News: Karlsson apologizes for remark and wants to stay in Ottawa whole his career

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
He's going to get $11 something for 8. Could be $11 even, could be $11.3, maybe $11.75 but it won't be more than $12 and it won't be less than $11.

That is my prediction.

And he'll re-sign with Ottawa.

Their is no chance in hell Ottawa let's him go without offering that much or even more.

He's the face of their organization right now, letting him leave without offering that much would be a sign to Ottawa fans that they can't keep their star players.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Because he is in a massive slump where he isn't even earning what he's payed now.

The fact that durring that slump, his focus is on squeezing every penny out of the team he is currently not helping shows incredible self-centerdness, and brands him as a baseball type "show me the money" player

Also to think that in a time when a lot of people are struggling this guy thinks the public aught to know about how many zillions he should be payed, to play a game most play for fun, makes him extreamly un-likable in my eyes,

These are the types of athlete who make me turn off the game and go do something else, I find zero entertament value in watching this type of person play, If I were a Kings fan I would want him sent home to wait for a trade.

I have no patience for these athetes scemeing how to get that extra 2 mill the'll never even use

Doughty will NEVER win a Stanley cup, his new deal will cripple any team dumb enough to sign it, and once his money is locked in, his performance wil drop, it is impossible that he could ever deliver on the type of money he's talking about, get rid of him.

Man i cant believe you hate Drew "Mr Canada" Doughty!
He a great player, so fun to watch! Seems like a fun personable guy.

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
cover.jpg

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Why is he apologizing? All he said is that he wants to get paid fair market value when he hits UFA.

If anything people added their own twist and speculation on that, likely in part of how cheap Melnyk is and how reluctant he would be to pay a guy top 5 money in the league.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I think its time to break it down. In some ways it may prove unfortunate to have had that good run last year, as it may embolden the organization to move forward with this group. Duchene is only 26 and there are other good young pieces. I would be moving EK, Brassard, Anderson, Phaneuf, Oduya, Ryan, Burrows etc. Complicated with all the salary involved however.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Aftonbladet isnt the original source. The original source is in the bottom of Aftonbladets artikel

There are two articles that I posted in same post. The 2nd one is below the first one and is separated by **********

I'm not trying to suggest which one came first. I merely translated the articles.

Thought it might be better to base conversations on the real info versus speculation.

Mea culpa I guess.

Last edited:

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I read his comments. What I'm saying is that he said the same thing he said in this article earlier, people just like to think that means not Ottawa. No. He said he likes Ottawa in the first article and prefers it in the first article too.

OK & no worries. It was a general comment. I was suggesting that people could actually read the article versus making things up based on their own agenda which we see a lot of in here on a routine basis.

Reactions: TLEH

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Now I just think you're trolling.
Nothing Karlsson has said supports your wild claims. How is it self-centered to say that he wants to be paid was he's worth? To use the play the game for fun argument is just ridiculous. This is his profession. Why would you not want a salary that matches your worth to your organization? Where are you getting this extra 2 million from and what numbers are you basing that off of?

I am a Sens fan and I don't see anything from Karlsson's comments that would make me angry at him. I think most of the fanbase was expecting something like this.

If any hockey player was paid what they were worth salaries wouldn't go over 1mil

Reactions: Cotton

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
You see the real issue here is that in our present western culture we obsessively look outside ourselves for pleasure .. thus entertainment is a gargantuan industry and therefore it's stars make a but load of money.

Got One Cup

Jun 3, 2008
Don’t see what he is apologizing for? Man said he wants to get paid, if that hurts someone’s feeling ohh well.

Reactions: Devonator

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
If any hockey player was paid what they were worth salaries wouldn't go over 1mil

The players are worth what they get paid by their teams owners, same as other athletes and entertainers.

We could get into the social inequity in pay scales for public servants, medical people, etc, but that's a philosophical discussion, not a hockey discussion.

Love to have either in Buffalo, I do like both players.

slybel

Jan 22, 2014
Ottawa, Ontario
I translated it as best as i could:
I dont really said that(that i am open to leave Ottawa), but thats how they twisted it. I wanna stay in Ottawa, its my home and my first priority. My comment was taken out of context. Its more about, when the time comes, if its me or anyone else, you are going to get what you are worth, it was nothing more than that. My priority has always been to stay here for my whole career. The media twisted it and thats how the media are over here at times.

Sounds like Trump!

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Sure he does, But his tightwad owner Eugene Melnyk doesn't want to pay what he deserves. So it doesn't matter Karlsson wants a big payday and Melnyk wont give it to him.

I don't have any nice things to say about Melnyk but theres literally no reason to believe Melnyk isn't willing to give Karlsson what he wants. It's all based off speculation, without any actual inside knowledge.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Player A would rather get paid his worth and stay put rather than sell his home, move his family, start new job, learn new coach style, find new home etc etc. More news at 11

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I couldn't blame him at first since Melnyk is so cheap and he works too hard for the Sens. But if he wants to retire a Sen, I'm down even though I hate the Sens.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
After Pierre Dorion made a comment recently that even "Gretzky got traded" after the game tonight Karlsson was asked about it and the vibe I got was that he didn't really make it seem like he thought he was a long term Senator. Now I've heard him go back and forth on the issue but the comments seemed rather evasive especially the "Whatever happens, happens". The real question is if they can get full value for him if the team acquiring him doesn't sign him long term.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad