News: Karlsson apologizes for remark and wants to stay in Ottawa whole his career

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
This is literally exactly what I got out of the first article on here.

"I would like to stay in Ottawa if they match the offers that everyone else is offering. I like Ottawa, but I also am going to get paid. If they don't match, I am leaving."

That's almost exactly what he said the first time around, just with more words.

Am I missing something? Where is his apology? I did not see where he said "Sorry".

You could read the actual article and his quotes if you wanted to versus speculating.

Its #68 on the 3rd page of this thread.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
because the perception of the player will be made that he only cares about the money..and not winning etc...which is not always true.
Of course they can spin it that way. But that's not even what I'm getting at. He's a player who's a year and a half away from UFA. He's got more things on his plate than something he hires an agent to do for him anyways. Keep your mouth shut about your earnings. Pretty simple.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Lol, he's honest, a bunch of fans freak out...now he back tracks so they shut up, but make no mistake he's going to go for market value and test the market.

I don't think that's his intention. He wants fair value, and if Ottawa won't give it to him, he absolutely will test the market... but I don't think that's plan A.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Didn't read any news story but if he apologized for saying he wants to get paid, then the next day basically says he wants to stay in Ottawa regardless, then I call BS on Karlsson with this "apology".

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Karlsson will stay in Ottawa. If I'm the owner, I'd be willing to bend over backwards just to keep him in Ottawa. The team is completely meaningless without him.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Didn't read any news story but if he apologized for saying he wants to get paid, then the next day basically says he wants to stay in Ottawa regardless, then I call BS on Karlsson with this "apology".

He said he wanted to be compensated fairly but would like to see it through in Ottawa. It was portrayed as him saying he is going to get paid in FA. He apologized for how his comments were taken out of context and reiterated that he would prefer to stay in Ottawa.

“I like it here, I’m comfortable here, I’ve been here my whole career,” Karlsson said. “It’s something that I invested all my time in and something I would like to see all the way through".

That quote is from his original interview, yet many saw it as him wanting out.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Tavares, Karlsson, Doughty are all gonna stay on their current teams. These types of free agents just don't move.
that would be my bet.

their teams might be a little screwed for it too. it looks to me like it's hard to ice a complete team when you're paying these 10+ mil contracts.

Ottawa especially. may end up paying g the most of the 3 (no mercy from Karlsson) and they're a budget team with two very bad contracts already in Phaneuf and ryan).

as a player I'd love to add doughty to the leafs. he's exactly what the leafs need. but I'd be reluctant at 10 mil.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Karlsson will stay in Ottawa. If I'm the owner, I'd be willing to bend over backwards just to keep him in Ottawa. The team is completely meaningless without him.

That's just it. Karlsson is in the elite of the elite in the NHL. When is the last time a player like that switched teams in their prime? Like top 3, top 5 at the very least in the NHL.

The franchise will do everything to keep him.

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
He didn't back of his comment about him getting what he's worth. He just said his preference would be that it's Ottawa that pays him that.
Okay let me get this straight: He apologized for saying he was going to make sure he got what he thinks he is worth, but didn't take the comment back? Well there's really nothing controversial about it though. Damn people are sensitive.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
...did Karlsson
That's just it. Karlsson is in the elite of the elite in the NHL. When is the last time a player like that switched teams in their prime? Like top 3, top 5 at the very least in the NHL.

The franchise will do everything to keep him.
I'm not so sure that THIS particular franchise (read - owner) truly will....

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
This is code for he'll probably want to play for Toronto LOL.

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Maybe, maybe not but it echo's some points he made in his previous comments that were ignored because they didn't fit the story some want to push.

Totally fair.

I expect him to stay in Ottawa, but I expect him to not come cheap.

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
I'll be shocked if that cheap ass Melnyk opens the vault for Karlsson.

But I hope he does because it will destroy the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad