News: Karlsson apologizes for remark and wants to stay in Ottawa whole his career

tmg

Jul 10, 2003
Ottawa
He was being honest the first time.

This. This is what happens when an honest player is hounded by dishonest media.

There's no way to avoid a problem when he's asked, effectively, "will you take a discount to play for Ottawa?". If he says yes, he's lying and/or harming his own earning potential to placate the media. If he says no, offer any kind of hesitation, or even refuses to comment, the media will run with that as showing a lack of commitment to the franchise.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol, he's honest, a bunch of fans freak out...now he back tracks so they shut up, but make no mistake he's going to go for market value and test the market.

DDRhockey

Hockeyfan since 1986
Oct 11, 2017
He didn't back of his comment about him getting what he's worth. He just said his preference would be that it's Ottawa that pays him that.
Well eichel gets paid 10 million for one decent season and draisaitl 8.5 million for one good season and 2 times norris winner and 2 times runner up gets paid 6 million. He has already taken his discount.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As a Sens fan it is nice to hear but he has nothing to apologize for.

However the timing of his remarks was very poor: he is playing like crap and so is the team.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Borque said the same thing while he was in Boston and look what happened. Eventually the urge to compete for a cup will be to strong for him to stay in Ottawa.

How old was Bourque when he left Boston?

It seems dishonest to bring up a situation where a near 40 year old player agreed to be traded from a basement team for futures.

Ottawa is not a contender and has never been during Karlsson's time here, but the organization is a pretty consistent playoff team. They've made the playoffs 16 of the last 20 seasons. That's not a bad spot to be in if you want a cup.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I always took it as Karlsson is going to want a fair salary for a top 3 player in the league, and if Ottawa isn't going to give it to him he'll go elsewhere.

And that's fair.

Of course if Ottawa bottoms out 2 years in a row that could change things, and that's fair too.

Reactions: Riptide

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Well eichel gets paid 10 million for one decent season and draisaitl 8.5 million for one good season and 2 times norris winner and 2 times runner up gets paid 6 million. He has already taken his discount.

To be fair he signed that contract before he won his first Norris.

At the time it was deemed on the bargain sign of fair, but its not like he left twice that on the table when he signed. Had he waited a few months . . .

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
I can guarantee you he wont be playing in Ottawa unless they back the brinks truck up. Noway he takes a hometown discount at his age.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
There are specific things the just don't need to be said. Professional athletes talking about their salaries--past, present or future--is one of them. Karlsson knew he was going to create a windstorm of speculation when he commented initially. This apology will do squat to counter it unfortunately.
So everyone can talk about what he makes/wants to make in front of the public...except him?

PoutineSp00nZ

Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
I can guarantee you he wont be playing in Ottawa unless they back the brinks truck up. Noway he takes a hometown discount at his age.

I dont think anyone is under the impression that he would if Ottawa doesn't give him market value.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
For anyone that doesn't want to hit google translate, the article title "Dumt sagt av mig" roughly means "stupidly said by me."

Here's the entire article, plus another one that was somehow linked to the first one.

TITLE- Karlsson: "Stupidly said by me"
Erik Karlsson got the Ottawa fans to put the morning coffee in the trunk when he suggested he could leave the club when the contract expires.
Now he regrets the statement.
"It was a little stupid, but I did not mean that," he said
Ottawa is in a lead period. The team has only won a match in the last ten and team star Erik Karlsson has not scored a single point since the team played in Sweden in early November.
Karlsson: "Was stupidly told by me"
yesterday
About Erik Karlsson made Ottawa's supporters worried a couple of days ago, they may be a little calmer now.
The Swedish backstart believes that his attentive quote was taken from his context.
Unfortunately, they sprained it a little in the other direction. It was a bit stupid, but I did not mean that, "says Karlsson to HockeyNews.se.
2nd article linked to the article above:

Prio to stay here the whole career "
The headlines became big when the big star opened to leave. And after the night's 0-5 loss against Winnipeg, the Swedes are backing.
"I do not really think it was so I said, but that's how they broke it. I want to stay in Ottawa, it's my home and my first priority. My comment was somewhat taken from its context. It's more so that when that time comes, whether I'm or someone else, you'll get what you're worth, there's nothing more about it. My prio has always been to stay here all my career. They spanned it a bit in the opposite direction and unfortunately, it's the media here sometimes, he says to HockeyNews.se.

Erik Karlsson's contract is scheduled for next season.
The question is what happens next.
Last week, in an interview with Ottawa Sun, the Swedish opened to leave the club he has been in since 2009. His statement received great attention, but Karlsson now fits into calm troubled supporters.
HockeyNews.se met 27 years after the night's loss match (0-5) against Winnipeg explaining the statement.
"I do not really think it was so I said, but that's how they broke it. I want to stay in Ottawa, it's my home and my first priority. My comment was somewhat taken from its context. It's more so that when that time comes, whether I'm or someone else, you'll get what you're worth, there's nothing more about it. My prio has always been to stay here all my career. They spanned it a bit in the opposite direction and unfortunately, it's the media here sometimes, he says to HockeyNews.se.

Reactions: iSophagus

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So everyone can talk about what he makes/wants to make in front of the public...except him?
No. I believe it's a faux pas for all of them. Not many of them do.

The media, especially hockey media in Canada, will chew those words and spit them out however they please.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I'm gonna suggest that his agent and PR rep told him to say this.

Maybe, maybe not but it echo's some points he made in his previous comments that were ignored because they didn't fit the story some want to push.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
No. I believe it's a faux pas for all of them. Not many of them do.

The media, especially hockey media in Canada, will chew those words and spit them out however they please.
because the perception of the player will be made that he only cares about the money..and not winning etc...which is not always true.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad