Rumor: Karlsson goes to Tampa..Tor vs TPA allstar games

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
If anything. Him to toronto would make sens owner money. More fans will come toronto vs sens game so that means more sold out games lll
I'd have to imagine that any game in which Karlsson was returning to Ottawa, regardless of what team he was playing for, would sell out. I'd also have to imagine that any time the Leafs are in town, they would sell out. Keeping both of those things in mind, I'm not really sure I see how Ottawa would end up making more money, with the exception of the $96M they'll save by moving Karlsson.

Perhaps I'm being naive and giving them too much credit, though?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Getting off topic here, but this is why I could see Dubas 'settling' for a 1 year deal for a guy like Hamhuis. Can play the offside, veteran, would be a slightly better version of adding Hainsey, who for 1/2 of the year people were raving about. Gives Babs more options and is a guy who has played top pairing mins for most of his career so he could move up the lineup as needed.

Would still give us flexibility to add a RHD if the opportunity arises.

Issue is, the Leafs have like 5 potential guys for the bottom pairing. At this point, it's either top 4 guy or bust TBH

Our top 4 right now is Rielly, Gardiner, Hainsey and Zaitsev, and we know Dermott is going to be on the bottom pairing. Ideally, we acquire another top 4 D, and push Hainsey down to beside Dermott, solidfying our defense.

Now, let's say we don't. That leaves Ozhiganov, Borgman, Rosen, Carrick, Marincin, Holl all battling for the 6th, 7th and 8th spots.

So by adding Hamhuis, you are assumingly, making him the guy beside Dermott, however you are also cutting off any sort of compeition between the younger players, as they are now battling for press box spots, and not playing time. Not to mention, while Hamhuis averaged 20 minutes, and put up 24 points, both his score adjusted 5v5 Rel CF% and his 5v5 Rel xGF% were in the negatives, though his 5v5 CF% was at 50.9 and his 5v5 xGF% at 52.99.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
1050 reporting that TB talks have stalled, Dallas seems a more likely destination.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd have to imagine that any game in which Karlsson was returning to Ottawa, regardless of what team he was playing for, would sell out. I'd also have to imagine that any time the Leafs are in town, they would sell out. Keeping both of those things in mind, I'm not really sure I see how Ottawa would end up making more money, with the exception of the $96M they'll save by moving Karlsson.

Perhaps I'm being naive and giving them too much credit, though?
There are only so many fans you can have come out to fill a game.
The Leafs will fill the building.
The Habs will fill the building.
Adding Karlsson doesn't make much difference to an already filled building.
But add him to Tampa or Dallas or whatever, that might add an additional 3rd team filled building.
So I agree with you. In order to make more money, you spread it around instead of bolstering something that is already full.

Reactions: IBeL34f

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm crossing my fingers EK does not go to TB.

I don't like our chances against that All-Star D with 2 Norris Dman included.

Willie Oree

Nov 30, 2010
6-8-5-13
I'm crossing my fingers EK does not go to TB.

I don't like our chances against that All-Star D with 2 Norris Dman included.
I don't know how they can unless he takes a serious discount. With Kucherov, Tampa Bay now have a projected salary cap of $65,802,499 for the 2019-20 season, with 12 players under contract (7F/3D/2G)

Reactions: Liminality

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Isn't Dallas the front-runner now that talks with Tampa have died down? That's what Larry Brooks was reporting out of NY, but Chris Johnston just said that the Kucherov extension should actually help the Lightning, and that Tampa is still in talks with a 3rd-party team that would allow them to make room for EK. Interesting...

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't know how they can unless he takes a serious discount. With Kucherov, Tampa Bay now have a projected salary cap of $65,802,499 for the 2019-20 season, with 12 players under contract (7F/3D/2G)

They’ve re-signed Kucherov at 9.5?

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
McDonagh - EK
Hedman - Stralman
Sergachev - Foote

Damn, that is a ****ing scary ass d-corps. Wow!!

What, are they going to trade Palat and a 1st for Karlsson? Don't think so. Also consider Tampa's cap situation. There will have to be some significant re-shuffling.

It isn't like us getting JT for free, they will have to give up A LOT. I'm sure Tampa isn't the only team interested in Karlsson as well.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
8 years x 9.5M

Damn. That's a great contract.

It is, but they’ll have 4 guys at 39% of the cap if it goes to 82 mill and 12 players at 80%....isn’t that the problem we keep hearing about Chicago.

One or more of those 5 million guys will need to be dealt.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
It is, but they’ll have 4 guys at 39% of the cap if it goes to 82 mill and 12 players at 80%....isn’t that the problem we keep hearing about Chicago.

One or more of those 5 million guys will need to be dealt.

They could move any of Callahan, Killorn, Palat or Johnson.

Although Palat and Johnson have full NTCs for the next 3 seasons and Killorn for 2 seasons.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyThoughts

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Toronto not an option. Leafs will not be willong to gut their team for him.

I'd be happy to offer Zeitsev a 2nd & 3rd round draft pick for Karlsson. Picks conditional on Karlsson signing an extension.
Ottawa may be desperate enough to bite. We are not desperate to offer more.

Last edited:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They could move any of Callahan, Killorn, Palat or Johnson.

Although Palat and Johnson have full NTCs for the next 3 seasons and Killorn for 2 seasons.

I would be overly upset if they got into a little bit of pickle

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
I'd be happy to offer Zeitsev a 2nd & 3rd round draft pick for Karlsson. Picks conditional on Karlsson signing an extension.
Ottawa may be desperate enough to bite. We are not desperate to offer more.
Omg dude that’s funny. What a haul.

Deebo

Jan 28, 2005
Toronto
I would be overly upset if they got into a little bit of pickle

They'll be fine.

Just like everyone says about Toronto having an FO staff that has plans in place to keep the team together.

I'm sure TB has planned this out to and are comfortable that they can make it work with Karlsson.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Karlsson is an elite offensive defensman, no doubt... but he would take PP time away from other players too...

Lets say the addition of Karlsson adds another 25 goals to the Lightning roster, in all seriousness he'll likely cost them a few too. Hedman likely won't get 60 points, Sergacheyv likely won't get 40 points, McDonaugh likely won't get more than 30 points... etc.

Tampa just finished 1st in goals, the 6th best offensive season in the last 20 years (2nd in the last 10). Lets say they improve their goal scoring total by 25 goals, that would bring them to the best offensive team in the last 20 years.... They still have holes and are vulnerable defensively... Last year they allowed 234 goals against (middle of the pack), and Karlsson doesn't fix that.

Sergachev is without a doubt in the deal for EK.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
They'll be fine.

Just like everyone says about Toronto having an FO staff that has plans in place to keep the team together.

I'm sure TB has planned this out to and are comfortable that they can make it work with Karlsson.

Doesn't hurt when your cap is artificially 10 to 15 million dollars higher than most other teams.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
TB could be offering former 1st rounder Adam Foote's boy Callan Foote instead in the deal.

Tampa isn't getting a player of Karlsson's level without throwing in a good young roster player. Sergachev or Point are the guys imo. And we all know it isn't gonna be Point.

That's my assessment anyway.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Generational RD should be 4 good pieces of: Sergachev Point Foote 2018 1st 2019 1st

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Tampa isn't getting a player of Karlsson's level without throwing in a good young roster player. Sergachev or Point are the guys imo. And we all know it isn't gonna be Point.

That's my assessment anyway.

Tyler Johnson+ Yanni Gourde, Cal Foote, + picks and more prospects however I agree Ottawa is likely holding out for Sergatchev or Point

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad