwards skated around him like he was Dion Phaneuf, nothing I'd want to toss 12m at, that's for sure.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Ottawa might lose Mark Stone next summer.

He filed for arbitration, and the contract will be a 1 year deal, making him a UFA next summer.

When the Sens were in Vegas, I guess Stone’s parents made the trip there. Someone posted on Twitter that they were sitting close, and when a PR guy came to check on them, I guess they asked how Ottawa was and Stone’s parents called the organization a “shit show”.

Could you imagine Ottawa trading Karlsson, and then having to trade Stone at the deadline/have him walk for nothing?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Karlsson soo overrated. Id rather have tampa have karlsson than sergachev . Matthews will just undress karlsson over and over again

In era adjusted point totals, Karlsson is behind just Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey.

He’s literally the greatest offensive defenseman of this generation.

Listen, I hate his defensive game, but the dude is a stud.

With that stacked Tampa Bay teams offense, he could put up some INSANE totals.

Reactions: The Magic Man

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I was looking but I thought I heard it was 58?

So if they move out 6, they have to bring back enough to keep them above the floor, and it isn't like they can just keeping adding players to get to the floor there is a limit :laugh:

And if they find some taker for Ryan, even if they retain, they have to fight to reach the floor.
You're right. From what I can find the cap is $79.5 million and the floor is $58.8.
Now that being said, you can have players that bring you to a 60 million in cap but their actually salaries are much lower. So finding players that have been paid the bonus with a large cap helps another team and you only have the pay the individual 2-3 million. Ryan is costing them.
60 million in cap, 40 million in salaries.

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Hard to blame a guy for not looking 100% given the situations he's been in in Ottawa the past little while (and this year, in particular).

I expect Karlsson to be his usual dominant self once he's in a healthier environment. Still hoping that environment is somewhere like Dallas, though...

he didn't look like the same skater all year, that is the issue. He had a serious injury that could stop him being a dominant skater again, it wasn't that his points were down its how he looked. Skating is a major reason why he is so good if its gone down even a little bit I don't think he is a top5 NHL player anymore.

Now maybe it just needed a full off season to heal and he comes back as the beast we all know, also just as possible as the above scenario. But without knowing he will get back to 100% its a risk in cap space and assets given up

Reactions: Zizzzzy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad